Happy when Dawn Staley is not

She won a National Championship (singular) in 2017 with a lot of talent and a favorable draw in the NCAA Tournament. South Carolina caught a huge break when Mississippi State upset UConn in the national semifinals. South Carolina had lost by 11 points earlier in the season to UConn, and they would have lost again had they played them in the Championship Game. Hell, South Carolina couldn't even beat Tennessee that season (at home).

I promise it's nothing personal. LOL. I don't think she is a good in-game coach. Of course, you are free to disagree.

We did not want to play MSU again and would have beaten UConn in the finals as Aja had room to operate once Coates was injured. A blessing in disguise.

Where in that statement did I say only support Premier and that they’re the only scouting service that should be trusted??? They’re all a SCAM! Recruiting rankings are always political which is why I’m never surprised to see a 79th or 85th player excel at the next level. I still see you peddled around my question lol... honestly the rankings are meaningless I rather see who does what on the court. So far it looks as if SC’s class is the superior at least what everyone saw last week. Of course Fudd didn’t play but neither did Johnson. She was too busy nearly putting up a quadruple double and leading her to a Geico National Championship.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion is your opinion and I would feel the same way in your shoes. All my family is Gamecock for life so I wish you well. I just enjoy messing with you guys.

Reactions: SCspur
Dawn just built a three story mansion on the west banks of the Congaree which is a couple of blocks from USC. She has always had family roots in South Carolina.
SCAR went after a big time men's coach with a big home in SC. thought they could get him away but never could.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion is your opinion and I would feel the same way in your shoes. All my family is Gamecock for life so I wish you well. I just enjoy messing with you guys.

Same here! Nothing personal at all glad we can talk basketball. I love getting into debates because it makes for good conversations especially once we finally see the product on the court. No hard feelings here man!

Reactions: NeedOrange
I suppose because she is a good coach and a great recruiter. Unfortunately we don’t have that at Tennessee yet. Maybe someday, we will seel
She is all of those things...which is why I have so much respect for her. She built that program from the ground up and she’s reaping the benefits of her hard work!

She is all of those things...which is why I have so much respect for her. She built that program from the ground up and she’s reaping the benefits of her hard work!
We had the best and had to watch health tear her down. No one will ever come close to Pat in my eyes. No offense to Dawn, or even slimeball Geno, but Pat will always be the greatest to me. It tears me up that her life was shortened by such an awful disease.

She won a National Championship (singular) in 2017 with a lot of talent and a favorable draw in the NCAA Tournament. South Carolina caught a huge break when Mississippi State upset UConn in the national semifinals. South Carolina had lost by 11 points earlier in the season to UConn, and they would have lost again had they played them in the Championship Game. Hell, South Carolina couldn't even beat Tennessee that season (at home).

I promise it's nothing personal. LOL. I don't think she is a good in-game coach. Of course, you are free to disagree.

So are you saying the same about Stanford this year? They caught a huge break not to have to go through UConn? It wasn’t SC fault UConn didn’t make the finals in 2017. SC did lose to UConn earlier in the year by 11. Stanford beat Arizona twice this year by a double digits. What’s your point? Tennessee and SC split this year. That argument is weak. You can convince yourself that Dawn isn’t a good in game coach while she continues to win game after game. Just like any coach she’s better at some things than others and her players have to execute, but I don’t understand that comment.

So are you saying the same about Stanford this year? They caught a huge break not to have to go through UConn? It wasn’t SC fault UConn didn’t make the finals in 2017. SC did lose to UConn earlier in the year by 11. Stanford beat Arizona twice this year by a double digits. What’s your point? Tennessee and SC split this year. That argument is weak. You can convince yourself that Dawn isn’t a good in game coach while she continues to win game after game. Just like any coach she’s better at some things than others and her players have to execute, but I don’t understand that comment.
No, UConn wasn't as good this past season as they were in the 2016-17 season. I didn't say that it was anyone's "fault". That is an odd choice of words. I said that South Carolina caught a break in getting to play Mississippi State (a team they had beaten twice that season - including a 10 point win near the end of the season, in the SEC Tournament Championship Game) rather than having to play UConn (a team they had lost to that season by 11 points).

I can believe that Dawn Staley is not a good in-game coach based on my own (admittedly, unprofessional) assessment of what I've observed over the last 10-plus seasons. She wins game after game... but she does not win championship after championship. She has won the NCAA Tournament a grand total of one time. So has Texas A&M. For all the talent Staley has had, they have not been dominant by any stretch. They have made the Final Four 3 times You are free to disagree, but my opinion of Staley won't change, just because someone on VolNation has more respect for her than I do.

Pat is the GOAT. I never did and would never compare Dawn to her. Pat is a hero of mine. It pains me that she lost her life so early. However, that doesn’t negate the fact that Dawn sees an obscene amount of hate on this board and it doesn’t change the fact that she has built a powerhouse. She’s not Pat Summitt, but she still, especially as a Black woman, is a pioneer.
We had the best and had to watch health tear her down. No one will ever come close to Pat in my eyes. No offense to Dawn, or even slimeball Geno, but Pat will always be the greatest to me. It tears me up that her life was shortened by such an awful disease.[/QUOTE

Pat is the GOAT. I never did and would never compare Dawn to her. Pat is a hero of mine. It pains me that she lost her life so early. However, that doesn’t negate the fact that Dawn sees an obscene amount of hate on this board and it doesn’t change the fact that she has built a powerhouse. She’s not Pat Summitt, but she still, especially as a Black woman, is a pioneer.
No, she doesn't. Her coaching receives the scrutiny that one would expect to see on a rival's board. You aren't going to find unconditional hype for a South Carolina coach on a Tennessee fan forum. It may have happened, but I haven't seen any personal attacks against Dawn Staley on here.

