Hiking Thread

We are gonna be there from the 1st to the 6th, so hopefully no big snowstorm..but it is Greater Yellowstone so you never know. One cool side effect of moving the trip from June to Sept is that we had to find new lodging. We were booked to stay in june at Moulton Ranch in Jackson Hole fir 3 nights, and The Gallatin cabin in West Yellowstone Montana for 4 nights, but the dates in sept were already booked for those places. We ended up booking at Colter Bay again in GTNP, which is fine with me, that place is beautiful, but still bummed we couldn't stay at Moulton Ranch cabins, but on the plus side I found this awesome place right on Henrys lake Idaho for the Yellowstone portion. I'm super stoked about staying there. The fishing on Henry lake is superb, and the setting is beautiful. The deck is literally right over the water,and it was very reasonable, actually cheaper than the other West Yellowstone cabin we had reserved. I can't wait.

Just in case you come back to this thread, Ulysses, have you ever been to the Wind River Range? It’s to the southeast of the Tetons, but far more remote and just as rugged. Here are a couple of “accommodations” in the area just to give you a sense of the Wind River country: http://www.big-sandy-lodge.com/ and http://www.pinedaleonline.com/GreenRvrLkC&T.HTM .

Reactions: 1 person
Just in case you come back to this thread, Ulysses, have you ever been to the Wind River Range? It’s to the southeast of the Tetons, but far more remote and just as rugged. Here are a couple of “accommodations” in the area just to give you a sense of the Wind River country: http://www.big-sandy-lodge.com/ and http://www.pinedaleonline.com/GreenRvrLkC&T.HTM .

I've not spent any time in those mountains, but we drove up 287 from Rawlins to Jackson Hole last trip. I will never forget the first view of the snowy, gigantic Wind Rivers from the Beaver Rim overlook, then of course we followed the Wind River valley on their north side up to Togwotee pass.

I've actually been on the Big Sandy lodge website before. I would love to visit Cirque of the Towers someday, but I got a lot of bucket list places I have to visit first. I'm knocking one off this weekend, I'm finally going to visit Mammoth Cave NP. I've been wanting to go there since I was a kid.

Bucket list in the order I would like to visit them, but we will probably just have to get them as we can.

Grand Canyon
Yosemite
Glacier
Olympic
Mt Hood, and the Columbia Gorge
Death Valley
Acadia NP
Mt Ranier and North Cascades NPs
Crater Lake NP

As you can see I'm a NP junkie now, I usually do multi week trips to take in surrounding area points of interests.

Bucket list in the order I would like to visit them, but we will probably just have to get them as we can.

Grand Canyon
Yosemite
Glacier
Olympic
Death Valley
Acadia NP
Crater Lake NP

As you can see I'm a NP junkie now, I usually do multi week trips to take in surrounding area points of interests.

I assume you have visited Grand Staircase/Escalante, Bryce & Zion?

I've actually been on the Big Sandy lodge website before. I would love to visit Cirque of the Towers someday, but I got a lot of bucket list places I have to visit first. I'm knocking one off this weekend, I'm finally going to visit Mammoth Cave NP. I've been wanting to go there since I was a kid.

I backpacked to Lonesome Lake, which is often used as basecamp for climbers headed into the Cirque of the Towers area, back in 1978. That is, however, a 2-4 day round trip, depending on your fitness level and/or the pace you want to maintain (see http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/cirque-of-the-towers-3-day-backpacking-loop-wind-river-wy).

Later that summer, I drove through a blizzard (yes, literally a blizzard) as I traversed the Beartooth Highway. That white-knuckle drive was my most memorable driving experience in the Rockies. Had I lost control of my vehicle, it would have been a long way down to my final resting place.

Reactions: 1 person

Grand Canyon
Yosemite
Glacier
Olympic
Death Valley
Acadia NP
Crater Lake NP

Move Glacier to the top of your list and, if you possibly can, go during the last week of September. That is your best bet at peak fall foliage, it will feel like you have the park all to yourself, and you are almost guaranteed to be serenaded by bull elk, since it is the rut.

