Guarantano learning what Osovet specializes in

It's not a debate when you keep being wrong and know what you are are saying is false.

He is honestly just trolling the other posters at this point.
He gets you to bite on pretty much every post. Must be hitting some feelz......

Here is the fairest summary of JG from GoVols247: "Though he made progress in many areas, Guarantano still has much improvement to make. Some of the hits he took were his own fault as he didn't read blitzes and adjust the pressure accordingly on a handful of sacks and quarterback hits. Mostly, though, breakdowns in protection behind a woeful offensive line allowed opponents to get free hits on Guarantano."

This is spot on. Yes, he shoulders some of the blame but anyone who isn't trying to argue for arguments sake would admit our O-Line needs a lot of improvement. A few other stats that are telling:

o 3.7 yards per rush (113th Nationally)
o 23 sacks (47th Nationally)
o .382 3rd Down Conversions (73rd Nationally)
o 49th in penalties/game (that is both sides of the ball)

If we had an O-Line that was even average these stats would be palatable. Let's hope that the offseason program can get us to average or better.....
It's funny that the two who liked this both disagree with what was written. They think the sacks were 50/50 Or mostly JG's fault.

It clearly says out of the million hits he took, "A handful," were his fault. It was due MOSTLY to breakdowns by the line and backs.

It's funny that the two who liked this both disagree with what was written. They think the sacks were 50/50 Or mostly JG's fault.
So you accuse me of "lying" for disagreeing with you... then actually lie on something like this? I have not said who gets what share of the blame. I don't know that. I don't have a means for determining that. There are times when it is clearly the OL. There are times when it is clearly JG. But there are just as many times when we cannot know unless we're privy to the game film, design of the play, and the assigned responsibilities.

The "funny" thing is that you are so delusional and reactive... that you probably believe what you just wrote. You don't read what people actually say... if they're critical of JG you just let your imagination go wild.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
It clearly says out of the million hits he took, "A handful," were his fault. It was due MOSTLY to breakdowns by the line and backs.
I can't find the article... but the quote above doesn't say anything like that. Are you lying again? That author SUBJECTIVELY assigns more blame to the OL than JG... but he likely doesn't have inside access either.

I can't find the article... but the quote above doesn't say anything like that. Are you lying again? That author SUBJECTIVELY assigns more blame to the OL than JG... but he likely doesn't have inside access either.
Guarantano still has much improvement to make. Some of the hits he took were his own fault as he didn't read blitzes and adjust the pressure accordingly on a handful of sacks and quarterback hits. Mostly, though, breakdowns in protection behind a woeful offensive line allowed opponents to get free hits on Guarantano."

It literally says a handful were his fault but most were due to breakdowns in protection.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Guarantano still has much improvement to make. Some of the hits he took were his own fault as he didn't read blitzes and adjust the pressure accordingly on a handful of sacks and quarterback hits. Mostly, though, breakdowns in protection behind a woeful offensive line allowed opponents to get free hits on Guarantano."

It literally says a handful were his fault but most were due to breakdowns in protection.
So you admit that you lied? You said: "It clearly says out of the million hits he took..."

And again, this still the opinion of someone else that has no way of knowing the design of the play or distribution of responsibilities. I can say for certain that some were JG's fault. I can say for certain that some were the fault of one or more OL. I have said more than once that without more information I could not possibly assign blame for the larger portion of plays that are not as clear. You on the other hand assume all of those plays fall on someone else and still haven't been specific about how JG might be to blame.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
So you admit that you lied? You said: "It clearly says out of the million hits he took..."

And again, this still the opinion of someone else that has no way of knowing the design of the play or distribution of responsibilities. I can say for certain that some were JG's fault. I can say for certain that some were the fault of one or more OL. I have said more than once that without more information I could not possibly assign blame for the larger portion of plays that are not as clear. You on the other hand assume all of those plays fall on someone else and still haven't been specific about how JG might be to blame.

i can and JG explained it. breakdowns in protection of oline in playcalls and the lack of him having the control to change protections

Weinke won a heisTman trophy and won a National Championship as QB while at Florida State.

