Hiking Thread

There is a spot that is my favorite place on Earth at the end of the String lake trail in GTNP where it goes down a flight of steps to the shore of Leigh lake, and looks out towards a profile of Mt. Moran. But there are so many majestic vistas in Jackson Hole, that it is impassible to pick just one, so I will just say the Tetons as a whole. Granted I've not been to a lot of the best places yet, so I might change my mind. Right now Artist or Inspiration Point in Yellowstone are close seconds.

I know exactly where you are talking about. I would read on the shores of the lake very near there. We also would kayak on Leigh lake which I highly recommend.

Reactions: 1 person
To answer my own question, I would have to say that the view from Two Medicine Pass in Glacier National Park still reigns supreme. You will definitely pay a price in sweat for that view. From the trailhead to Two Medicine Pass, the trail traverses 7.9 miles (one-way) and climbs about 2,300 feet. Two Medicine Pass is right on the Continental Divide in an area that the Blackfeet called the “Backbone of the World.” Standing at the pass, you can look back to the northeast and see three lakes stairstepping their way down Two Medicine valley and, beyond that, out onto the Northern Plains. Turning to the northwest, the peaks that straddle the Continental Divide are visible for as far as the eye can see. To the southwest, a stream appears like a silver ribbon, snaking its way across the valley 3,000 feet below you.

And this isn’t even the most spectacular part of Glacier, according to veteran backpackers. The Boulder Pass Trail in the extreme northwestern corner of the park holds that distinction.

I wish we could have moved our trip in September back just a couple of more weeks, but the fist week of september was the only time we could all get our schedules together. Oh well..any time spent there, is time well spent to me.

A couple of years ago we came out of Estes Park and dropped south going to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. There is a scenic route, don't remember the name, but should be easy to look up. It was spectacular. The guy who owned the restaurant we ate at a couple of nights told us about it. I checked my calendar, and we left on September 20. Had friends fly in and meet us in Yellowstone earlier. They drove to Yellowstone through the Grand Tetons and were thrilled with the color then. We spent about six days in Yellowstone, then drove to Tetons for a few days, so they must have come through @ the 11th. Which is a long way of saying you might hit some really nice color. Hope you do. We couldn't believe it, were so glad the guy told us about the scenic route. We had planned on leaving Estes Park and hitting the interstate to go through Denver. Very glad we didn't.

Are you talking about the Peak-to-Peak Highway or one farther west as you traveled toward the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? In 2007, we had to backtrack due to the Trail Ridge Road being closed that day because of snow at higher altitudes. 48 hours of much colder weather made all the difference between so-so color and peak color in the aspen groves traversed by the Peak-to-Peak Highway.

To refresh your memory, the Peak-to-Peak Highway is the one that borders the east side of RMNP as you head to Estes Park. "It begins as CO Highway 7 in Estes Park, passes Lily Mountain and Twin Sisters, then turns south just past Allenspark on CO Highway 72, goes to Nederland where it continues south on CO Highway 119, through Blackhawk, through Clear Creek Canyon and down to I-70" (http://estes-park.com/peak-peak-scenic-byway). The Longs Peak area is accessible from the Peak-to-Peak Highway.

Last edited:
Kalispell...in the Flathead Valley, 30 mins from Glacier Nat. Park. Postcard views in all directions.

One of my uncles had a ranch near Kalispell. Daddy took us to visit when I was a kid and I never will forget him trick riding. He was almost 50 then, talk about impressing an 8 year old! He hadn't ridden in years, as in decades😀.

That is a beautiful area and Flathead Lake is gorgeous.

Are you talking about the Peak-to-Peak Highway or one farther west as you traveled toward the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? In 2007, we had to backtrack due to the Trail Ridge Road being closed that day because of snow at higher altitudes. 48 hours of much colder weather made all the difference between so-so color and peak color in the aspen groves traversed by the Peak-to-Peak Highway.

To refresh your memory, the Peak-to-Peak Highway is the one that borders the east side of RMNP as you head to Estes Park. "It begins as CO Highway 7 in Estes Park, passes Lily Mountain and Twin Sisters, then turns south just past Allenspark on CO Highway 72, goes to Nederland where it continues south on CO Highway 119, through Blackhawk, through Clear Creek Canyon and down to I-70" (http://estes-park.com/peak-peak-scenic-byway). The Longs Peak area is accessible from the Peak-to-Peak Highway.

That's it. I remember it ending in Central City; we got on the Interstate near there and went down to BCG. Stayed in Montrose. I love Black Canyon!

I trust that you have dined at the Game Lodge there. They have a wonderful menu of exotic game.

Nope..I didn't have the money left available on that trip. We had already been to RMNP, two days in GTNP, and three in Yellowstone, then Stopped at Little Big Horn and Devils tower on the way to the Black hills. Funds were getting tight by that time. In retrospect I should have spent two extra days in greater Yellowstone, and given the Black Hills region the time it deserved on a trip the next year. I hope to go back there and spend a few days.

A couple of years ago we came out of Estes Park and dropped south going to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. There is a scenic route, don't remember the name, but should be easy to look up. It was spectacular. The guy who owned the restaurant we ate at a couple of nights told us about it. I checked my calendar, and we left on September 20. Had friends fly in and meet us in Yellowstone earlier. They drove to Yellowstone through the Grand Tetons and were thrilled with the color then. We spent about six days in Yellowstone, then drove to Tetons for a few days, so they must have come through @ the 11th. Which is a long way of saying you might hit some really nice color. Hope you do. We couldn't believe it, were so glad the guy told us about the scenic route. We had planned on leaving Estes Park and hitting the interstate to go through Denver. Very glad we didn't.

