Heupel...

Arkansas has done it rather quickly with a worse starting position
Last year, Arkansas was 2-2 after the first 4 games and finished 3-7. Also, Arkansas was in a tough spot, but they weren’t down the numbers that UT is now.

Give this staff a full year before comparing we’re they were after 1.25 seasons. Most of these young men don’t know HOW to win yet, but they will.

This is why i think the world is weird. coach hype called a completely different game then every game he has called before. It was a growing experience. he is learning how to play sec ball... and honestly, banks was more advanced then coach hyoe's calls.

It's tough to swallow. You'd think we would be used to it with the overall state of disrepair our program has been in for a solid decade. But I'm optimistic for the first time in a long time. These guys have heart, they fight,they want to play for Heupel. They give it their all. We are so much better than the talent level and depth chart says we are. And I'm seeing development. Each week we have gotten a little bit better on all fronts. If that doesn't give fans hope for the future then I'm not sure what will. Their hands are tied somewhat with the limited roster but they're putting out a serviceable product even still. I think this staff is different and if we can recruit and hold it together I think things can be much different going forward.

Is a really good play caller, guess I subconsciously wasn't giving him his due, but he called a hell of game...The kids fought their asses off for him too, a break here or there and who knows...I really think y'all should be patient with this one, he's got a lot of promise.
I agree 100 percent. Y’all might be the second best team in the game this year

Is a really good play caller, guess I subconsciously wasn't giving him his due, but he called a hell of game...The kids fought their asses off for him too, a break here or there and who knows...I really think y'all should be patient with this one, he's got a lot of promise.
Totally agree! This staff needs a minimum of 5 years to get us competitive again!

In 2017, both teams won 4 games and the game was 20-20 with 10 seconds to go at the Swamp. From 2015-2017, UF won 23 games and we won 22. We outscored UF 85-82 in that timeframe. In the 4 years prior, the closest recruiting comparable in the SEC to UT was UF. Pruitt and Mullen inherited similar slates. (Yes, Mullen inherited a little more talent but he developed a bust at that point(Franks) and a 2* guy (Trask) into guys with NFL deals and Pruitt turned multiple 4* and 5* QBs into...)

A coach makes his money at the beginning and end of halves. The rest of the game is more often decided by talent. With similar slates, Mullen's teams outscored Pruitt's teams 48-6 at the beginning and end of 1st half and the 1st possession of the 2nd half from 18-20. That was the bulk of the 69 point difference UF outscored us by.

This year, UF outscored us 14-7 in the same timeframe. That 14-7 doesn't include the 10 points we lost out on due to a missed FG and the dropped 4th down pass (likely a TD). Not saying Heupel is the answer but he is far superior to Pruitt in the moments where coaches earn their $$$.

Mullen inherited a decent QB, while we had Gitmo

CJH calls common sense aggressive plays on offense with the intention of scoring points. I’m seeing fewer “wasted” downs on plays up the middle. This season, when we do go up the middle, we tend to get some yards out of it. Definitely like what I’m seeing.

Mullen inherited a decent QB, while we had Gitmo

JG in 2017 was better than Franks in 2017. JG had higher completion %, better TD to INT ratio, higher QB rating, higher YPA, higher YPC.

The difference is Mullen is great at developing QBs while Pruitt and Weinke are great at ruining them...

Whiners and instant gratification toddlers, I have a shocking message regarding expectation our team will suddenly become a serious contender, despite the adversity (playing shorthanded) we face. My message is:
1632687676210.png

My point is that it shouldn't take 4 years given our resources.

Then you will be on the "fire heupel" brigade and we'll be in the exact scenario again. "Resources" don't mean squat when having a good OL and DL comes down to signing players, redshirting them, and developing them. That doesn't happen in 2yrs. It takes TIME.

Arkansas has done it rather quickly with a worse starting position
I am not sure any rebuild in the SEC started in a “worse place than us”.
-fifth coach in 15 years
-transfer portal decimating the team
-current NCAA investigation
-down 14 scholarship players
-lack of high caliber QB
-two rough HC searches
-5 ADs in Past 10 years
-fan-led coup of HC hire
-ex-HC coup of AD
-Big time booster infighting

And you are free to add more to that.

Then you will be on the "fire heupel" brigade and we'll be in the exact scenario again. "Resources" don't mean squat when having a good OL and DL comes down to signing players, redshirting them, and developing them. That doesn't happen in 2yrs. It takes TIME.
Most recruits don't get redshirted. We turned it around in 2 years after Dooley. While BJ turned out to be a dud on game day, we were competitive against the best teams in the country by 2015

someone should let coach know you cant win the game in the 3rd quarter and it is alright to kick a damn field goal this is two games now where momentum has swung a great deal because we didn't come away with points. Not saying it would have won the game this week but damn sure should have beat Pit and kicking a fg on 4th down is a way better call than lining up in the shotgun and being tackled for a loss.

The only ways CJH shouldn't get 5 years minimum are

1. The team quits on him like previous coaches. Just can't happen.
2. A losing streak to Kentucky or Vandy

That's it. Otherwise we might as well give this dude some time. He obviously knows Xs and Os. Hopefully the players execute in due time and we can get some Ws to help momentum in recruiting.

VN Store

Back