Here’s why I think ole miss wins

Hopefully we’ll have success with the run game early and wear out their defense while eating up clock. Couple that with short pass plays. Soften up the D up for some deep shots.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
Taunt Kiffin with wrecked cars,burning mattresses,popcorn and most of all a cardboard cut out of Layla dressed in Orange for signaling in plays from the sideline.
Play this over the loudspeaker as Kiffin enters the stadium...............

Ole Miss is worst in penalties committed. UT is about 7th in penalties committed but improved of late. Oddly UT is 1st in opponent penalties. UT averages getting about 70 ypg through penalties. Tempo forcing mistakes?

Good call on the penalties. Ole Miss is ranked as 129 or 130. Depending on which website you believe.

Reactions: FïreBall and sjt18
Why is "The pressure on us because their HC" ?

That doesn't make any sense. Lane Kiffin only coached one season at Tennessee, and that was 12 years ago.

Our players were somewhere between 6 and 11 years old (between the 1st and 5th grades) during the 2009-10 academic school year. I would bet a majority of them have no memory of that college football season, or of how Kiffin left Tennessee that January .... while the few players who might remember, do not care.

Only a Tennessee fan would have that on their mind right now... and you think it's going to be a determining factor in the outcome of the game? Seriously??? That is so stupid.
The reason I say that is because media buzz and all players have social media

The reason I say that is because media buzz and all players have social media
Why would they care about something they probably don't remember? 12 years is an eternity to a 22 year old... but they are supposed to feel added pressure from it? That's a stretch.

Why would they care about something they probably don't remember? 12 years is an eternity to a 22 year old... but they are supposed to feel added pressure from it? That's a stretch.

Very few people on the field have any personal attachment to Lane packing his bags in the middle of the night. This is all being pushed by spectators who cannot let go.

Reactions: firestorm
Very few people on the field have any personal attachment to Lane packing his bags in the middle of the night. This is all being pushed by spectators who cannot let go.
I would contend that most of Tennessee's roster would not know what the hell you were talking about, if you mentioned the mattress burning. This only matters to fans.

For my money Matt Corral is the best QB in the country. Ole Miss is going to score early and often. For UT to win they’re gonna have to catch some breaks. The Vol defense won’t be stout on Saturday but they have to be opportunistic. Wrap guys up and don’t give them extra yardage. If that ball hits the ground a Vols jersey has to land on top of it. If MC Touchdowns hits one of our DBs in the bread basket with a bad throw he needs to wrap it up. Turnovers and big stops are gonna be key in this game. The team that has the most (not longest) drives will win the game imo.

Last time UT played Ole Miss I felt like it was a terrible match up and proved to be correct. This time I actually think UT matches up really well. Honestly with this being a home game I feel like the advantage is UT. Lane is overly confident which is good and bad. He made some very questionable calls in that game.

For my money Matt Corral is the best QB in the country. Ole Miss is going to score early and often. For UT to win they’re gonna have to catch some breaks. The Vol defense won’t be stout on Saturday but they have to be opportunistic. Wrap guys up and don’t give them extra yardage. If that ball hits the ground a Vols jersey has to land on top of it. If MC Touchdowns hits one of our DBs in the bread basket with a bad throw he needs to wrap it up. Turnovers and big stops are gonna be key in this game. The team that has the most (not longest) drives will win the game imo.
Matt C is known for a stinkers every now and then, where he looks awful!! When you lay your head down Friday night, if you are so inclined, pray for it to be against us...lol

Doesn't take a "pumper" to recognize your kneejerk negative assumption about virtually everything... or the factual flaws in that argument.

I'm not even predicting a win. That game could literally go in any direction. They could get UT on skates and win by 3 or 4 TD's. UT could do the same to them. It could be a track meet where the last one with the ball wins. It could surprise the experts and both teams try to slow their O's down to prevent their D's from being abused. But the truth is that both of these teams have strengths and weaknesses. The team that wins will win advantageous match ups. I like UT's run D vs their run game. Limit that including Corral running... and the Vols take a huge step toward winning.

