Heupel...

Sub Par SUPERSTAR

All around decent fella.
Is a really good play caller, guess I subconsciously wasn't giving him his due, but he called a hell of game...The kids fought their asses off for him too, a break here or there and who knows...I really think y'all should be patient with this one, he's got a lot of promise.

He does some dumb things too from time to time , but it's stuff he can learn from. He does have a good football IQ and the players like his personality , so it's a good foundation to work with . Hopefully we weather the storm of losses and have a little luck in recruiting before all the Fahrmen start singing their song next November.

He does some dumb things too from time to time , but it's stuff he can learn from. He does have a good football IQ and the players like his personality , so it's a good foundation to work with . Hopefully we weather the storm of losses and have a little luck in recruiting before all the Fahrmen start singing their song next November.
I know it's not reinventing the spread wheel, but when he went up tempo no huddle it was causing us issues because he was calling good plays.

I know it's not reinventing the spread wheel, but when he went up tempo no huddle it was causing us issues because he was calling good plays.
Y’all won fair and square but we beat ourselves terribly bad today. We don’t drop that pass on 4th down then it would’ve gotten interesting. If he can recruit well then we should be dangerous in a few years

Several positives include a balanced game, 148 rushing yards against a top 10 team. The defense gave up less rushing yards then Bama. 0 turnovers but forced an important one. 3 sacks isn't terrible. Only 80 total yards less than UF.
The game ended up a similar score to what I thought and they did bad things like they always do, but the things I was most concerned with that they would normally struggle with wasn't the case.
They have a ton of issues but it does appear there are less.
Ride with Hooker, stack the box if it's not a top notch QB and hope they clear up the penalties and don't have key injuries at the worst times.

Is a really good play caller, guess I subconsciously wasn't giving him his due, but he called a hell of game...The kids fought their asses off for him too, a break here or there and who knows...I really think y'all should be patient with this one, he's got a lot of promise.

In 2017, both teams won 4 games and the game was 20-20 with 10 seconds to go at the Swamp. From 2015-2017, UF won 23 games and we won 22. We outscored UF 85-82 in that timeframe. In the 4 years prior, the closest recruiting comparable in the SEC to UT was UF. Pruitt and Mullen inherited similar slates. (Yes, Mullen inherited a little more talent but he developed a bust at that point(Franks) and a 2* guy (Trask) into guys with NFL deals and Pruitt turned multiple 4* and 5* QBs into...)

A coach makes his money at the beginning and end of halves. The rest of the game is more often decided by talent. With similar slates, Mullen's teams outscored Pruitt's teams 48-6 at the beginning and end of 1st half and the 1st possession of the 2nd half from 18-20. That was the bulk of the 69 point difference UF outscored us by.

This year, UF outscored us 14-7 in the same timeframe. That 14-7 doesn't include the 10 points we lost out on due to a missed FG and the dropped 4th down pass (likely a TD). Not saying Heupel is the answer but he is far superior to Pruitt in the moments where coaches earn their $$$.

Heupel and his staff need at least three recruiting classes to go toe to toe with Florida and Georgia............

Missouri, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt all look like winnable games this season.

There were honestly a couple of bonehead things that the staff did tonight. But, most staffs do something questionable each game.

The game plan was solid and he drew some things up and put the players in a position to execute and win.

The game wasn't lost because of coaching.

There were honestly a couple of bonehead things that the staff did tonight. But, most staffs do something questionable each game.

The game plan was solid and he drew some things up and put the players in a position to execute and win.

We beat ourselves and gift wrapped it to you guys. Not saying y’all didn’t earn it but good lord we self imploded so hard.

Reactions: igotworms
Heupel and his staff need at least three recruiting classes to go toe to toe with Florida and Georgia............

Missouri, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt all look like winnable games this season.
GOOD recruiting classes. Heupel and his staff are recruiting uphill against the NCAA and our dismal recent past.