I hope we get lucky and get some good color, we will be out there 2-9th..OMG I can't wait :)

My dad took us on a couple of trips to Colorado. I believe it is one of the roads we took also, I'm pretty sure it was the Peak to Peak highway.

Nope..I didn't have the money left available on that trip. We had already been to RMNP, two days in GTNP, and three in Yellowstone, then Stopped at Little Big Horn and Devils tower on the way to the Black hills. Funds were getting tight by that time. In retrospect I should have spent two extra days in greater Yellowstone, and given the Black Hills region the time it deserved on a trip the next year. I hope to go back there and spend a few days.

Have you spent any time in the Bighorn Mountains in northeastern Wyoming, particularly up around Cloud Peak and the medicine wheel on Medicine Mountain? That area would complement the Black Hills superbly. The Snowy Range Road, located in the Medicine Bow mountains in southeastern Wyoming, is another very pretty drive that is not heavily traversed (see http://www.travelwyoming.com/listing/centennial/snowy-range-scenic-byway). If you ever make it down there in the fall, be sure to stop at "Aspen Alley" (http://saratogachamber.info/play-here/things-to-do/scenic-byways/). The aspen which border that road are so perfectly aligned that you would think that the Creator used a ruler to position them.

I hope we get lucky and get some good color, we will be out there 2-9th..OMG I can't wait :)

Do you have any plans to visit the back side of the Tetons, say around Tetonia and Driggs, Idaho? It has been my experience that those areas will put on a more spectacular fall foliage display than the park itself. Not to say that you won't find any in the park, but, as you know, it helps to know the most prominent areas to target, such as Oxbow Bend. Have you ever been to Schwabacher's Landing? If the conditions are just right at sunrise, you can get some extraordinary reflection images there.

As for your specific timing, it is more probable that you will catch most of the aspen in transition to light green and/or light yellow, but little of the electric gold for which aspen are justifiably famous. Of course, stranger things have happened and it is too early to predict how good or how early the fall foliage will be there.

Do you have any plans to visit the back side of the Tetons, say around Tetonia and Driggs, Idaho? It has been my experience that those areas will put on a more spectacular fall foliage display than the park itself. Not to say that you won't find any in the park, but, as you know, it helps to know the most prominent areas to target, such as Oxbow Bend. Have you ever been to Schwabacher's Landing? If the conditions are just right at sunrise, you can get some extraordinary reflection images there.

As for your specific timing, it is more probable that you will catch most of the aspen in transition to light green and/or light yellow, but little of the electric gold for which aspen are justifiably famous. Of course, stranger things have happened and it is too early to predict how good or how early the fall foliage will be there.

Yes..We are going over the pass to Idaho when we transition from GTNP to Yellowstone. We are staying in a cabin on Henrys lake.

Have you spent any time in the Bighorn Mountains in northeastern Wyoming, particularly up around Cloud Peak and the medicine wheel on Medicine Mountain? That area would complement the Black Hills superbly. The Snowy Range Road, located in the Medicine Bow mountains in southeastern Wyoming, is another very pretty drive that is not heavily traversed (see http://www.travelwyoming.com/listing/centennial/snowy-range-scenic-byway). If you ever make it down there in the fall, be sure to stop at "Aspen Alley" (http://saratogachamber.info/play-here/things-to-do/scenic-byways/). The aspen which border that road are so perfectly aligned that you would think that the Creator used a ruler to position them.

And the Snowy Range road is on my bucket list too :) I saw it on a great road trips video.

Yes..We are going over the pass to Idaho when we transition from GTNP to Yellowstone. We are staying in a cabin on Henrys lake.

The first town after the pass is Victor. Stop at the Victor Emporium for a Huckleberry shake. If they are serving fish tacos, get them as well.

That is a beautiful area and Flathead Lake is gorgeous.

Thought I would post some pics of Glacier from our last visit. If anyone has a National park they are interested in seeing pics, let me know and I'll raid TO's photo gallery :).

Saint Mary Lake and Wild Goose Island from the Wild Goose Island Overlook .Glacier National Park-2-IMG_9720-2.jpg

McDonald Creek, and Heaven's Peak. This is 11.4 miles west of Logan Pass. The elevation at this point is ~3600 ftGlacier National Park-11-IMG_9835.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Thought I would post some pics of Glacier from our last visit. If anyone has a National park they are interested in seeing pics, let me know and I'll raid TO's photo gallery :).

Saint Mary Lake and Wild Goose Island from the Wild Goose Island Overlook .View attachment 132415

McDonald Creek, and Heaven's Peak. This is 11.4 miles west of Logan Pass. The elevation at this point is ~3600 ftView attachment 132416

Beautiful.

Had a great hike today. Not much in scenery but fauna around every corner. It was glorious.

Where did you go? We went to Bays Mountain in Kingsport saturday and walked around the lake. It is a really pretty place to hike.

Little River trail near Gatlinburg. Saw many young bucks, song birds, butterflies, and a couple of Turkey hens with their poults. Was close to seeing a bear but missed it by 30 minutes- an hour

VN Store

Back