Guarantano learning what Osovet specializes in

Of course it matters. JG barely had time to take a 3 step drop half the time. Short, safe routes were what he was relegated to. When he actually had time (Auburn game) he was effective and productive throwing the ball downfield.

We got fans who refuse to understand this reality. I'm not a fan of reality either, but it's the only place to get a decent meal or win a game.

I would rather recruit offensive lineman than know how to use more than middle school blocking techniques. I’m glad he didn’t take more chances last year. We could have easily been 4-8 if he went into gunslingermode and tried to do too much.

Yet another poster pointing all the blame towards the OL. I hope Chaney and others can get JG to turn the corner and be a great QB, not just a serviceable one. We shall see.

And if I recall correctly, Greg McElroy pointed out in that game he could still avoid hits if he actually moved around. Of course the line matters, but it does no good if your QB isn’t taking a chance on some throws that can gain more yards. You can’t blame the o line for every pressure if your QB stands in the same spot the majority of the time.
Deer in Headlights= JG

Yet another poster pointing all the blame towards the OL. I hope Chaney and others can get JG to turn the corner and be a great QB, not just a serviceable one. We shall see.
OL doesn't deserve all of the blame. Probably 85-90% of it though.

“I think that I even tried to get it quicker as the off-season went,” Guarantano said. “I think that I have been focusing on my release, my footwork. I think with this offense coming in, there are a lot of answers, a lot of hot throws and I can take care of the protection. I am very excited about that. It’s me being a master of the offense now.”
Can't be. k-town king has called me a "liar" for saying that JG either couldn't or wasn't allowed to do these things....

I'm going on the record giving JG a HUGE thumbs up and a lot of credit for hanging in there while getting clobbered play-after-play.
I hope Pruitt's improvements in our team will provide JG with the opportunity to show everyone what he can do with pass protection that's even close to what a division one SEC quarterback should be able to expect.
GBO...!!

1. Yes, the team has endured a ton of BS from the pathetic culture and lack of talent that exist up there. However, JG, as QB, has endured more physical abuse as a result of his pathetic OL that couldn’t/wouldn’t block anybody all last year. That’s unarguable.

2. Additionally, as a result of a lot of ignorant, biased fans who literally put all the blame of a team’s woes on the QB, he’s also had to endure an undue amount of critical, misplaced BS that other players have not. Despite clearly being the offense’s best player last year, a lot of guys on here have claimed he’s literally the only reason for our 7 losses and the team’s overwhelming number of deficiencies

3. JG was 16-21 for 172 yds and a TD, 0 into vs Charlotte. Our offensive problems that day stemmed from a great OL performance that led to 20 total rushing yards on 26 attempts.

He was 12-16 for 168 yards, 1 td and no ints vs UTEP in a 24-0 win

So, you’re complaining about his play in 2 games where he was a combined 28-37 (76%), 340 yards, 2 tds and 0 ints? Ok, I guess?

4. For the 12 billionth time, he IS NOT a dual threat QB, in the same way that Dobbs was NOT the 4th ranked prostyle QB that the recruiting services said he was.

Great post

I would rather recruit offensive lineman than know how to use more than middle school blocking techniques. I’m glad he didn’t take more chances last year. We could have easily been 4-8 if he went into gunslingermode and tried to do too much.

4-8, 5-7. Is there really much difference? Both are losing records and both keeps us from going to a bowl. Imo they are essentially the same thing.

I hope JG starts taking more chances on his throws this season. I think that is what contributed to our stalling offense at times. He may have had a record for no interceptions, but he needs to take more chances at some point.
I just think he wasn't given the option by Helton to do that. The plays called were designed to go to a specific player, with other options just being decoys.

I'm going on the record giving JG a HUGE thumbs up and a lot of credit for hanging in there while getting clobbered play-after-play.
I hope Pruitt's improvements in our team will provide JG with the opportunity to show everyone what he can do with pass protection that's even close to what a division one SEC quarterback should be able to expect.
GBO...!!
I hope he can show what he can do with reads and decision making even close to what a division one SEC quarterback in his 4th season should be able to do. The OL wasn't good. They were very often just physically overmatched. But is wasn't all on them. NO OL can provide the amount of time on a regular basis for a QB to be that weak at pre-snap reads and take as long as JG did to make decisions. It is a DISTINCT advantage to opposing DC's when they know you aren't going to hit hot routes, throw to the middle of the field, or burn them for stunts and blitzes.

Hopefully, this article is dead on and JG has made strides in his SIGNIFICANT weaknesses. If he has... the O will get a lot better even if the OL hasn't. If the OL HAS then the O will get much, much better.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I hope JG starts taking more chances on his throws this season. I think that is what contributed to our stalling offense at times. He may have had a record for no interceptions, but he needs to take more chances at some point.
Hot Route!!!.........Red7!....... would you just stand on the other side please?

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
1. Yes, the team has endured a ton of BS from the pathetic culture and lack of talent that exist up there. However, JG, as QB, has endured more physical abuse as a result of his pathetic OL that couldn’t/wouldn’t block anybody all last year. That’s unarguable.
Wow. This from you? Now you're throwing the OL's under the bus too in a vain effort to deny the significant weaknesses of JG?

