Heupel press conference...

He said he didn't want to hire JH and then turned around and said he didn't offer anybody else!
I think what he means is he talked to a lot of coaches and probably came around to the person he trusts instead of a few others. We might not have offered officially, but likely said things like are you interested and what would you need to a few other people.

According to UCF'rs he runs on first and second down and throws bombs on third.
This should be a real innovative offense were looking at people's.
Trust me. His offense is not the problem. Averages 42 points a game. Scored 12 more on Cincinnati than UGA was able to. I think with a good defense, this guy will have success here

I personally don’t like this hire from a long term standpoint but I’ll give the guy a chance.

What is the thinking of whether this is purely a transition hire?

1) Works with new AD to ensure 100% NCAA compliance, no matter the detrimental effect so as to regain credibility;
2) Understands bowl bans and scholarship reductions inevitable and works to manage those as much as possible by showing #1, above.
3) Understands hit that is coming in talent, possibly for a few years; recognizes and accepts will not be competitive for awhile, maybe 5 + years until scholarships back to normal.
4) Expects to be out of the position in about four years, as the damage is coming to an end, with expectation the job goes to someone in next phase that actually starts to see it turn around.

Reactions: volkayaker
Trust me. His offense is not the problem. Averages 42 points a game. Scored 12 more on Cincinnati than UGA was able to. I think with a good defense, this guy will have success here
Just saying we did not due are best with this hire. If he was good he wood be coaching at Oklahoma or Missouri already as head coach. Their is a reason Stoops fired him and let Riley lead the offense. With Riley becoming head coach soon thereafter.

Just saying we did not due are best with this hire. If he was good he wood be coaching at Oklahoma or Missouri already as head coach. Their is a reason Stoops fired him and let Riley lead the offense. With Riley becoming head coach soon thereafter.
In hindsight, Stoops made the right call. Josh was still wet behind the ears then. Both have great offenses

Reactions: Border Vol

1) Works with new AD to ensure 100% NCAA compliance, no matter the detrimental effect so as to regain credibility;
2) Understands bowl bans and scholarship reductions inevitable and works to manage those as much as possible by showing #1, above.
3) Understands hit that is coming in talent, possibly for a few years; recognizes and accepts will not be competitive for awhile, maybe 5 + years until scholarships back to normal.
4) Expects to be out of the position in about four years, as the damage is coming to an end, with expectation the job goes to someone in next phase that actually starts to see it turn around.
I think Josh Heupel will still be Tennessee head football coach in five years.

You should really stay away from here for awhile. Go over to Swamp Gas and enjoy the celebration over there.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
He kept sidestepping the questions about current staff. Only “I’ll meet with them “.

According to UCF'rs he runs on first and second down and throws bombs on third.
This should be a real innovative offense were looking at people's.

On first down in 2020 they had 213 runs and 174 passes; in 2019 it was 252 runs and 230 passes. So, I'm doubting the assessment. I will say, however, that if they try to throw past the sticks on 3rd down it will be a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: INDEFENSE
Tired of thinking and guessing . Dude just better win, that’s all I care about . Progression and winning . This Cat goes 3-7 first year and 7-6 his second year then 4-6 then I’m done with him.

Nervousness = authenticity (most of the time) I like him. I think he can have success here. QB play will be SOOOO much better.
- Not a Saban disciple
- Not young and brash
- Not the son of a legendary coach
- Not a coordinator or first time HC
- Not a cliche monster.
* Understands our current situation and WANTS to be here!

VN Store

Back