Heard Fulmer

I thought it was Fulmer who was out of town?

In any case, I think everyone was blindsided by this, UCLA and Barnes included. Barnes probably never imagined UCLA would call upon a 60-something year old coach who had never coached on the west coast, and UCLA probably never imagined they'd have to call on their 4th or 5th choice. They almost had two other coaches hired before it fell thru.
The barnes buyout is what kept rick from leaving. Remember that. He was gone.

Reactions: Roustabout
The barnes buyout is what kept rick from leaving. Remember that. He was gone.
You have to understand, we have selective rumor recollection ‘round here.
Where did I state anything to the contrary? What point are you trying to justify? That fact has nothing to do with my post, and isn't something I dispute.

But hey, keep searching for an argument that doesn't exist.

Sorry I hurt ur feelings with facts.

Feel free to show me a post season record to dispute me though.

And a few sweet 16s appearances with elite talent like Durant does not make one an elite coach.

Lol. Not sure you know the facts. But carry on.

What evidence do you have of this?
Ummm, I didnt record the conversation. But if you really want to know, it was from someone on the payroll of the basketball program. I'll leave it at that. You can choose to believe the info or not, but if you have some insiders or people you trust, relay that story and ask about its accuracy.

The only reason Barnes entertained UCLA was because of Fulmer. Barnes felt like Fulmer didn't show the interest in supporting the basketball program both financially and in actual time spent traveling with the program.

If Fulmer had been a better AD and cared more about the basketball program then Barnes would have never even looked around. Blame Barnes all you want for looking at a blue blood and getting a raise, but the reason it got that far is Fulmer. So if you're mad about the entire situation make sure your anger is guided in the proper direction.

This. 100%. Barnes loves UT and believed they were forcing them to be 2nd Fiddle at UT. Yes, when football is good it is king and it probably should be. Don't think UT Basketball can ever match the revenue football can generate. But until it was taken seriously (investing in staff, facilities, marketing, etc REGULARLY) it wasn't going to change. UT has so much potential moving forward in basketball and Barnes knows that. He forced Fulmers hand on it and I don't think he cares if it made them best buds.

Entertaining a job offer without letting your employer know is a **** move whether you work at chick fila or are a head coach.
Why is that exactly? I agree that it should be in a perfect world, but in today’s time there is no loyalty either way. An employer will cut ties every time if it saves their bottom line. Coaches are mercenaries that come and go, and schools don’t have loyalty or patience either. Nature of the beast.

Let's the the season play out before we start predicting bitterness.

No kidding. I kept checking the date on the thread. Can't believe anyone would start a thread like this after the last two seasons, several kids in the NBA and what might be an all-time great recruiting class on the horizon. Guess we need to start a coaching search after our first loss next season? Incredible.

Not trying to hate on the thread but the past is the past. We got Barnes most likely for the long haul. Time to focus on this season

Hate is well deserved for this one. Ridiculous.

No kidding. I kept checking the date on the thread. Can't believe anyone would start a thread like this after the last two seasons, several kids in the NBA and what might be an all-time great recruiting class on the horizon. Guess we need to start a coaching search after our first loss next season? Incredible.

Some people are just not happy, unless they have something miserable to say. Now, it has gotten to the point they conspire ahead of time. This faction of our fan base needs to be taken to a cow pasture, their feet tied to the back of a tractor, and keel hauled through the manure piles. Then they will finally be sick of 5h1t.

In my younger years I called in sick and interviewed for another job. Turned out the guy interviewing me knew my boss and called him while I was sitting there. Humbling experience.
What kind of dbag would do that? I’d say you were better off not working for that dude.

And lol at whoever said you should tell your employer you’re interviewing for other positions. You better be extremely trusting or be virtually irreplaceable to do that. But why would you?

Reactions: cncchris33
This. 100%. Barnes loves UT and believed they were forcing them to be 2nd Fiddle at UT. Yes, when football is good it is king and it probably should be. Don't think UT Basketball can ever match the revenue football can generate. But until it was taken seriously (investing in staff, facilities, marketing, etc REGULARLY) it wasn't going to change. UT has so much potential moving forward in basketball and Barnes knows that. He forced Fulmers hand on it and I don't think he cares if it made them best buds.
Totally wrong on both counts! This was just the business side of athletics that occurs at every school

Totally wrong on both counts! This was just the business side of athletics that occurs at every school
We need something a little more dramatic for the movie they're making after Rick wins his Natty and retires.

This is a good way to get fired in the real world. You let your employer know when you’re putting in your 2-weeks notice.
I never have understood giving a two week notice. They don't give you a two week notice when they fire you.

We kept a proven coach that is winning at historical rates. Booooooooo...... Come on guys, it's great to have Barnes putting UT men's in the upper echelon.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE

VN Store

Back