Would you like to discuss all the things your negative assumptions have made you wrong about just since the summer? You've said a number of truly stupid things while apparently thinking that you were just being "realistic".
Yea yea....everybody knows you will attack anyone that says anything objective about the vols that happens to not be positive. Come talk to me in 5 weeks after Heupel has faced some sec teams that aren't consistently at the bottom of their division in historically bad years even for them.

Yea yea....everybody knows you will attack anyone that says anything objective about the vols that happens to not be positive.
Hardly. You haven't said anything "objective". Try a little self reflection and check your own posting history. You aren't objective.

Come talk to me in 5 weeks after Heupel has faced some sec teams that aren't consistently at the bottom of their division in historically bad years even for them.
LOL... All we can judge at this point is what Heupel has done to this point. You seem to want him to fail and determined to prove he's already failed regardless of anything else. IIRC, you were one of the ones suggesting 3 or 4 wins before the season, right? Five at the most?

Those two teams... both played UK to within a TD. UT blew both of them off the field. UT may only win a couple more games this year... but that's an indication of what's "possible". It pretty much disproves your whole schtick for the last 4 months.

The game is winnable if the Volunteers defense can defend when needed which will be in the 2nd half including the 4th Quarter.

The Volunteers win TOP so the Rebels high scoring offense is on the field less.

The Volunteers offense scoring points when needed to win a close high scoring game.

Also for the Volunteers to play a successful game for 2 halves because they were completely outplayed by the Gators in the 2nd half.

You probably believe UT only has 71 scholarship players, right?

LWSVol who somehow tracks every roster in FBS showed last week that the media for some reason isn't counting the "Covid plus" players. UT actually has 81 on scholarship with one being a promoted walk on. IOW's, they're basically in the same range a roster would be in any normal year.

I pointed out elsewhere that UT's missing players aren't guys you would normally expect to play. They're mostly guys who would be in development. Fully 8 missing guys were released from their LOI in the '21 recruiting class. Very unlike any of those 8 would be making a contribution right now. OTOH, UT has several Covid Srs who are making a contribution.

So then we aren't short of total depth now, just quality depth and we don't have anyone developing at the moment so when our starters and/or lower quality depth is gone we have nobody to ready to replace them?

1.Their ability to throw the ball better than us
2. depth
3. Our injured
4. The pressure is on us because their HC
5. They’ve faced better competition than us so far

I hope I’m wrong but here’s my game and score predictions.

For some reason, we go back to making stupid mistakes that cost us a chance.

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28

Lane Kiffin is as dum as an ol stump.
Ole Miss is a bunch a sissies.
Coach Josh will outtrick em with his mine.
34-18 Vols.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
So then we aren't short of total depth now, just quality depth and we don't have anyone developing at the moment so when our starters and/or lower quality depth is gone we have nobody to ready to replace them?
Close. Does UT have the quality depth of Bama or UGA? No. But the Vols have as much or more quality depth as programs like UK and Ole Miss. They're fairly close according to 247's roster talent composite so UT could still lose or be outcoached. But too many here act as if no one but UT has talent gaps or thin spots. EVERYONE outside of Bama, UGA, TAM, and maybe UF does.

Also that means that UT, UK, Ole Miss, Arkansas, et al can have their seasons turned upside down by a key injury in the wrong spot. I don't want to jinx UT by mentioning where I think that is right now. It very well may have already occurred to UK. They just lost one of their top two DL's to an injury. Oxendine

I've said a bunch of times that Heupel's use of the portal will be critical in these first couple of years. He needs guys that come in developed and ready or close to ready to play. He has to re-balance the classes after the attrition UT suffered both from the roster and the '21 recruiting class.... but also some of the strategic mistakes Pruitt made. Not Heupel's fault but still a problem he has to resolve to survive. He needs to find and sign the right HS players too.... but the portal is going to be critical. The team's performance so far should be good for convincing some of the better players and especially if they're coming out of a bad locker room situation like LSU or Miami appear to have right now.

