Have some time on my hands

VolsByNature

DeletedPost Record Holder
So I'm going to break some players down along with their star rankings and you tell me if it matters or not.

5*
Jonathon Mapu
Gerald Riggs Jr.
Brandon Jeffries
Mondre Dickerson
James Banks

One player out of that list went on to be a good Tennessee ball player. Mr. Banks.

4* Great players
Gibril Wilson
Jonathon Wade
Justin Harrell
Omar Gaither
Jason Allen
Parys Haralson
Chris Hannon
Cody Douglas

4* WTFs
Ruben Mayes
Leron Harris
Rob Smith
Greg Jones
Aaron Kirkland

3*s
Antwan Stewart
Marvin Mitchell

Both pretty good ball players

So, What we have learned from the 2002 Class, not only do I have too much time on my hands but Stars ARE overrated.

One out of 5 5*s were actually decent.
Damn near half of 4*s were good and busts
and both 3*s were awesome

2003 Class I'll make a little quicker

5*
Robert Meachem...Great WR

4* Good
Jayson Swain
Bret Smith
Aaron Sears
Eric Young
"Turk" McBride

4* WTFs
Daniel Brooks
Steven Jones

3*
3 out of 11 were actually decent
John Poe
Brad Cottam
Britton Colquitt

The 2003 class was overall terrible. But favors the higher ranked players.

And the 2004 class, with the exception of Arian Foster, strongly proves that stars do matter. Before I did my research I was convinced that stars don't make the player.

In conclusion, yes, stars do matter. But also, every once in a while you will get the great players who were not ranked with 5 pretty stars

Arian Foster
Al Wilson
Inky Johnson

So I will be wishing for more 4* and 5* players from now on, but also grateful for the ones we get. Not to mention they still have their whole Senior season to prove how good they really are

Gerald Riggs and Mapu were "decent"
Rob Smith was a two year starter I believe
Claude "Turk" McBride got drafted

What did John Poe ever do?

Riggs had a better career than Banks. The first damn paragraph ends the credibility.

Glad you corrected me on Turk, his real name was Claude?

Gerald Riggs and Mapu were extremely overrated. Mapu looked lost, and Riggs was terrible for a "5*"

Not talking about career, actual talent.

Banks was 2x as talented as Riggs

and maybe if you read the whole thing.....

Not talking about career, actual talent.

Banks was 2x as talented as Riggs

and maybe if you read the whole thing.....

Um, you were talking about career. And no, Banks wasn't 2x as talented as Riggs. That's garbage and you have no idea what you're watching on Saturdays.

No, the stars determine the talent. I was pointing out who was talented and who was not.

Also, why point out one little thing that is YOUR opinion and making my post look redundant? Because you think Riggs was better than Banks fine, but that's not the case. If you can honestly say Riggs was more talented than Banks, then you need to stop drinking so much on game day. We all know Banks hurt everyones feelings being a douche, but he was still a hell of a ball player.

You do realize Gerald Riggs had more yards RUSHING in 2004 than James Banks has TOTAL YARDS in his career.

You judged whether the stars led to good careers at UT, and you said Banks had a better career than Riggs. That's flat out ludicrous, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

You do realize Gerald Riggs had more yards RUSHING in 2004 than James Banks has TOTAL YARDS in his career.

You judged whether the stars led to good careers at UT, and you said Banks had a better career than Riggs. That's flat out ludicrous, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Wow. Just slowly step away from the computer Nature.

My point is Gerald Riggs was not what you would expect a 5* player to be.

James Banks, 600+ yards as a freshman, QB transformed into WR, is pretty respectable

Maybe I was wrong about a couple players, place the guys to where you think they deserve. My point of the post is stars do matter but don't underestimate the lower rated guys. That's it

Maybe I was wrong about a couple players, place the guys to where you think they deserve. My point of the post is stars do matter but don't underestimate the lower rated guys. That's it

I agree. If the guys rating recruits really knew that much, somebody somewhere would put them on a coaching staff.

Riggs and Banks were both disappointments: Banks was a FU and essentially a player without a position, and Riggs turned out to be an average running back. It's an absolutely given that half of every recruiting group, every year, will disappoint. If a team signs 4 5 stars, two will bust; same with four stars. Lots of issues that result in high attrition: some are dopes and don't/can't study; some are potheads/bad apples; quite a few just aren't as talented as the recruiters thought, which doesn't become apparent until they start playing against SEC talent.

He didn't have 600+ yards as a freshman.

Sorry, according to ESPN, he played one season and had 42 receptions for 621 yards. Wish I could personally remember but it's been a few years.

If ESPN has it wrong than let me know so I know not to stat hunt there anymore

So he's been owned on this subject.

The point of this thread was to show how much stars matter. I wasn't arguing with anyone about who was worse than who. It's crazy how someones opinion can flip the complete purpose of the topic. Maybe I didn't know how long who played and how much they made, yadda yadda, I just thought Riggs was a complete bust and Banks was a talent. If you think otherwise, fine, but that's your opinion.

Owned? :birgits_giggle:

Sorry, according to ESPN, he played one season and had 42 receptions for 621 yards. Wish I could personally remember but it's been a few years.

If ESPN has it wrong than let me know so I know not to stat hunt there anymore

Banks would have been at Tennessee in '02 and '03.

VN Store

Back