Here is reality. We let UF put up 600 yards….

Too bad we didn’t have Volnation back in 1998 when we opened the season with a come from behind win on a last second field goal to a team that was ranked 25th at the end of the year. They out gained us and dominated the game. I‘m sure that ‘98 team would have been written off after that opening poor performanc.

Here is the reality: Florida gave UT their best game and lost. Now the Vols are a legit top 10 team and will get everyone’s best game. That’s big. That means that UT is finally making noise again around the country. Bama and UGA may have to actually prepare to play a full 4 quarters. It means the gap may be closing.

Let’s not forget what happened in Florida last year. Everybody still on the team points to that game and says they beat themselves. Well, this year there were definitely mistakes we can point to. But, just like in the Pitt game, the Vols still found a way to win. And this series has NOT been kind to Vol fans the last 2 decades so… enjoy it for what it is! UT was favored to win and they won. Didn’t have their best offensive weapon and still hung points. Heupel and staff have a win in this series. Lots to work on but lots to be happy about.

We are 17 games removed from going 3-7 and losing by 4+ TD to everyone. Yet here we are, a Top 10-12 team (at least for now).

We had all the pressure on us, and had some early adversity…and won. I’m enjoying the moment, and not griping about our roster holes.

Reactions: Sarms58 and wmcovol
It’s does need to get better. No doubt.

I do think the game plan was to make Fla offense all about Richardson. Maybe staff bought the story AR was hurt. The defense did completely shut down the Fla RB game.

My main complaint about the game was not being aggressive going for the first down late , running Hooker or quick pass before 4th down. A first down there ends it.

What is absolutely puzzling to me is instead of trashing our kids on defense, how about realizing that we very possibly can outscore most if not every opponent this year and keep us winning while our coaches recruit the defensive talent that we need for the future.
I’m afraid it’s going to end up being coaching. Hope I’m wrong

True. But we know the DBs are lacking and the pass rush doesn’t help them out much.

Getting beat is one thing. Playing a zone with 5 or 6 guys just standing around with wide open holes is another. There’s a difference in a talent issue and a coaching one. Hopefully it’s fixable.

A. Florida got basically every break possible
B. We had two turnovers
C. Richardson played his career game
D. Multiple holds AND at least two personal foul/late hits not called
E. Admittedly our last two minutes of defense was extremely eyebrow raising
F. They recovered a hugely critical onside kick

And damn$IT WE WON. Thats hugely positive in my opinion.
I agree with holding. Florida got away with a bunch of them. Worse than the weak call against Mincey

Reactions: wmcovol
Too bad we didn’t have Volnation back in 1998 when we opened the season with a come from behind win on a last second field goal to a team that was ranked 25th at the end of the year. They out gained us and dominated the game. I‘m sure that ‘98 team would have been written off after that opening poor performanc.
Great Point Hoss

The defense has to get better. Period.
They are better from last year. If we can give up 600+ yards and still win the direction is right. Our talent level isn't quite there yet. It's going to take a few years. Let's enjoy this W and what we have on the field!!!!

I think the fan base is going to have to understand that although we are 11th in the country and 4-0, this is still a relatively depleted defensive roster as far as depth is concerned. We have to be okay with that. The defense will continue to get better and by the time Heupel has a full recruiting class or two, we will establish depth on defense. We have to be extremely happy with where we are as a program in Heupels 2nd season. It takes good coaching to win in year 1-2 but it takes great coaching to turn our dumpster fire around in year one and establish a solid team in year two. Don’t know if very many coaches in the country that could have done that outside of Saban and Kirby and possibly Dabo. Enjoy the victory. A win is a win. A team could have 1500 yards and as long as the scoreboard has us scoring more points than the other team, we win. If it works, it works. It’s possible to just plain out outscore our opponent all the way to a Natty. Possibly, but not likely. Put some trust and faith in this coaching staff. They’ve earned it.

VN Store

Back