Have you ever been to the San Juan Range near Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray and Durango? The San Juan Skyway, a 236-mile loop, is one of the great alpine drives in all of America, and it is particularly magnificent in fall, which, in that corner of Colorado, tends to peak around the first week of October. The Sneffels Range is the most impressive and rugged portion of that mountain range. If you have not already done so, be sure to take the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. We rode it last fall and had the pleasure of riding in one of the two surviving, original cars. Although refurbished in terms of seating, the car itself dated to 1883.

The Sawtooth Mountains in central Idaho are magnificent as well. They are very reminiscent of the Tetons, due to their having been formed in the same way (i.e. fault-block formation). The Sawtooths are about three thousand feet lower in elevation, but they are just as rugged as the Tetons and, like them, rise without foothills.

I have been to Crater Lake and the brilliant blue of that lake truly defies description. The only times I have ever witnessed alpenglow was during a fall 1976 visit to Mount Rainier. Talk about your bucket lists for backpackers; the 93-mile long Wonderland Trail (https://www.wonderlandguides.com/hikes/wonderland-trail) circumnavigates Mount Rainier.

Last edited:
Move Glacier to the top of your list and, if you possibly can, go during the last week of September. That is your best bet at peak fall foliage, it will feel like you have the park all to yourself, and you are almost guaranteed to be serenaded by bull elk, since it is the rut.

Have you ever been to the San Juan Range near Telluride, Ridgway, Ouray and Durango? The San Juan Skyway, a 236-mile loop, is one of the great alpine drives in all of America, and it is particularly magnificent in fall, which, in that corner of Colorado, tends to peak around the first week of October. The Sneffels Range is the most impressive and rugged portion of that mountain range. If you have not already done so, be sure to take the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. We rode it last fall and had the pleasure of riding in one of the two surviving, original cars. Although refurbished in terms of seating, the car itself dated to 1883.

The Sawtooth Mountains in central Idaho are magnificent as well. They are very reminiscent of the Tetons, due to their having been formed in the same way (i.e. fault-block formation). The Sawtooths are about three thousand feet lower in elevation, but they are just as rugged as the Tetons and, like them, rise without foothills.

I have been to Crater Lake and the brilliant blue of that lake truly defies description.

I agree with moving Glacier to the top.

I've not spent any time in those mountains, but we drove up 287 from Rawlins to Jackson Hole last trip. I will never forget the first view of the snowy, gigantic Wind Rivers from the Beaver Rim overlook, then of course we followed the Wind River valley on their north side up to Togwotee pass.

Beautiful country driving up that way through Dubois! Great hiking in Dubois as well. Driving through last year during the Lava Mountain fire was crazy. I came in at night and just seeing the flames was surreal.

Awesome coming on here and seeing other folk discuss such a beautiful area.

Speaking of National Parks, have you been to Great Sand Dunes?

Reactions: 2 people
And, if you can only make it to Glacier once in this life, you might want to tie it into a trip to the Canadian Rockies, including Banff, Jasper and Yoho National Parks, plus Kananaskis country (lots of Westerns have been filmed up there in recent years) and Mount Assiniboine and Mount Robson Provincial Parks. You may have to wire your jaw shut, however, from having witnessed too much jawdroppingly gorgeous country.

The last time I went to Glacier was in 2010. As we turned in our baggage to the handler at the Kalispell airport, he took one look at our Tennessee orange Columbia fleece jackets and, without our saying a word, stated, "You guys are a long way from home." Such is the power of Tennessee orange; there is not a more beautiful color in all of the college football landscape.

I assume you have visited Grand Staircase/Escalante, Bryce & Zion?

Unfortunately no..I wasted the best years of my life doping up, now I'm playing catch up. God only knows the regret I have about my lost twenties. I hope to visit those places in a two week trip along with GCNP, I have already been doing some initial planning, and I hope to take it in the next couple of years..Lord willin and the creek don't rise :)

I backpacked to Lonesome Lake, which is often used as basecamp for climbers headed into the Cirque of the Towers area, back in 1978. That is, however, a 2-4 day round trip, depending on your fitness level and/or the pace you want to maintain (see http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/cirque-of-the-towers-3-day-backpacking-loop-wind-river-wy).

