Hiking Thread

I believe this is still closed. It's not very clear to me, but I think Greenbrier Rd is closed to traffic entirely and only open for pedestrian/bike traffic up to the Ramsey Prong Bridge
Need to check on that. A dozen or so years ago a couple buddies and I hiked the "man way" from the end of Porters Creek up the ridge to the AT next to Charlie's Bunion. Awesome and adventurous hike, want to do it one more time before knees go

Last edited:
Why are so many photographers infatuated with long exposure waterfalls/streams? Yall think a waterfall needs make-up to look pretty?

I like the way it looks and it gives a sense that the water is moving. You’re not really doing anything special to make the waterfall “look pretty”, just slowing the shutter speed down some. Plus it looks better than just another iPhone pic, at least to me.

Here’s Baskins Creek Falls and a picture from the burned area
View attachment 314103View attachment 314104
Nice hike thanks for the recommendation. Of course a ton of cars parked for Rainbow and Grotto falls. Didn’t see many people on this one. It was nice. I almost stepped on and got lunged at by a Copperhead. Was sitting right next to the trail.

Nice hike thanks for the recommendation. Of course a ton of cars parked for Rainbow and Grotto falls. Didn’t see many people on this one. It was nice. I almost stepped on and got lunged at by a Copperhead. Was sitting right next to the trail.
I walked right over one on a trail at Lake Mckamey? Near the Ocoee River. My daughter, 8 yo saw it and jumped about 3 feet high over it as she screamed. Her mom then saw it and ran the other way. The trail had many dead pine branches on the ground, and the still snake blended right in.

I walked right over one on a trail at Lake Mckamey? Near the Ocoee River. My daughter, 8 yo saw it and jumped about 3 feet high over it as she screamed. Her mom then saw it and ran the other way. The trail had many dead pine branches on the ground, and the still snake blended right in.
Yeah my wife was a nervous wreck the rest of the hike

Had to go to Crossville for work this week so I stopped and hiked out to Brady Bluff on the way home. It’s one of my favorite short hikes/overlooks on the Plateau
5f3a2da5-5681-4892-b2fa-fb3a4d24523c-jpeg.368197
32518144-A7D4-4D2E-8F36-7A7CE9853914.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F3A2DA5-5681-4892-B2FA-FB3A4D24523C.jpeg
    5F3A2DA5-5681-4892-B2FA-FB3A4D24523C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 268
We went on our first family hike in a while. Went up on grassy mtn in the Chattahoochee NF. Did a little over 4 miles. It about whipped our butts, especially mine. I'm not in the shape for this YET. Did find some flowers and a cute little rat snake on road up. Also saw a bear on the way down but he didn't cooperate for a pic.

Attachments

• 20210605_152353.jpg
    20210605_152353.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210605_165157.jpg
    20210605_165157.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 7
Hiked a trail at Village Creek State Park in Wynne, AR. Trail was 2 miles round trip and I explored several side trails. I learned after the fact that one side trail led to a well preserved portion of The Trail of Tears, if I had kept going. I plan to go back.
I wore my new Saucony Mad River trail runners for the first time on trail. So far so good.
1624046818017.jpeg
Mad River 2 are supposed to be really good. I found these cheap since they are earlier model. They have wide toe box.

1624137505261.jpegSection of The Trail of Tears - Memphis to Little Rock Road. We were only hikers on the trail. It was weird to think about all the people who traveled this road in 1800’s. There are really good signs which tell story of Trail. Each Native American tribe has their own sign. Plus a sign telling about the construction of the road. The entire trail is called the Military Road trail.

Last edited:
Thanks to the TennesseeOnMe tourist promotion, I'll be in E. Tennessee from Oct. 9-12. My wife and I will spend a couple of days hiking in the Smokies but on the 12, we nned to get back to Nashville airport by 2 PM. I could use some good hiking suggestions (2-4 miles) for the Cumberland Plateau area between Knoxville and Nashville.

VN Store

Back