Guarantano learning what Osovet specializes in

I hope JG starts taking more chances on his throws this season. I think that is what contributed to our stalling offense at times. He may have had a record for no interceptions, but he needs to take more chances at some point.

I hope JG starts taking more chances on his throws this season. I think that is what contributed to our stalling offense at times. He may have had a record for no interceptions, but he needs to take more chances at some point.

I would rather recruit offensive lineman than know how to use more than middle school blocking techniques. I’m glad he didn’t take more chances last year. We could have easily been 4-8 if he went into gunslingermode and tried to do too much.

I would rather recruit offensive lineman than know how to use more than middle school blocking techniques. I’m glad he didn’t take more chances last year. We could have easily been 4-8 if he went into gunslingermode and tried to do too much.
It would be wonderful if JG really buys in.

Doesn’t matter your O line if your QB only throws safe ones. They could’ve won more games and possibly reached 6 wins taking more chances. Doesn’t matter if you take more chances in a game when you continually lose by 26+ points.

Doesn’t matter your O line if your QB only throws safe ones. They could’ve won more games and possibly reached 6 wins taking more chances. Doesn’t matter if you take more chances in a game when you continually lose by 26+ points.

Of course it matters. JG barely had time to take a 3 step drop half the time. Short, safe routes were what he was relegated to. When he actually had time (Auburn game) he was effective and productive throwing the ball downfield.

Of course it matters. JG barely had time to take a 3 step drop half the time. Short, safe routes were what he was relegated to. When he actually had time (Auburn game) he was effective and productive throwing the ball downfield.

And if I recall correctly, Greg McElroy pointed out in that game he could still avoid hits if he actually moved around. Of course the line matters, but it does no good if your QB isn’t taking a chance on some throws that can gain more yards. You can’t blame the o line for every pressure if your QB stands in the same spot the majority of the time.

If all goes well, this will keep JG off his back and mean a lot less negative yards when defense show a blitz or other unbalanced looks.

If we just cut the negative plays in half that would result in an extra 30 or more net yards per game and probably 3-5 more 1st downs per game.

Last edited:

Yeah man our defense was shutting teams down. Clearly the QB was the problem.

Clearly our offense was getting shutdown which means more time on the field for the defense. Our defense at least improved last year.

True. Worst OL in SEC. WR corps that led the conference in drops. Unreliable TE play. Horrible play calling. But again, JG is clearly the main problem.

True. Worst OL in SEC. WR corps that led the conference in drops. Unreliable TE play. Horrible play calling. But again, JG is clearly the main problem.

You got evidence that every drop is due to the receivers? Our whole offense was unreliable. When it struggled so did JG. When have we had a game where he was clearly the difference maker?

I won’t say he’s the only problem offensively, but I know compared to other QBs in the conference he is not at the top. If there are problems at QB, it will affect the whole offense because a lot is put on them.

Clearly our offense was getting shutdown which means more time on the field for the defense. Our defense at least improved last year.
We had games last year when we held a significant time of possession advantage and were blown out of the stadium. It cuts both ways.

We had an offensive line that allowed negative rushing plays 1/3 of the time, which easily led the nation. When we moved the ball, it was primarily our passing game, which was led by the QB that you and others on here love to hate.

Bad OL play, inability to run the ball, and a defense that can’t stop a nosebleed....those are the things that lost us 7 games last year.

You got evidence that every drop is due to the receivers? Our whole offense was unreliable. When it struggled so did JG. When have we had a game where he was clearly the difference maker?

I won’t say he’s the only problem offensively, but I know compared to other QBs in the conference he is not at the top. If there are problems at QB, it will affect the whole offense because a lot is put on them.

He was the difference maker in the Auburn and U.K. wins. He didn’t turn the ball over. Made great throws. Threw 4 TDS and almost 10 yards pre attempt. Was he the only reason we won? Nope. But what you saw in those 2 games was the team playing good. Those were really the only 2 games that the OL played good. And wouldn’t you know it, the offense looked good.

JG has his issues. He is not an elite QB. But there is no QB in theSEC that has had to go through what he has since coming here. Not even close.

He was the difference maker in the Auburn and U.K. wins. He didn’t turn the ball over. Made great throws. Threw 4 TDS and almost 10 yards pre attempt. Was he the only reason we won? Nope. But what you saw in those 2 games was the team playing good. Those were really the only 2 games that the OL played good. And wouldn’t you know it, the offense looked good.

JG has his issues. He is not an elite QB. But there is no QB in theSEC that has had to go through what he has since coming here. Not even close.

The whole team has endured the same b.s. As I said, when the whole team performed well so did he. If JG was a difference maker, he would be responsible for more TDs than he had against teams like UTEP and Charlotte, especially as a dual threat.

