Here’s why I think ole miss wins

1.Their ability to throw the ball better than us
2. depth
3. Our injured
4. The pressure is on us because their HC
5. They’ve faced better competition than us so far

I hope I’m wrong but here’s my game and score predictions.

For some reason, we go back to making stupid mistakes that cost us a chance.

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28
I can only hope that you return after the game, having to eat a large helping of crow.

That's fair but it isn't necessarily a wide margin. Corral throws for just under 300 ypg. Hooker not counting BGSU as a "game" throws for about 225. If you count only half the Pitt game against him then he avgs around 236. They're almost identical in rushing O so far.

The other half of that is whose D has performed better. In spite of fairly significant injuries, UT allows 21.5 ppg while Ole Miss allows 31. UT is 7th in the SEC in run D at 112 ypg while Ole Miss is 12th at 194 ypg. Neither has been great in pass D with both averaging in the 230's. Total D, UT allows 344 while Ole Miss allows 432.

Ole Miss is worst in penalties committed. UT is about 7th in penalties committed but improved of late. Oddly UT is 1st in opponent penalties. UT averages getting about 70 ypg through penalties. Tempo forcing mistakes?

Ole Miss and UT are 1 and 2 in first downs. UT is 7th in first downs allowed... Ole Miss is dead last.

Ole Miss is currently 1st in TO margin at 5+. UT is tied for 4th at 3+. UT is first in TFL's at 52 while Ole Miss is 11th with 33. Both allow about 5 TFL's per game.

Both are mid-pack in sacks. UT has taken too many sacks averaging 3.3 per game. Ole Miss averages about half that.

UT is 3rd in INT's while Ole Miss is tied for last.

UT is first in passes defended at 33. Ole Miss is last at 15.

UT is 3rd in 3rd down conversions at 49%. Ole Miss is 11th at 38%.

UT is 6th in RZ conversions at 89%. Ole Miss is 10th with 73%. Ole Miss has allowed 87% RZ scores. UT has allowed 89%.

Depending on what you call a "long" play... UT is actually better. UT has produced 32 plays longer than 20 yds. Ole Miss has produced 31. But they are close at 30, 40, 50, and 60 yds. UT has 2 plays over 70 yds. Ole Miss has none. Both are explosive.

Both teams have allowed long plays about the same.

Really? Do you know Ole Miss' roster well enough to make that claim or are you just parroting what someone else has claimed without actually showing? I know Price and Hubbs have harped on this theme for a long time. But depth is only important in a relative sense.

So where specifically and for what reasons do you think Ole Miss is a deeper team than UT?

Have you checked their injuries before seeing that as a disadvantage to UT? One of their starting OL's is out with ankle surgery. One of their best WR's Mingo is likely out for the year. Those are the two most recently in the news. I'm not sure if they lost anyone vs Arkansas or not or who might be coming back though it is a safe bet that those two are not.

Huh? At worst that's a non-issue. At best, the pressure is on Kiffin returning to UT.... and playing against a coach that he's never beaten iirc.

Have they? Which of their OOC opponents is even close to as good as Pitt? Yes they played Bama but at no point was that really a competitive game. It was 35-0 before Bama started subbing and Ole Miss scored against back ups.

Arkansas is a good team... but how good?

Do you? If so... why would you say it publicly and why wouldn't you do a better job of researching the opponent before posting it?

And... why? It could happen but there's no reason right here and now to assume that it will. In fact, UT has gotten MUCH better since UF. Only two penalties in each of the last two games. Defensively, Ole Miss probably isn't going to pressure UT more than USCe did.

Again, it could happen but on what objective, reasonable basis do you assume that it will? What has Ole Miss done defensively that makes you think they can slow UT down and especially if Mays, Small, and Evans all play?

You could be right. But since you've made all of these negative assumptions and unsupported claims... you'll hear about it if you're not.
Some of you guys seriously need to work on reading comprehension skills. These are just predictions. And as far as hearing about it? I certainly hope so.

there is no pressure on this coaching staff or these players. They have no association with Kiffin. These players wouldn't know that Kiffin ever coached here if it were not for the older generation. As for our coaching staff, Our head coach has never lost to their head coach.
These players know Kiffin a lot more than you think.

I can only hope that you return after the game, having to eat a large helping of crow.
It’s not a situation of eating crow. If you read, it’s a prediction. But if it makes you feel better and we win I’ll eat crow. I’ll say, “ my prediction was completely wrong and I’m happy it was”. Some of you folks are weird.

1.Their ability to throw the ball better than us
2. depth
3. Our injured
4. The pressure is on us because their HC
5. They’ve faced better competition than us so far

I hope I’m wrong but here’s my game and score predictions.

For some reason, we go back to making stupid mistakes that cost us a chance.

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28

proxy-image

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Negavol or not, the post wasn't anti-Vol. The basis given for our possible, though I disagree with it, lost makes sense. I, too, am worried about our injuries, MIA players, OM ability to move down field. But the OP premises make sense nonetheless. I'm putting my faith in our defense dialing up a new level of ferocity and menacing their QB like he hasn't been before. Great care must taken to contain him as he is a dangerous runner.
It is a more even contest than that last two though USCe has considerably more talent on D. Ole Miss is obviously much better on O.