Given our O Line, it's hard to recruit a game changing QB. Can you imagine Arch Manning looking at UT and thinking "there's a solid offensive line that can let me work....." The same goes for WRs who think, "that's exciting but where's the QB who can get it to me?"

They're going to need to get an O Line, then a QB and WRs will come. Everything starts in the trenches.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Heupel.

To the extent that we've sucked, it's mostly been due to factors beyond his control, such as lack of depth on the O-line and defense. He's done what he could in the transfer market to address the short-comings, but you can only do so much when you lose as many players as we did in the offseason.

Also, all the mistakes are killing us; I'll guess it'll take awhile to see if those are simply "growing pains" or just a common problem.

We beat ourselves and gift wrapped it to you guys. Not saying y’all didn’t earn it but good lord we self imploded so hard.

But, as I say over and over again and continue to warn this board.....that's who Tennessee is.

Heupel is obviously trying to change that. But, it's not like a random, fluke thing.

This is what I wrote in my post about the game on Monday....

Tennessee can score because Florida is not the 85 Bears. But, who misses a block and gives up a sack? Who commits a holding penalty? Who drops a pass on 3rd down? How often does Tennessee sabotage itself offensively?

But, as I say over and over again and continue to warn this board.....that's who Tennessee is.

Heupel is obviously trying to change that. But, it's not like a random, fluke thing.

This is what I wrote in my post about the game on Monday....

Tennessee can score because Florida is not the 85 Bears. But, who misses a block and gives up a sack? Who commits a holding penalty? Who drops a pass on 3rd down? How often does Tennessee sabotage itself offensively?
It’s 100% what we do against you guys year in and year out

Reactions: VolinMC

I'll say the same thing I've said since the early 00s "Coach ____ needs to raise the level of recruiting or he's going to have to out-coach a lot of people"

Right now we're ranked around 10th-11th-ish in the SEC.

I don't think we're going toe to toe with UGA/UF with players that were battling Louisville for

Yes I know signing day isn't here yet but December is fast approaching. A low ranked class just puts us another year behind.

I like him and generally like this style of offense. However, we are paper thin of depth. Our defense is going to wear down when we can’t sustain drives on offense. Our 2 TDs were big plays and they were awesome. But we continue to have problems on 3rd, and will go for 4th multiple times each game. Last night we had drops, bad snaps, and OL getting blown up at the wrong time.

Needs a QB, but I have hope.

I’d like to see the therapists notes on a dude who spends all of his time on an opposing teams message board because he likes the extra attention. You are a strange little man.

Reactions: LookoutVol
I give Heup 3 more years, with one of those years being completely undeserved. If Geoff Collins at GT continues his rebuild and is successful, I think that should be our guy

Heup is a gimmick, puts his teams in losing positions adhering to a meme system. Penalties are absolutely rampant and won’t get better. At least this staff scores points

Regarding mistakes:

It's going to take more than 1 year to fix the culture and undo the absolute lack of coaching and development our players have received from 2017-2020.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
I wonder how much the NCAA "investigation" is looming over recruits opinion of us.
There’s than and there’s the fact that Heupel is still somewhat unproven. Good news is there’s a lot of great athletes out there. Not all playmakers are 5 stars. He may have to prove himself with 3s before getting the 5s

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I'll say the same thing I've said since the early 00s "Coach ____ needs to raise the level of recruiting or he's going to have to out-coach a lot of people"

Right now we're ranked around 10th-11th-ish in the SEC.

I don't think we're going toe to toe with UGA/UF with players that were battling Louisville for

Yes I know signing day isn't here yet but December is fast approaching. A low ranked class just puts us another year behind.

I think recruits like what they see from CJH, especially on the offensive side. He will win several of them over in the coming weeks. If you look at what we are doing with 70 players compared to full rosters at KY, Mizzou and maybe SCAR, the CJH starts to look pretty darn good to recruits. We aren't going to win many battles with UGA and Bama this year! We are going to come up a few too many McDonalds bags short for many of the elite recruits.

Reactions: Orange_Crush

VN Store

Back