Later that summer, I drove through a blizzard (yes, literally a blizzard) as I traversed the Beartooth Highway. That white-knuckle drive was my most memorable driving experience in the Rockies. Had I lost control of my vehicle, it would have been a long way down to my final resting place.

I'm working on my health right now, everytime I get something working better...something else breaks down. I don't know if I will ever be able to do backcountry trips again.

Beautiful country driving up that way through Dubois! Great hiking in Dubois as well. Driving through last year during the Lava Mountain fire was crazy. I came in at night and just seeing the flames was surreal.

Awesome coming on here and seeing other folk discuss such a beautiful area.

Speaking of National Parks, have you been to Great Sand Dunes?

No...not yet. I want to do a Utah NP trip someday also, and will include Great Sand Dunes, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Mesa Verde, but those are down the list a bit.

I have been to Crater Lake and the brilliant blue of that lake truly defies description. The only times I have ever witnessed alpenglow was during a fall 1976 visit to Mount Rainier. Talk about your bucket lists for backpackers; the 93-mile long Wonderland Trail (https://www.wonderlandguides.com/hikes/wonderland-trail) circumnavigates Mount Rainier.

Grand Canyon is at the top of my list for several reasons that are not a slight at all to Glacier. Counting this Septembers trip to GTNP and Yellowstone, that will be two trips to the northern Rockies in a row, and the GC, Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs have been a dream since I was a kid...Plus my wife's folks live in Phoenix, and I've promised her we are going there next :) I have been on the San Juan highway, my dad took us from beginning to end when I was 15. We also visited RMNP that trip. It was beautiful.

And, if you can only make it to Glacier once in this life, you might want to tie it into a trip to the Canadian Rockies, including Banff, Jasper and Yoho National Parks, plus Kananaskis country (lots of Westerns have been filmed up there in recent years) and Mount Assiniboine and Mount Robson Provincial Parks. You may have to wire your jaw shut, however, from having witnessed too much jawdroppingly gorgeous country.

The last time I went to Glacier was in 2010. As we turned in our baggage to the handler at the Kalispell airport, he took one look at our Tennessee orange Columbia fleece jackets and, without our saying a word, stated, "You guys are a long way from home." Such is the power of Tennessee orange; there is not a more beautiful color in all of the college football landscape.

That is exactly what I was on doing when we visit Glacier :)

Speaking of Alpenglow, we got to witness that on our last trip to the Tetons in 2011. My then teenage kids were mesmerized. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I lived in Jackson Hole for a year, Yellowstone Falls is probably the prettiest waterfalls in the world.

Did some work along the Dolores river in the San Juan Forest while living in Durango. Awesome area. You go southwest from San Juan NF and you run into beautiful open valleys, mostly owned by the BLM and just a bit further west is sandstone country. Such a unique area.

No...not yet. I want to do a Utah NP trip someday also, and will include Great Sand Dunes, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Mesa Verde, but those are down the list a bit.

If you do Utah NP trip then visiting Goblin Valley State Park is a must. It's not far away. pretty much right inbetween capitol reef and canyonlands.

I lived in Jackson Hole for a year, Yellowstone Falls is probably the prettiest waterfalls in the world.

I absolutely 100% percent agree on that. I also couldn't believe how when you get down to the bottom of the Brink trail, that there was no fence or anything to keep people from falling in the river. I mean the falls are right there 3-40 away, and at that point the river is a torrent, especially when we went in late spring with the snowmelt.

Hardly any, the guy to girl ratio there is worse than AK. I had have mine flown in.

This is true. Now, I also feel you don't go out there to hook up with people but if that's an intention it more than likely won't happen. It's tourists, families, and a bunch of dudes skiing in winter and hiking/climbing in the summer.

Good damn food there, though.

Last edited:
Hiked up Blood Mountain and down to Neels Gap on the AT in Georgia Sunday. Beautiful country out there. Also did a family hike at Amicalola Falls just south of Blue Ridge, Ga.

Highly recommend Blue Ridge.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back