Hottest / Coldest Football Game You've Attended

Wore pants to the UF game last year. Bad move. Strangely enough I didn't even notice the heat in the 2nd half. Wasn't a UT game but I attended a Titans/Browns game in what must have been in the early 2000s in December. Don't sit in the upper deck on a cold day at Nissan Stadium.

1990 at Starkville got the nod from me for hottest. I mean down right dangerously hot/humid.

We live 3 1/2 hours away in Memphis, and my parents brought me (A 4-year-old at the time) to that game. If that tells you anything about their priorities when it comes to child safety and Vols Football.

With the temperature exceeding 93 degress in Orlando today, heat index of 110 degrees with 100% humidity thrown in for good measure, a co-worker who's a UT alum and I were comparing notes on the hottest (and coldest) CFB game we've attended.

We both said, without question, hottest game was the 2003 UF-UT game in Gainesville. Noon kickoff, not a cloud in the sky, no breeze, easily 97 degrees in the shade.

He said your Cotton Bowl game against K-State(?) was the coldest he'd experienced.

I was at that game 4 rows back from the field. It was absolutely brutal. But it felt great to walk out of that stadium with a W.

Came here on a search for Coldest UT games in Neyland because I am pretty sure that will be tomorrow 11/18/2021. Previous coldest I can recall was 1984 against KY.

Little doubt in my mind 1991 vs UCLA was the hottest. was not only a 100+ degree day but a hotter than usual 100 degree day. And Kickoff was at 1 pm back then so no shade really anywhere. Smoky died that day (serious). Temps on the turf were reported to be 140.

Coldest game. 81 State championship AAA game in Nashville. I was a kid and thought I would freeze to death in the stands. My feet are getting cold just thinking about that game.

Not a Tennessee game, but I was at a Panthers game in Charlotte in January several years ago, and it was unbearable. The temp was in the 20s and the wind was blasting us in the upper deck for the entire game.
My friends wimped out and left at halftime. I stayed by myself to finish the game.

Dunno about coldest or hottest, but the moistest was 2011 @ home vs Montana. The storm warning pushed us into the concourses wherein I provided aid and comfort to the "enemy" in the form of shielding two buxom and appreciative Montana coeds from the blowing rain. 'Twas a good day.

Reactions: mrmax86
1983 Liberty Bowl.
ND vs BC

10*
Windchill well below zero.
From Jackson, TN, so Liberty Bowl tickets was one of my Christmas presents each year from ‘77-‘86.

Reactions: Doberman and tbh
Coldest real temp for me was a KY game in the late 50's or early 60's. They ran out of hot chocolate and I had my first cup of coffee that day somewhere around the age of 10.

Coldest I remember feeling was that Vandy game in Nashville in the 80's. I don't know what the temp really was, but that was the day we actually had point after touchdown that blew back threw the goalposts and we had like an 80 yard punt due to a wind like I have never experienced. I also was not properly prepared evidently.. Pretty sure I lost a lot of enamel off my teeth due to chattering. I had to be approaching hypothermia for real.

Hottest was also in the 80's or early 90's at Auburn... once again I don't know the temp, but people were dropping in the stands and they actually carried some AU cheerleaders or majorettes by us to the first aid station after passing out. They ran out of ice and anything to drink that was chilled.

Reactions: VAVol85 and tbh
1983 Liberty Bowl.
ND vs BC

10*
Windchill well below zero.
From Jackson, TN, so Liberty Bowl tickets was one of my Christmas presents each year from ‘77-‘86.

I was at the ‘81 Liberty Bowl between Navy and Ohio St. Not sure what the temp was, but I was a little kid popsicle.

Reactions: peaygolf
With the temperature exceeding 93 degress in Orlando today, heat index of 110 degrees with 100% humidity thrown in for good measure, a co-worker who's a UT alum and I were comparing notes on the hottest (and coldest) CFB game we've attended.

We both said, without question, hottest game was the 2003 UF-UT game in Gainesville. Noon kickoff, not a cloud in the sky, no breeze, easily 97 degrees in the shade.

He said your Cotton Bowl game against K-State(?) was the coldest he'd experienced.
Both of the hottest games I have been to were in Gainesville, especially the 2017 one. Hurricane had just swept through the area. Humidity was stupid high. It was in the 90's, and my seat was in the 3rd row behind our bench. Felt hotter closer to the field.

liberty bowl in early 70s.
on the sidelines part of the game --- EmBattledVols vs Randy White and the Terps/

Dunno about coldest or hottest, but the moistest was 2011 @ home vs Montana. The storm warning pushed us into the concourses wherein I provided aid and comfort to the "enemy" in the form of shielding two buxom and appreciative Montana coeds from the blowing rain. 'Twas a good day.
Which concourse? We were cramped in the South ones. Only fit about 5 people deep, some just had to stand in the rain. Also, for me, 2010 Oregon was up there as well for “moistest”.

Also, the wettest game was 2017 LSU, by far. LOL!
I just saw the video of that one on Twitter yesterday! I completely did not know that happened. I must have completely tuned it out, since Butch was out, the season was lost, and grumors were flowing.

Hottest for me was 2016 Florida @ Neyland, my phone overheated in my pocket and died before the 3rd Quarter!

Dolphins/Titans 2009 was my coldest by far, if NFL counts. Had to put hand warmers in my shoes to make it. Won on a FG in OT!

Cold - 1994 UK home game. Afternoon game but the wind was miserable.

Cold - 2014 Mizzou home game. The one where we recovered TWO onside kicks that were reversed and we lost.

Last edited:
Hottest 1985 UF @ Neyland. Sweltering and friggin' Shane Matthews ( I think) lit us up. Had a fine sweaty 1st date tho, so not a total loss.

Hottest - 1997 UCLA at Rose Bowl

coldest - a Vandy game but can't recall the year.. was in Neyland.

VN Store

Back