2. Additionally, as a result of a lot of ignorant, biased fans who literally put all the blame of a team’s woes on the QB, he’s also had to endure an undue amount of critical, misplaced BS that other players have not. Despite clearly being the offense’s best player last year, a lot of guys on here have claimed he’s literally the only reason for our 7 losses and the team’s overwhelming number of deficiencies
How many, minus the trolls, have said any of that?

3. JG was 16-21 for 172 yds and a TD, 0 into vs Charlotte. Our offensive problems that day stemmed from a great OL performance that led to 20 total rushing yards on 26 attempts.
And a QB who wasn't trusted to throw passes across the middle allowing the Charlotte to play up... and a QB with a D sold out to stop the run who couldn't take advantage. This isn't an "either/or". JG bears a big part of the blame.

He was 12-16 for 168 yards, 1 td and no ints vs UTEP in a 24-0 win
And those are impressive stats against a 1-11 team. The only team to score less points vs UTEP than UT was UAB

4. For the 12 billionth time, he IS NOT a dual threat QB, in the same way that Dobbs was NOT the 4th ranked prostyle QB that the recruiting services said he was.
The suggestion has been made that Jones sold him as a DT QB to pump his ranking... either way, he's definitely not a running QB.

If JG does his homework, it'll appear as though he is taking more risks. But, in all actuality, he'll be making better, more informed throws, with considerably less risk. Taking what the defense gives him, and manipulating the defenses, to get what he wants, or a better option.
If JG is moving RB's and TE's around, in game number one, then we know that he's been close to getting it. Maybe he didn't have the authority to do that, this past season. But, his back-up did? Who knows? We'll see.

He was the difference maker in the Auburn and U.K. wins. He didn’t turn the ball over. Made great throws. Threw 4 TDS and almost 10 yards pre attempt. Was he the only reason we won? Nope. But what you saw in those 2 games was the team playing good. Those were really the only 2 games that the OL played good. And wouldn’t you know it, the offense looked good.

JG has his issues. He is not an elite QB. But there is no QB in theSEC that has had to go through what he has since coming here. Not even close.
You get it. Could JG improve? Of course. Is he anywhere close to last year’s team’s biggest problem? Not a chance

I just think he wasn't given the option by Helton to do that. The plays called were designed to go to a specific player, with other options just being decoys.

I think that’s a possibility with the way Pruitt talked last year. He wanted the ball to not be turned over, which in my mind means less explosive plays by taking less chances. That and the QB isn’t different from any other position comment was not a good sign for last year offensively.

I hope he lets Chaney do his thing to get more points on the board cause our defense was good at times but got destroyed against the better QBs of the SEC.

Thats why I laughed at him. He reads what he wants into everything people say.

I actually base my posts on facts. The fact is that JG has only proven to be a serviceable QB that manages the O well without any major upside. Prove to me with stats that he is a top 5 QB in the SEC. Most on this board are the ones that are lacking in reading comprehension and fact finding. Most are only speaking on emotion with no numbers to prove a point. The fact is that JG was lower than 5th in pretty much every QB rating besides efficiency due to throwing lots of short passes and check downs. JG hasn't even proven to be able to throw over the middle with success. Maybe CJC and CTM will make a major difference in the O and JG. Like I said. We shall see. I am not hoping JG fails like most think. I am hoping he succeeds or UT changes QBs by the third game and never looks back. A serviceable QB will not get it done for UT. The D will probably be less effective this year. The O will have to pull more weight to win 7-8 games. If JG is still struggling as a RS Junior with many of his duties as a QB which hinders the O the majority of the time, he needs to be benched in favor of a QB that will have much more upside and be what UT needs in a QB my mid or toward the end of the season!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
I actually base my posts on facts. The fact is that JG has only proven to be a serviceable QB that manages the O well without any major upside. Prove to me with stats that he is a top 5 QB in the SEC. Most on this board are the ones that are lacking in reading comprehension and fact finding. Most are only speaking on emotion with no numbers to prove a point. The fact is that JG was lower than 5th in pretty much every QB rating besides efficiency due to throwing lots of short passes and check downs. JG hasn't even proven to be able to throw over the middle with success. Maybe CJC and CTM will make a major difference in the O and JG. Like I said. We shall see. I am not hoping JG fails like most think. I am hoping he succeeds or UT changes QBs by the third game and never looks back. A serviceable QB will not get it done for UT. The D will probably be less effective this year. The O will have to pull more weight to win 7-8 games. If JG is still struggling as a RS Junior with many of his duties as a QB which hinders the O the majority of the time, he needs to be benched in favor of a QB that will have much more upside and be what UT needs in a QB my mid or toward the end of the season!!!
Lol.

And if I recall correctly, Greg McElroy pointed out in that game he could still avoid hits if he actually moved around. Of course the line matters, but it does no good if your QB isn’t taking a chance on some throws that can gain more yards. You can’t blame the o line for every pressure if your QB stands in the same spot the majority of the time.

Don't give one hoot what Greg Mc has to say

VN Store

Back