Here’s why I think ole miss wins

We have a narrow road to victory as long as we play mistake free and keep all of our starters healthy for the whole game. We have no chance if we shoot ourselves in the foot even a couple of times. Is it possible that we win? Absolutely. Is it likely or expected by anyone that has seen both programs play? No. Maybe it is just the last 15 years talking, but we have a lot more reasons to have doubt than we do to have confidence.

Reactions: Flipdaddy
I don't know if we will beat Ole Miss or not. But Ole Miss has a terrible defense. USCe has a considerably better defense than Ole Miss and we hung 45 on them (and we could have scored more). If we don't score more than 30 points against Ole Miss, then we played pretty poorly.

1.Their ability to throw the ball better than us
2. depth
3. Our injured
4. The pressure is on us because their HC
5. They’ve faced better competition than us so far

I hope I’m wrong but here’s my game and score predictions.

For some reason, we go back to making stupid mistakes that cost us a chance.

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28
boo-disapprove.gif

We are really banged up, and who's ready to play Saturday will be the difference. I think we'd beat them by at least 4 if our defense could be immersed in the healing waters of Bethsaida overnight. If we also had either Small or Evans back, and Cooper Mays back at center, I'd favor us by 10.

But no way we beat Ole Miss with just the players we had available in the 2nd half of the SC game. That's not negativity, just raw math.

I think Heupel's offensive scheme is just as effective against any defense. The only way to beat it is through superior personnel: defensive linemen who can physically beat our blocks, combined with defensive backs who can cover man-to-man effectively for at least 4 seconds, and linebackers with the speed to limit our QB's ground yardage.

I think in practice this week, Ole Miss' offense could do a better job than most of creating the pace of our offense against their defense.

Tough, tough game to play with so many young, second- and third-stringers. I'm also eager to see how this team now plays from behind, since the Pitt game. I think that opportunity will come next Saturday...

2. depth
3. Our injured

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28

Play a complete game and DO NOT COAST in the second half!!

Tenn could get up big early IMO, then fizzle out like against Florida, especially with their passing attack against a battered secondary.
And yes, after 3 straight SEC games and no turnovers they are due for some mistakes. They've also played pretty mistake free since Florida too.

2. depth
3. Our injured

We get down big early.

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28
No way in hell does Tenn only score 28 against a much much worse defense than SC....we scored that in 1 quarter

So I’m an idiot because I make a prediction that you don’t like even tho I’m hoping I’m wrong. You are the over sensitive homer idiot.

It’s amazing how worked up some people get because someone else holds a different opinion. Yet spend time at a place where differing opinions is what keeps the conversation moving.

So I’m an idiot because I make a prediction that you don’t like even tho I’m hoping I’m wrong. You are the over sensitive homer idiot.
You just an idiot along for thinking UT will only score 28 on a Defense that's no better than the Last 2 we have faced

Reactions: Rickyvol77
That's fair but it isn't necessarily a wide margin. Corral throws for just under 300 ypg. Hooker not counting BGSU as a "game" throws for about 225. If you count only half the Pitt game against him then he avgs around 236. They're almost identical in rushing O so far.

The other half of that is whose D has performed better. In spite of fairly significant injuries, UT allows 21.5 ppg while Ole Miss allows 31. UT is 7th in the SEC in run D at 112 ypg while Ole Miss is 12th at 194 ypg. Neither has been great in pass D with both averaging in the 230's. Total D, UT allows 344 while Ole Miss allows 432.

Ole Miss is worst in penalties committed. UT is about 7th in penalties committed but improved of late. Oddly UT is 1st in opponent penalties. UT averages getting about 70 ypg through penalties. Tempo forcing mistakes?

Ole Miss and UT are 1 and 2 in first downs. UT is 7th in first downs allowed... Ole Miss is dead last.

Ole Miss is currently 1st in TO margin at 5+. UT is tied for 4th at 3+. UT is first in TFL's at 52 while Ole Miss is 11th with 33. Both allow about 5 TFL's per game.

Both are mid-pack in sacks. UT has taken too many sacks averaging 3.3 per game. Ole Miss averages about half that.

