Harper’s future

I think Harper would do well in the Big east as Marquette is about to have an opening or possibly the WCC hell even the Big 12 just not SEC/Big10 if she wants to be successful.

Enjoy the payout, take a year or two off and take a job at a good mid-major program. That’s truly her speed imo. She’s shown she can really be successful at that level but both of her forays in the P5 coaching world have been fruitless. Don’t see another program taking that bait.

Harper could be a television analyst for a season.

Harper could be a television analyst for a season.

Yeah, could see her possibly doing that. Not sure that is her speed though. I could see her being an official before she does that 😂😂

And probably a really, really good one. After the crap she lived through this season the zebra Gods owe her one at her next stop.

Last edited:
I realize that this board will be highly focused on who is hired to replace Harper. Whoever it is, I hope it works out better for all involved.

Nevertheless I am curious to know folks opinions on where Kellie might end up at. Mid-major, another P4 school?
Love KH and all she has meant to UT but sometimes the job is a little more than you are able to provide. She is a good coach, the Lady Vols need a Great coach. Wishing her well.

Ummm most P5s would love a single sweet sixteen. TN fans are so dumb about the world beyond Knoxville
For most sports but the Lady Vols were mainstays in the elite 8 and final 4. It's time we get back to that level. 20,000+ in the stands is also missing. KH lost many fans by not beat top notch teams. 1 win vs a ranked team this year. I love her but it was time to move on and Danny White sure the hell knows what he is doing.

For most sports but the Lady Vols were mainstays in the elite 8 and final 4. It's time we get back to that level. 20,000+ in the stands is also missing. KH lost many fans by not beat top notch teams. 1 win vs a ranked team this year. I love her but it was time to move on and Danny White sure the hell knows what he is doing.

A change may have been necessary, but you're imagining many 20,000+ games. I was there at one of them vs. Texas in the late 80's, and Wendy's was giving away free tickets with purchase of a drink to try to help UT set an attendance record.

Harper didn't "take over for a legend." PS had been gone for several years before Harper got the job. The tradition is an asset to be exploited, but Harper wasn't able to do it, unfortunately.
Any legacy Coach was still in the shadows of the statue across the street.

Reactions: SoilVol
Harper didn't "take over for a legend." PS had been gone for several years before Harper got the job. The tradition is an asset to be exploited, but Harper wasn't able to do it, unfortunately.

Well. evidently, NC State felt strongly enough about her to name their court after her. Whether that makes her a legend is debatable, I guess.

I've seen Rick Insell mentioned a few times. Pat had a connection with Rick as she recruited some from his high school Shelbyville girls team back in the day. Wouldn't be a bad hire, short term.

She has 4 years at 500K just to be a stay-home mom if she wants. Her transition to broadcasting would be very easy.

She seems to love coaching though and, despite her many detractors on this board, she has had enough success to be attractive to a lot of schools, certainly at the mid-major level or for a long languishing power 5 school.

Fair assessment, but the same could have been said (and even more so with Holly since she had multiple elite 8s) and I don't think she was approached by any other programs to coach again. I always wanted to see what Holly could have done at another program.

Reactions: madtownvol
I expect her to take a couple seasons off. I think this season took a lot out of her emotionally. You could see it. To me it felt like she was coaching for her job every game after that Ohio State loss. White was in the building for that one and it was such a bad look.

She got progressively more stressed after that. She needs a little R&R before she jumps into another big job imo.

BUT that’s my opinion, not hers.

That's why I refused to dogpile on her after the SC loss. It was hard watching that emotion on her face as she collapsed in tears on the court. It's hard to watch that and not feel empathy for her. I hope she rests and that the emotion of getting fired doesn't take a toll on her.

A change may have been necessary, but you're imagining many 20,000+ games. I was there at one of them vs. Texas in the late 80's, and Wendy's was giving away free tickets with purchase of a drink to try to help UT set an attendance record.
Seen Parker vs unconn a sellout
And Kellie and Holdchaw in the NCAA tournament games

And some other games
Tennessee not going back to getting any player they want
Bought some second row seats in the NCAA tournament on the center line opposite side of the coaches bench.
You could buy few days before games
Tickets where not high when Jolly played.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Fair assessment, but the same could have been said (and even more so with Holly since she had multiple elite 8s) and I don't think she was approached by any other programs to coach again. I always wanted to see what Holly could have done at another program.
Holly was "fired with cause" which is kind of like a dishonorable discharge. She was radioactive.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and PRG
If MTSU's coach gets promoted, she could take that job and several players from the current UT roster and do very well. She would also fit somewhere like Belmont.
It isn't likely that Insell will leave MTSU. If anything, he will retire in the next couple of years and his son will be a great candidate for to replace him.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and PRG
It might be time for Mr Harper to go get a job.
You may not be aware, but there are quite a few young coaching couples in WBB, including two others in the SEC. Do you object to those or just Jon Harper? Several prospective coaches mentioned here are wife/husband duos? Should we cross all them off the list?

Also, is it just husbands who work for their wives that bothers you? Did you know UT's men's team has a father/son player/coach duo? Also several fathers who have their son as assistant coach, such as Bruce Pearl at Auburn. vic Shaeffer, big on the wish list here, has long had his daughter Blair as assistant. That ok?

As a "preacher" it may warm you up to the idea a bit to know the purpose of these couple coaching together is to keep young families with small children together. Does that sound lke a problem?

I'm genuinely curious about this, though I think I know the roots of the objection.

Last edited:
Enjoy the payout, take a year or two off and take a job at a good mid-major program. That’s truly her speed imo. She’s shown she can really be successful at that level but both of her forays in the P5 coaching world have been fruitless. Don’t see another program taking that bait.
Don’t know if they have a need, but Tennessee Tech in Cookeville is just down the road from her hometown. Great place to raise her kids.

Best thing I believe she should do is not have her hubby as the assistant coach at her next job and to do better recruiting. That to me was one of her downfalls in Knoxville. The next coach has a big challenge to deal with but the right hire can fix this.

Ummm most P5s would love a single sweet sixteen. TN fans are so dumb about the world beyond Knoxville
It goes way beyond that. To me UT was lucky to make the NCAA tournament this year. And, they did not have that great of a year. Recruiting wise we are in trouble and this once elite program is average a best right now and the direction to right the ship has been made by an AD that is determined to see past Knoxville. I will let him work on this instead of my "dumb" post.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants

VN Store

Back