Hiking Thread

Yeah, the entire Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area, including Caesars Head, is great. I grew up near there.

I'm looking for new/less crowded areas. Chestnut Ridge is about 20 min from our house. It was new to us, but it's been around a while. I'd say there were 15-20 cars there when we left, which overflowed the limited parking, but certainly wasn't bad.

Reactions: volwindy
I’ve probably hiked about 400 miles in the last two years and have only seen one rattlesnake, and it just sat there as I walked by.
Couple copperheads, one rattlesnake, and a bunch of black, water, or harmless snakes that always freak you out! 😆

I’ve probably hiked about 400 miles in the last two years and have only seen one rattlesnake, and it just sat there as I walked by.

I've trout fished in small streams since I was a kid, and am surprised at how little I come across snakes. They don't really want anything to do with us. It goes in stretches... take 5 fishing trips, no snakes. 1 fishing trip, 5 snakes.

Reactions: vollygirl
I've trout fished in small streams since I was a kid, and am surprised at how little I come across snakes. They don't really want anything to do with us. It goes in stretches... take 5 fishing trips, no snakes. 1 fishing trip, 5 snakes.
I was hiking last year down here and decided to take a shortcut thru a nearby frisbee golf course saw a large snake winding toward me...he got within 5 feet and just kept on his way in the other direction....they really aren't out to get us and remember we are the trespassers on their turf

So most campgrounds in national parks are shut down. Same goes for all state parks. What about trails in national forests?

GSM trails and the rest were closed today by the park.

"Park officials announced that all park areas, except the Foothills Parkway and the Spur, will close at noon on Tuesday, March 24 through Monday, April 6, in a continuing effort to support federal, state, and local efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19. "

Last edited:
We're trying to hike and camp the Art Loeb trail this weekend but I'm not seeing anything bout the NC trails closing... only the campgrounds

We're trying to hike and camp the Art Loeb trail this weekend but I'm not seeing anything bout the NC trails closing... only the campgrounds

Not all NC state parks/national forests are closed yet (many are) except for the park office and camp grounds, so you can still use the trails at the ones that are still open even if the park office is closed. Probably the less visited trails are still open, which might be the Art Loeb trail.

Not all NC state parks/national forests are closed yet (many are) except for the park office and camp grounds, so you can still use the trails at the ones that are still open even if the park office is closed. Probably the less visited trails are still open, which might be the Art Loeb trail.
There was an article in our local paper that mentioned that some trails are open, but restrooms are closed, and gave directions on the use of your personal entrenchment tool for Those Moments. 😁

Reactions: volwindy
I will look it up. I had found a really easy 1 mile loop that was at cosby campground that I figured I could get my wife to do with us. I would love to get her involved, but she's more of a sit outside the camper and read kinda girl.

If you can grab a park trails map. The old settlers trail is a option for an out and back. Also check out the Albright grove for old growth trees

Reactions: goldenvol

Art Loeb is a pretty busy trail especially at its terminus on Black Balsam. If you need information about it call Davidson River Campground or Pisgah ranger district. I trail maintain and have not heard of any national forest trails that are shut down just facilities.

GSM trails and the rest were closed today by the park.

"Park officials announced that all park areas, except the Foothills Parkway and the Spur, will close at noon on Tuesday, March 24 through Monday, April 6, in a continuing effort to support federal, state, and local efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19. "

Waiting on a friend of mine who works there to reply. I don't believe all trails are shut down, I think you can still day hike some. Like I told them the actual message is vague. Doesn't mention trails, just says areas. Will update when contacted.

Well the GSMNP is closed trails and all.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back