Hiking Thread

I've trout fished in small streams since I was a kid, and am surprised at how little I come across snakes. They don't really want anything to do with us. It goes in stretches... take 5 fishing trips, no snakes. 1 fishing trip, 5 snakes.

I was sitting on a rock at Citico one year cleaning my trout. Feet in water. Knee deep maybe. Pulled trout back up from rinsing and a 5 foot brown snake that had locked down my trout's tail came up with him between my legs. It's amazing the noise a young man can make and how fast you can come up from that position. The trout and the snake both flew a good 10 feet. He did let go. I found my trout about 50 yards down stream and got it back. Only had two other close encounters. Another fishing where I step on a large boulder and looked down. About an inch from my foot was a very large snake draped across. could not see head or tail. Trust me, a 14 year old can walk on water. The other was day hiking, and that rattler was stretched across the trail. Invented a jump back dance move.

I was sitting on a rock at Citico one year cleaning my trout. Feet in water. Knee deep maybe. Pulled trout back up from rinsing and a 5 foot brown snake that had locked down my trout's tail came up with him between my legs. It's amazing the noise a young man can make and how fast you can come up from that position. The trout and the snake both flew a good 10 feet. He did let go. I found my trout about 50 yards down stream and got it back. Only had two other close encounters. Another fishing where I step on a large boulder and looked down. About an inch from my foot was a very large snake draped across. could not see head or tail. Trust me, a 14 year old can walk on water. The other was day hiking, and that rattler was stretched across the trail. Invented a jump back dance move.
I was fly fishing once and a snake was swimming across the river right at me so I decided to hit him with the fly. The problem was that I hooked him. It took me a very short time to cut the line.

qrF4Gaf.jpg

Went out to Bob Bald and the Hangover from Beech Gap on the Cherohala Skyway this weekend. Was lucky enough to catch this awesome view from the Bald on the way back to my car.

My wife gets a 50% discount at North Face for being a healthcare workers. I need aome new hiking boots/shoes. Was leaning toward Keen again but 50% is getting my attention. Anyone ever had NF shoes before?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My wife gets a 50% discount at North Face for being a healthcare workers. I need aome new hiking boots/shoes. Was leaning toward Keen again but 50% is getting my attention. Anyone ever had NF shoes before?
My one experience with NF boots wasn’t good. they tore after 3-4 hikes. I’m sure I probably just got an unlucky pair though. I have or have had numerous keen boots for work or hiking. No issues to speak of. Same for timberlands

Reactions: BenGrimm
I’m actually working in a old pair of keen hiking high tops today that I’ve beaten nearly to death and the water proof layer still works 9A66884C-B6CE-4A13-B38C-289A3FECB601.jpeg

Reactions: BenGrimm
Shoes are definitely one of those things that depend on the individual.
That being said my last 5 pairs have been NF 109 Ultra. When you you get older comfort and support are very important, and are harder to find.
Not cheap, but at 50%, wow.

REI sells them. A few other stores.

I’m actually working in a old pair of keen hiking high tops today that I’ve beaten nearly to death and the water proof layer still works View attachment 272440

Im on my second pair of Keen boots. Actually the first pair had an issue of the glue on the heal came apart in first few months. Was more of a cosmetic issue but they were still so new I called in the warranty and they sent me another pair with no hassle. Told me to keep the original so I got some Shoe Goo, patched it up and wore them out over next couple years. Saved the replacement pair until it was needed.

Also have some Keen sandals I love. We get the kids Keen sandals and the rubber toe hold up so well we got them all some hiking shoes for every day use too.

So yeah... Ive become pretty brand loyal LOL

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Shoes are definitely one of those things that depend on the individual.
That being said my last 5 pairs have been NF 109 Ultra. When you you get older comfort and support are very important, and are harder to find.
Not cheap, but at 50%, wow.

REI sells them. A few other stores.

The 109 Ultra is what I was looking at.

The NF 109 Ultras today. Just wearing them around the house and I like them. The soles feel very supportive. This will be my first pair on non-boot hiking shoes.

Hopefully I’ll get to break them in on a little trail this week. Kids are getting over some poison ivy they picked up on a short hike last week ☹️

I have Chippewa hiking boots, probably 15-20 years old and will easily last another 15-20. They are awesome for fit, weatherproofing, cushioning, tread, support, and kicking hippies in the butt (jk). If I am doing the sort of hiking that does not require ankle support, I just wear trail running shoes. I buy a couple of pair a year at the New Balance outlet at Opry Mills when they have a BOGO sale, which seems to be almost constantly. They won't last a long time but it is so nice to have lightweight shoes with a good tread.

Rock Creek Gorge is an awesome spot for waterfalls. There are something like 16 named falls in the 244-acre scenic area. I made it to 5 of them on Saturday.
OowgLSr.jpg
Rock Creek Falls (aka Rainbow Falls)
hKcshPz.jpg
Chestnut Mountain Falls
5FNELS6.jpg
Thornburg Ridge Falls
S8JniO7.jpg
Copperhead Falls
bpXdKSE.jpg

Big Bluff Falls

VN Store

Back