UT is 3rd in INT's while Ole Miss is tied for last.

UT is first in passes defended at 33. Ole Miss is last at 15.

UT is 3rd in 3rd down conversions at 49%. Ole Miss is 11th at 38%.

UT is 6th in RZ conversions at 89%. Ole Miss is 10th with 73%. Ole Miss has allowed 87% RZ scores. UT has allowed 89%.

Depending on what you call a "long" play... UT is actually better. UT has produced 32 plays longer than 20 yds. Ole Miss has produced 31. But they are close at 30, 40, 50, and 60 yds. UT has 2 plays over 70 yds. Ole Miss has none. Both are explosive.

Both teams have allowed long plays about the same.

Really? Do you know Ole Miss' roster well enough to make that claim or are you just parroting what someone else has claimed without actually showing? I know Price and Hubbs have harped on this theme for a long time. But depth is only important in a relative sense.

So where specifically and for what reasons do you think Ole Miss is a deeper team than UT?

3. Our injured
Have you checked their injuries before seeing that as a disadvantage to UT? One of their starting OL's is out with ankle surgery. One of their best WR's Mingo is likely out for the year. Those are the two most recently in the news. I'm not sure if they lost anyone vs Arkansas or not or who might be coming back though it is a safe bet that those two are not.

Huh? At worst that's a non-issue. At best, the pressure is on Kiffin returning to UT.... and playing against a coach that he's never beaten iirc.

Have they? Which of their OOC opponents is even close to as good as Pitt? Yes they played Bama but at no point was that really a competitive game. It was 35-0 before Bama started subbing and Ole Miss scored against back ups.

Arkansas is a good team... but how good?

Do you? If so... why would you say it publicly and why wouldn't you do a better job of researching the opponent before posting it?

And... why? It could happen but there's no reason right here and now to assume that it will. In fact, UT has gotten MUCH better since UF. Only two penalties in each of the last two games. Defensively, Ole Miss probably isn't going to pressure UT more than USCe did.

We get down big early.
Again, it could happen but on what objective, reasonable basis do you assume that it will? What has Ole Miss done defensively that makes you think they can slow UT down and especially if Mays, Small, and Evans all play?

Ole miss 41
Tennessee 28
You could be right. But since you've made all of these negative assumptions and unsupported claims... you'll hear about it if you're not.

Here is the reason I think UT wins, Cause of Idiotic Negative Fans like you!
Ut 45 Ole Miss 35

Negavol or not, the post wasn't anti-Vol. The basis given for our possible, though I disagree with it, lost makes sense. I, too, am worried about our injuries, MIA players, OM ability to move down field. But the OP premises make sense nonetheless. I'm putting my faith in our defense dialing up a new level of ferocity and menacing their QB like he hasn't been before. Great care must taken to contain him as he is a dangerous runner.

regardless of how this goes (and I do think we win this game...) the reality is they are at their plateau and we are on an upward trajectory.

Kiffin looked completely hopeless when his defense was on the field at the end of the game Sat. I havent seen that look at any point from Huepel this season. Tennessee has good DL depth, (first place lack of depth is noticed) and good depth in secondary.
Playing at home is another advantage. A&M loses if they're in Looser....Ole Miss has had 2 really emotional games back to back...

there is no pressure on this coaching staff or these players. They have no association with Kiffin. These players wouldn't know that Kiffin ever coached here if it were not for the older generation. As for our coaching staff, Our head coach has never lost to their head coach.

Here's why I think Tennessee wins:

1. Our ability to shift from running to passing the ball depending on what the defense gives us.
2. heart.
3. their injured (Ole Miss suffers a few key injuries to players on the offensive side of the ball - The Rebel Walk)
4. The pressure is on them because of our HC (Josh Heupel is 2-0 against Lane Kiffin, all-time)
5. We've faced greater adversity and persevered through it than them.

I hope you're wrong, too. On that we agree. :)

We win a barn burner:

Tennessee 58
Ole Miss 54

After hat Arky game I believe they cant sustain another barn burner. They have the depth, we we will be fresher. Hopefully, we can get Cooper back to help us with the assignments upfront and prevent these sacks we're given up.

VN Store

Back