So add something else to JG’s list for you other than he just generally sucks and has no business playing D1 football.....holds the ball too long (despite evidence to the contrary) and can’t read a defense (despite setting a school record for most pass attempts without an interception and throwing only 3 all season) ......now he’s inaccurate and causes his receivers to drop passes. Alrighty then.

Spoiler alert....you’re gonna hate Tennessee Vol football in 2019....JG is gonna be your starting QB. Lol!

So add something else to JG’s list for you other than he just generally sucks and has no business playing D1 football.....holds the ball too long (despite evidence to the contrary) and can’t read a defense (despite setting a school record for most pass attempts without an interception and throwing only 3 all season) ......now he’s inaccurate and causes his receivers to drop passes. Alrighty then.

Spoiler alert....you’re gonna hate Tennessee Vol football in 2019....JG is gonna be your starting QB. Lol!

I didn’t say he generally sucks but ok. Reading a defense will not correlate directly with interceptions, that can be attributed to safe throws as well.

He’s basically mediocre at this time. However, I liked how he did play against Auburn and KY, especially the throw to get a TD before half time against KY rather than play safe like Pruitt wanted.

We’ll see what he will do this year, but if it’s more of the same inconsistency in the first 3 games I hope someone else can come in and be a difference maker type QB before we start the SEC slate with FL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand mouthbreathers that hate on Guarantano.

Not everyone will be Peyton effing Manning, and you all look like the stereotypical "backup better than the starter" doofus everyone makes fun of.

The whole team has endured the same b.s. As I said, when the whole team performed well so did he. If JG was a difference maker, he would be responsible for more TDs than he had against teams like UTEP and Charlotte, especially as a dual threat.
1. Yes, the team has endured a ton of BS from the pathetic culture and lack of talent that exist up there. However, JG, as QB, has endured more physical abuse as a result of his pathetic OL that couldn’t/wouldn’t block anybody all last year. That’s unarguable.

2. Additionally, as a result of a lot of ignorant, biased fans who literally put all the blame of a team’s woes on the QB, he’s also had to endure an undue amount of critical, misplaced BS that other players have not. Despite clearly being the offense’s best player last year, a lot of guys on here have claimed he’s literally the only reason for our 7 losses and the team’s overwhelming number of deficiencies

3. JG was 16-21 for 172 yds and a TD, 0 into vs Charlotte. Our offensive problems that day stemmed from a great OL performance that led to 20 total rushing yards on 26 attempts.

He was 12-16 for 168 yards, 1 td and no ints vs UTEP in a 24-0 win

So, you’re complaining about his play in 2 games where he was a combined 28-37 (76%), 340 yards, 2 tds and 0 ints? Ok, I guess?

4. For the 12 billionth time, he IS NOT a dual threat QB, in the same way that Dobbs was NOT the 4th ranked prostyle QB that the recruiting services said he was.

I didn’t say he generally sucks but ok. Reading a defense will not correlate directly with interceptions, that can be attributed to safe throws as well.

He’s basically mediocre at this time. However, I liked how he did play against Auburn and KY, especially the throw to get a TD before half time against KY rather than play safe like Pruitt wanted.

We’ll see what he will do this year, but if it’s more of the same inconsistency in the first 3 games I hope someone else can come in and be a difference maker type QB before we start the SEC slate with FL.

No, I’ll be pulling for the team’s QB this year hoping he shows a lot of the same good play and toughness he showed last year....and hoping he gets even better and more efficient with a TON MORE HELP from his teammates and that it results in 25-30 TD passes............all while guys like you can’t wait until he takes his first sack, throws his first incompletion, or holds the ball .001 seconds longer than you thought he should have, so you can get in here and post, for the 10,000th time, how much he effing sucks.

No, I’ll be pulling for the team’s QB this year hoping he shows a lot of the same good play and toughness he showed last year....and hoping he gets even better and more efficient with a TON MORE HELP from his teammates and that it results in 25-30 TD passes............all while guys like you can’t wait until he takes his first sack, throws his first incompletion, or holds the ball .001 seconds longer than you thought he should have, so you can get in here and post, for the 10,000th time, how much he effing sucks.

There are a few!

And you’ll be in here after a game we win saying “WHERE ARE ALL THE JG HATERS?!” like last year after Auburn. I remember the “JG haters” saying it was a great game and things looked pretty good with nothing against JG. I’m sure that made your blood boil.

Reactions: 08Vol and VOLnMiami

I guess JG figured the least amount of time the offense was on the field, least amount of time he would be clobbered. Seriously, SMH, blame or critique could be spread around for last year. Coaching, offensive line, lack of blocking from running backs, dropped passes from wide recievers, defensive line, young and inexperienced players, schedule, fans not being supportive, etc. You get the picture, oh and of course JG. I don’t know if he will be great or not, I’m supporting him, as the starter, or whoever replaces him, when he’s not.

VN Store

Back