Osovet is a good QB coach and a master of the run option and the O in general.

Our new IC is a great OC and QB coach who also coached Drew Brees who's too short to play QB, LOL!

If JG and our other QB's can't learn and get better being trained by those 3 coaches they they need to give up football and try out for a baseball team.

Relax people, it's going to get better.

VFL...GBO!!!

I would rather recruit offensive lineman than know how to use more than middle school blocking techniques. I’m glad he didn’t take more chances last year. We could have easily been 4-8 if he went into gunslingermode and tried to do too much.

Sorry I am late seeing this. I forget though; what was UT's Record last year?

Yet another poster pointing all the blame towards the OL. I hope Chaney and others can get JG to turn the corner and be a great QB, not just a serviceable one. We shall see.
You’re right, all the blame doesn’t fall at the feet of last year’s OL....our TEs and RBs couldn’t block for shiite either.

Reactions: lexkyvol
i can and JG explained it. breakdowns in protection of oline in playcalls and the lack of him having the control to change protections
I find this hard to believe. NO Coach worth two sh*ts will allow a QB to stand back there and get creamed like he did. If JG had the first gonad, he would have told Helton to F'off and transfer. There is no way that the kid is required to drop back like that and get killed.

Last edited:
Reactions: chargervol
I also think it is important to let the kid evolve too. He took a beating and made some bad decisions. I expect a much more mature and composed player each year with experience.
4-1 td to interception ratio....didn’t make many bad decisions, especially given the incompetence in front of him tasked to “protect” him so he could make plays for his team.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yep, he'd argue with a fence post then pull it up and argue with the hole.

What exactly does "get behind and support JG" mean, on a message board? Good thing there are really only about 5-6 that really get butthurt if JG is criticized at all.
Criticism of JG is fine, people just need to make it fair and factual, not just continually spout their own biased, outdated, subjective opinion based on how he played in 2017.

Yes he did... except neither you nor he went the next step.

Dobbs changed protections. Dormady changed protections. Dormady played behind the same OL and had like 3 sacks compared to 30+ when JG played behind them.

This is another STRONG indicator that previous OC's tried to protect JG from mistakes by limiting his responsibilities and options. JG also mentioned hot routes. There is simply no reason NOT to let a QB throw a hot route against pressure except that he can't read D's or can't make the throws. There's no good reasons a QB in his 3rd year shouldn't be trusted to make line calls and audibles. Maybe the previous OC's just wanted to limit their O and lose more games... but I tend toward thinking JG couldn't handle it.

Even when several including the cult leader himself were claiming JG was making line calls and doing the whole job... I said he wasn't but that Chaney would demand that he either did it or would bench him.

I find this hard to believe. NO Coach worth two sh*ts will allow a QB to stand back there and get creamed like he did. If JG had the first gonad, he would have told Helton to F'off and transfer. There is no way that the kid is required to drop back like that and get killed.
Unless the QB was not capable of doing it correctly...

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Thats pure speculation. You have zero idea... just like the rest of us.
No. It isn't "pure" speculation. It is reasonable speculation based on what we've seen and what logic would dictate.

If the last two OC's had believed JG could make line calls, throw to the middle of the field, and make the reads/throws necessary for hot reads... what possible motivation could they have NOT to let him do it? Why would an OC intentionally disallow a player from doing something they were capable of doing that would make the O MUCH more effective?

No. It isn't "pure" speculation. It is reasonable speculation based on what we've seen and what logic would dictate.

If the last two OC's had believed JG could make line calls, throw to the middle of the field, and make the reads/throws necessary for hot reads... what possible motivation could they have NOT to let him do it? Why would an OC intentionally disallow a player from doing something they were capable of doing that would make the O MUCH more effective?
Do you believe Larry Scott had any idea what he was “allowing” ANYBODY to do?

VN Store

Back