Harper’s future

She's young enough to go back to the mid-major level, win 100 games in four years, and get another crack at the big-time. If she wants it. She's made some money and might just retire from coaching.

And I'm not even sure she wouldn't succeed at another P5 program. She tried to replace Shug Yow and then she tried to replace Bear Summitt, at two places where a lot of the fanbase thinks they're not really gone. Go somewhere where you're not being compared to a ghost, and she might do perfectly fine.

She's young enough to go back to the mid-major level, win 100 games in four years, and get another crack at the big-time. If she wants it. She's made some money and might just retire from coaching.

And I'm not even sure she wouldn't succeed at another P5 program. She tried to replace Shug Yow and then she tried to replace Bear Summitt, at two places where a lot of the fanbase thinks they're not really gone. Go somewhere where you're not being compared to a ghost, and she might do perfectly fine.

Gotta love her for her confidence if nothing else. Who would have the guts to take over for not one but two legends of the game? I do wish it had turned out different for Kellie, but this is the right decision.

They say when you get knocked down you should get right back up..She may take a little while off but she would be better off focusing on something new instead of thinking to much about the past.

If MTSU's coach gets promoted, she could take that job and several players from the current UT roster and do very well. She would also fit somewhere like Belmont.

Tess might finish degree as a regular student.
May not want to play somewhere else
Tennessee lottery scholarship for Tennesse students wouldn't cost her family much to finished master's degree at Tennesse University wherever she wanted to finish school.

Reactions: brittannica
All I know is if I’m her next school I’m calling BS on the John situation. Either she wants to be a head coach or not. The traveling duo is silly.
I totally agree, she could have another quality coach and who knows with the right one she may have worked our at UT

Reactions: spencer1989
My funny bone wants me to believe she'll head back to Missouri State, ala Cuonzo Martin.
They seem to like retreads.

Gotta love her for her confidence if nothing else. Who would have the guts to take over for not one but two legends of the game? I do wish it had turned out different for Kellie, but this is the right decision.

Harper didn't "take over for a legend." PS had been gone for several years before Harper got the job. The tradition is an asset to be exploited, but Harper wasn't able to do it, unfortunately.

She could easily return to a mid major or a lower tier P5 school IF she wants to.

She can also take the money and relax for a year if she wants.

Harper didn't "take over for a legend." PS had been gone for several years before Harper got the job. The tradition is an asset to be exploited, but Harper wasn't able to do it, unfortunately.

I can appreciate this angle.

Though I do feel essentially anyone at this job will coach with the shadow of Pat to some degree. Lesser so for someone who did not play for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: spencer1989
You could say that about most former HCs BUT Reading this board Pat is mentioned daily during BB season. If you think not you’re not reading the threads. The ghost of Pat will be in the horizon for each new BB coach @ UT. It is what it is. That’s how Volnation rolls.

I expect her to take a couple seasons off. I think this season took a lot out of her emotionally. You could see it. To me it felt like she was coaching for her job every game after that Ohio State loss. White was in the building for that one and it was such a bad look.

She got progressively more stressed after that. She needs a little R&R before she jumps into another big job imo.

BUT that’s my opinion, not hers.
I think the loss to USCe was the last straw for Kellie.

Reactions: glv98
I think the loss to USCe was the last straw for Kellie.

Why would lose to an undefeated No. 1 be the last straw? It was losing to almost every decent/good team we faced
for five years plus poor HS recruiting that sealed her fate, IMO. She simply didn't take the program forward much at all.

I wish her the best and sincerely hope she finds another good job, but I don't see her getting hired by a major program. This
is the 2nd time she's been sacked--and people will ask why she couldn't succeed at her alma mater and a program with
8 national titles. I suspect she'll go back to the mid-major level, but we'll see.

Reactions: Tnphil
Why would lose to an undefeated No. 1 be the last straw? It was losing to almost every decent/good team we faced
for five years plus poor HS recruiting that sealed her fate, IMO. She simply didn't take the program forward much at all.

I wish her the best and sincerely hope she finds another good job, but I don't see her getting hired by a major program. This
is the 2nd time she's been sacked--and people will ask why she couldn't succeed at her alma mater and a program with
8 national titles. I suspect she'll go back to the mid-major level, but we'll see.

I think it was also the outlook for next year. It wasn't looking like a reload was on the horizon so it makes sense to make the change now before a .500 season and missing the tourney next year. A new coach plus some roster turnover is exactly what we need, just have to get the right coach.

You got what you've been wanting for years but just can't help but pour salt in, can you?

Classy as always
As I said earlier, I would have loved for her to prove me wrong. I’d have no problem watching the program succeed and saying I was wrong. You didn’t seem to chime in about class while other posters name called. If we are calling a spade a spade.

VN Store

Back