For what it's worth, I thought Pat Summitt had faults of her own when it came to in-game adjustments. The 2000 National Championship Game vs UConn being the most glaring example of that. How many layups did we allow with simple back door cuts that night? How many shots did Kelly Schumaker block because Semeka Randall was putting her head down and dribble penetrating into the teeth of a zone... possession after possession? Pat's clock management at the end of the Michigan State loss in the 2005 Final Four was terrible. The Lady Vols blew a game they should have had. Nobody should be above criticism. That isn't hate. Because I'm capable of being critical of some of Pat Summitt's coaching... does that mean I didn't respect what she accomplished and all that she did for the University of Tennessee and women's basketball in general? Hell no.

You seem a little sensitive. It's nothing personal.

No, she doesn't. Her coaching receives the scrutiny that one would expect to see on a rival's board. You aren't going to find unconditional hype for a South Carolina coach on a Tennessee fan forum. It may have happened, but I haven't seen any personal attacks against Dawn Staley on here.

For what it's worth, I thought Pat Summitt had faults of her own when it came to in-game adjustments. The 2000 National Championship Game vs UConn being the most glaring example of that. How many layups did we allow with simple back door cuts that night? How many shots did Kelly Schumaker block because Semeka Randall was putting her head down and dribble penetrating into the teeth of a zone... possession after possession? Pat's clock management at the end of the Michigan State loss in the 2005 Final Four was terrible. The Lady Vols blew a game they should have had. Nobody should be above criticism. That isn't hate. Because I'm capable of being critical of some of Pat Summitt's coaching... does that mean I didn't respect what she accomplished and all that she did for the University of Tennessee and women's basketball in general? Hell no.

You seem a little sensitive. It's nothing personal.

I also think the analysis you provided has been much more objective and honestly kind then some of the stuff people have posted on here...

I liked what you had to say to be honest and agree with the assessments of the coaches you spoke.

Dawn just built a three story mansion on the west banks of the Congaree which is a couple of blocks from USC. She has always had family roots in South Carolina.
Oh the banners she can hang! Statues on the grounds!
I just don’t understand the Dawn hate...what did she ever do that was so bad?
Surely you know its only "sports hate". Of course its not personal. Its petty, jealous, irrational sports angst that feels so good, which is a big part of why we love sports and to talk about sports. It's not real. I don't pretend to have the first clue about the real Dawn Staley.
Real DS has definitely done all this, and deserves respects and benefits. But what does that have to do with this conversation?

or what it's worth, I thought Pat Summitt had faults of her own when it came to in-game adjustments. The 2000 National Championship Game vs UConn being the most glaring example of that. How many layups did we allow with simple back door cuts that night? How many shots did Kelly Schumaker block because Semeka Randall was putting her head down and dribble penetrating into the teeth of a zone... possession after possession?
Oh thanks for the painful memory. 2000 Natty gameUConn backdoored us to death, led by Shea (Vandy) Ralph. It was the first time I ever saw PS flat out get her hiney handed to her. She never adjusted, because overplaying D had been so good to her for so long. That game started out badly when Ace Clement, who had finally found her shooting touch and was playing lights out, rolled her ankle in the pregame shootaround and couldn't play. I believe both of the remaining Meeks had subpar games. One to forget.

Point well taken, PS herself admitted her offensive approach needed retooling. She was more competitive than she was proud. She sought help. Honestly, I don't think she ever quite got there as a modern offense strategist before the too sudden ending. She had her challenges. She was human.

That game started out badly when Ace Clement, who had finally found her shooting touch and was playing lights out, rolled her ankle in the pregame shootaround and couldn't play.
Yes, I remember that. That Final Four was played in her home town (Philly) too. One thing about that I've always thought was weird... in between rolling her ankle during the shootaround so bad that she had to miss the National Championship Game and the public address announcement of the starting lineups, Kristen Clement found time to apply her make-up and put jewelry on. Pat didn't go for a lot of frou frou from her players. I've always wondered how that sat with her. Clement was a pretty girl... but jeez... that is caring too much about how you look at an odd time.

Yes, I remember that. That Final Four was played in her home town (Philly) too. One thing about that I've always thought was weird... in between rolling her ankle during the shootaround so bad that she had to miss the National Championship Game and the public address announcement of the starting lineups, Kristen Clement found time to apply her make-up and put jewelry on. Pat didn't go for a lot of frou frou from her players. I've always wondered how that sat with her. Clement was a pretty girl... but jeez... that is caring too much about how you look at an odd time.
Pat knew what was important and what wasn't, and she had known KC for years, knew the look was part of who she was. Several players rocked the look back then, Ashley Robinson was the absolute forerunner of the eyelashes that are so popular today. Long as it didn't interfere with their game, Pat didn't care. She was an absolute hater of tats though.

Dawn isn’t leaving. She’ll stay in Columbia as long as they want her. She spoke on that today. College is where her heart is.

Look, Pat’s illness and death was a tragedy. But life moves on. Like it or not Dawn Staley is becoming one of the faces of NCAA WBB. She’s pushing for change. Dawn won’t allow the furor of the inequity of the tournament die down. It’s been fun to watch her journey since coming to SC.

For the record Dawn stated this week she's not interested in coaching in the WNBA or any men's team. She's excited about the recruits coming in and says she has not promised anyone playing time. I would think that having 10 McDonald's All Americans is a good problem to have. Probably won't take a transfer although she's getting calls from parents etc. LeLe will decide if she wants to return for another year.

VN Store

Back