Heupel’s offense is not innovative

Agree, that was my only point. But apparently peeps are hyperventilating

Anything beyond " Go Coach Heupel !!! " is sacrilege for some posters.

I like his offense overall.

Think the tempo hurts occasionally with execution but that should get better over time.

Much like Jones or most any good offense nowadays, it is predicated on QB play. I dont see any of these guys elevating the team to any surprise wins from what we have seen so far.

If anyone turns on the FL-Bama game, Mullen has many of the same formations. Heupel just sprinkles in more of the Briles/Baylor stuff with the wide splits and downfield shots.

I watch Coastal and App ST to see more innovative offense that everyone else isn't running now.

Reactions: Volatility
The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?
The simplicity is what helps make them go so fast

As one of the zillion Vol internet coaches I quit. I’ll just wait with all the “I told you so’s that you can stand”.

Maybe I just imagined it, but is there something a little strange with Bailey's delivery? I was streaming so no DVR to fall back on but did anyone else feel like Bailey's delivery is almost like a "wind up" and a bit slow compared to Hooker and Milton? Not picking on the kid. Really did seem like there was kind of a "hitch" to his throwing motion.

Reactions: volfan4lyfe
These are Tennessee's point totals in the first half and the second half of our games last year. We scored 144 points in the first half, 71 points in the second half, against backup players, in many cases. We blew two halftime leads, lost a game in which we were tied at halftime, and were shut out in the second half in four of our ten games.

14-17
21-14
21-0 Leading at halftime, lost the game
7-0
10-7
13-0 Leading at halftime, lost the game
10-7 Tied at halftime, lost the game
7-12
28-14
13-0

144 First Half Points
71 Second Half Points
21.5 Point Average

So far this year Tennessee has scored 38, 34, and 56 points in three games. I know we are going to lose a lot of games this year, but this year, THIS YEAR, I'll settle for just scoring some points. More progress next year.

The plays I’m seeing are not innovative or creative, just a bunch of RPO hand offs, screens, and the occasional deep shot. The only thing that’s different is the tempo. Heupel’s philosophy is to run as many plays as possible to creative as many scoring opportunities as possible. But the plays themselves are nothing special. Thoughts?

Yes. But that’s the point. Do simple things well and do them at a pace that is more difficult for the defense

Heupel has actually drawn up several good plays over the past 3 games, particularly to TEs. There have been good plays on offense the QBs have just missed on receivers. He's also not going to pull out the playbook against this team. There is also no point in creativity in a 56-0 win. He also needs to focus more on getting the basics down with a fresh team. This Offense also has a strength of keeping it simple for the QBs when it comes to reads. The tempo also demands simplicity so our own players are playing more fluid rather than thinking about what to do every single play. Creativity will come with time and HAS already been there at times. This was a bad take.

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005

Holding back to hide from UF obviously.....

We just don't have the players right now. I know we hear that all of the time (even when we do have the players).

I don't see this fast yet simple thing working out for him in the SEC at all.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back