Last edited:
1.Their ability to throw the ball better than us
2. depth
3. Our injured
4. The pressure is on us because their HC
5. They’ve faced better competition than us so far

I hope I’m wrong but here’s my game and score predictions.

For some reason, we go back to making stupid mistakes that cost us a chance.

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28
I agree with you as much as I hate to say it. Ole Miss has too much speed on offense and Tennessee won't be able to come from behind such an early deficit. Ole Miss scored 52 points just last week on Arkansas.

I agree with you as much as I hate to say it. Ole Miss has too much speed on offense and Tennessee won't be able to come from behind such an early deficit. Ole Miss scored 52 points just last week on Arkansas.
So have you been asleep last 2 weeks? Our Offense can score just as fast

Ole Miss scored 37 of their points in the second half. They can be slowed down, as Arkansas did in the first half. I worry about our depth on defense in the second half.

On the flip side, Arkansas had two 21 point quarters. OM’s defense is not very good, but we’ll have to be productive every quarter to win this game. We cannot afford some of the empty quarters we’ve suffered in previous games.

This is going to be a really tough win to get for this team.

What makes you think that Ole Miss is faster than MU at the skill positions... or UT much less UF?

The two O's are very similar both in design and production. The two D's are not. UT has been better pretty much across the board defensively. Could be a surprise but both O's are run first. OM is a middling run D that's statistically low in the SEC after getting monkey stomped by Arkansas' run game. Against FBS teams, UT allows 128 ypg. Mississippi allows 214 and is 13th ahead of only MU in rush D.

Probably the best way to compare the D's in defending the run is to compare their worst games. OM allowed Arkansas 350 yds with over a 6 yd avg. Arkansas' QB was a major problem that essentially broke them down on D. He is a load and a good runner. Their RB's are good, not great. Neither would make the 3 deep at UF.... and probably not UT. Their OL is fairly similar in talent to UT's. Maybe a little bigger but not in a significant way.

UT allowed UF 283 yds with an 7 ypc avg. Not counting UT, UF rushes for 272 ypg on avg. Without Ole Miss, Arkansas rushes for 224. UF has a more talented OL than Arkansas and much better talent at RB. It would be hard to deny that Jones is the better runner at QB.

So... UT allowed less rushing yds to a more talented, better running team in UF than OM did to Arkansas. It is safe to say that UT has a better run D than OM does. That could be very critical to the outcome of this game. Both O's bog down when they cannot run.

Ole Miss scored 37 of their points in the second half. They can be slowed down, as Arkansas did in the first half. I worry about our depth on defense in the second half.
UT has more depth on the DL than Arkansas or OM for that matter. UT needs to get TFL's and rotate their front 4.

On the flip side, Arkansas had two 21 point quarters. OM’s defense is not very good, but we’ll have to be productive every quarter to win this game. We cannot afford some of the empty quarters we’ve suffered in previous games.
UT probably won't go into their 4 minute O slow down even if they manage to get a lead in this game. I will be shocked if they don't push tempo the whole game regardless of the score. They haven't been able to move the ball with the same consistency when they've slowed down. That's something Heupel suggested they were working on.

This is going to be a really tough win to get for this team.
Because both teams can score lots of points... I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome. OM could get on a roll, grab a lead, and have UT chasing all day. The same could happen in reverse. Both teams could try to "zag" and slow down to protect their D's though I don't expect that. UT's D could have a better day than many are expecting and limit their O while UT's O has a lot of success. Obviously it could turn into a track meet that depends on who has the ball last.

The only outcome that would surprise me is if OM's D has more success than USCe did in the first half stopping UT's O. I don't they're as talented or as good.

UT has become one of the better teams in the SEC in penalties after UF. UT for whatever reason is first in opponent penalties. Ole Miss is the worst in the SEC in penalties committed. A full and noisy Neyland could make this a major advantage. Oddly OM gets about 20 yds less per game through penalties less than UT while running similar tempo.

VN Store

Back