I have less problem with the guy's analysis as I do the general habit of some here to look at UT's injuries and depth in a vacuum.... comparing UT to the "ideal" or something close to it. No. UT doesn't have the talent or depth of the opponents who are higher on 247's composite roster talent ranking. Injuries hurt UT more than those teams.

But... Ole Miss has injuries too. Ole Miss is lower than UT on that composite and that's AFTER all of the portal moves and comparing UT's 81 scholarship players to whatever they have.

A few weeks ago what were people saying about MU? They were deeper, right? Drink was in his 2nd year of developing his team, right?

I like UT's chances vs Ole Miss and especially if they get guys back who've been held out.... almost as if Heupel knew who he needed to beat MU and USCe... hmm.

Reactions: 67Vol and Flipdaddy
After hat Arky game I believe they cant sustain another barn burner. They have the depth, we we will be fresher. Hopefully, we can get Cooper back to help us with the assignments upfront and prevent these sacks we're given up.
How are they deep? They have older guys on D... but just aren't very good. They essentially have 3 key WR's just like UT. They aren't deep on the OL and have 2 Fr listed in their two deep plus a Fr back up TE.

Because Hubbs and Price have made an issue constantly of UT's supposed lack of depth... people assume it and assume that opponents by default must have more. I honestly don't see it any more with Ole Miss than I did USCe or MU.

Reactions: irish1485
This is hard one honestly. The whole Lane thing means nothing except to the fans. Players aren't effected and could careless. Both offenses are putting up video game #'s but I believe our defense is better. Crowd should be insane and I think that gives up a slight advantage.
Yeah...its hard for me to get a solid read on this one for sure. There's one clear thing we MUST work out this week in practice....containing the QB in the pocket. It will be multiplied times 10 this week. We lost containment several times Saturday, usually on "tttttthhhhhhiiiiiiirrrrrdddddd dddddoooowwwwwnnnnn!" Which frankly I'm kinda ready to be done with....JMO of course.

It’s not a situation of eating crow. If you read, it’s a prediction. But if it makes you feel better and we win I’ll eat crow. I’ll say, “ my prediction was completely wrong and I’m happy it was”. Some of you folks are weird.
Not weird, I just assumed you would be happy to eat crow should it turn out the way we all want it to.

WHY ALL THE ANIMOSITY IN THIS THREAD TODAY?!!!!

If you have facts, analytics, questions, disagreement with opinion... just make your contribution to the conversation! Engage the argument, but why attack the person?

Contributions are appreciated, and in disagreement we can sharpen each other's thinking for the future. But is there any worthwhile reason to attack a fellow Vol, especially now when our program is on the rise again?

(...or is today Scots-Irish Clan Feud Day and the memo hasn't gotten down to us valley folk yet?)

Here's why I think Tennessee wins:

1. Our ability to shift from running to passing the ball depending on what the defense gives us.
2. heart.
3. their injured (Ole Miss suffers a few key injuries to players on the offensive side of the ball - The Rebel Walk)
4. The pressure is on them because of our HC (Josh Heupel is 2-0 against Lane Kiffin, all-time)
5. We've faced greater adversity and persevered through it than them.

I hope you're wrong, too. On that we agree. :)

We win a barn burner:

Tennessee 58
Ole Miss 54

After hat Arky game I believe they cant sustain another barn burner. They have the depth, we we will be fresher. Hopefully, we can get Cooper back to help us with the assignments upfront and prevent these sacks we're given up.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
Here is the reason I think UT wins, Cause of Idiotic Negative Fans like you!

Ut 45
Ole Miss 35
If all it took for Tennessee to win was for fans to be positive, Fulmer would still be coach and we would have never lost. The guy posted legitimate concerns and you, with all of your facts and knowledge, called him an idiot.

I think this game will be tight, but depth if definitely a concern especially with how fast everyone expects this game to go.

I’m afraid Corral will put up some big numbers on us and Kiffin can draw up some plays and scheme on offense with the best of them. That being said Heupel has proved he can equally match Lane in play calling and can attack a defense and put up alot points and quickly at that. I just wish we were healthier I do think our defense is better than theirs. This is a toss up game and I’m going with the Vols by 3 in a high scoring game.

The key to us winning is knowing that Kiffin relishes messing with our fan base. He's going to dream up some stuff just to play against us. He will look to stun us early. After that it would just be psychological warfare. If we can absorb the shock of whatever he has dreamed up, then we can play with Old Miss.
That being said, I won't be surprised if we lose by a couple of touchdowns. I love what Im seeing in this team. But I don't think these last 2 games are representative of where we actually are as a team. I think the 2nd half of the SC game is a microcosm of where we really are.

Reactions: House of Neyland
I actually think our defense is better than Ole Miss. Maybe just by a hair.

VN Store

Back