Greg Oden, whats our plan of attack?

Great player and has plenty of size to boot. Everyone knows we do not match up well with big men and he is one of the best, so.............

A. Always look to double him down low? Make another OSU player beat us when Greg Oden kicks the ball out to a teamate? Basically shut him down and hope they shoot poor.
B. Keep normal game plan and hope he has a less than stellar night. Try to create more turnovers with the press? Can we beat this team and let the big man do his thing?

I am worried about foul trouble beause guarding a man this big creates lots of contact and physical play.

C. Buy him a Mach 3 and some shaving cream and teach the art of shaving.

I'd get Chism to step on his foot while shoving him to the floor causing a sprained ankle or a ligament/tendon rupture.. That will solve alot of our issues in our preperation.

LG said it best - Hit the outside shots so Oden has nothing to rebound. Hope our guys are on. Like Hatvol wrote, "Playing with House money now."

Pearl's plan wiil be to run their butts in the ground with the press and wear them down by the fourth. Also expect Childress to play quite a lot on the perimeter to make Oden have to come outside the paint to guard him when Childress is in the game.

Basically if Lofton and J. Smith ore hitting the threes we are capable of pulling the upset. If not, then it's irrevalent what Oden does or doesn't do.

TO stop Oden is simple. Get TV land to run an all night Matlock marathon on WED night. Old people love matlock. :)

Or we could just spike his Geritol.

Have a benchwarmer punch him in the mouth..both ejected...problem solved. That or platoon 2 guys to deny him the ball all night.

Hello Vols fans. Looking forward to a good game. I'm the admin of Ohio State Buckeye Fan Forums - Buckeyes 24/7 and was invited over here by TennVOLS423.

This should be a good game. I honestly haven't been looking forward to it. We barely beat you last time in C-Bus. And if there is such a thing as a secondary team UT is it. I grew up in Buckeye country but I was born in Knoxville TN, at Fort Sanders Hospital (although we didn't stay long), so I've always followed from a distance.

If you want the answer on what to do about Oden, watch some replay of the Xavier game and look at what Cage did to make him uncomfortable while he's on defense.

As for offense. Oden is still very raw. He still shuffles his feet. He'll probably get at least 2 traveling calls in the game. Also, you can't compare what you did to him last time to neutralize him of offense. Up until about 3 weeks ago Oden wasn't able to use his right hand with any consistency and the team actually couldn't pass him the ball unless he could catch it with his left hand first and trap it with his right. If his body was positioned so that his right hand would catch the pass they were instructed under no circumstance could they pass the ball to him (this mainly for Oden's protection and also to protect the ball and possession). That is not the case any longer. He is more of an offensive threat now that he can use both hands. He just has to stay within himself.

Oden is still very young even though he doesn't look it. At times his play reflects his youth.

Slick Rick says, welcome Nate. I (Slick Rick) would personally like to welcome you to the board. I am going to be heading out to San Antonio in about 3 hours. We are stopping in Starkville Mississippi tonight because I won a row of 2nd row tickets behind the State bench for the game with FSU tonight. We will be holding up Slick Rick signs so make sure and look for us. The game starts at 7:00 EST on ESPN. As for our game, I believe TN needs to let Oden get his points and try and limit Conley and Lewis. I feel that those are the two guys that bring the most to the table for Ohio State. If Oden scores 20 and those two only combine for 20, I like Tennessee's chances. Those two guys are the key.

I know this off topic and I apologize, but does anyone remember the name of the transfer from Arizona that Pearl got this past fall, he is redshirted I know I think until next season, but can he still practice

Slick Rick says, the transfer we got is J.P. Prince. Prince was a 5 star player on Rivals 2 years ago. He is from Memphis and he will be eligible to play after Christmas next season. He is going to try and appeal to get the first semester back as well. He had mono and was out for many games. He will either have 2 1/2 years or 3 years left to play with us.

Slick Rick says, the transfer we got is J.P. Prince. Prince was a 5 star player on Rivals 2 years ago. He is from Memphis and he will be eligible to play after Christmas next season. He is going to try and appeal to get the first semester back as well. He had mono and was out for many games. He will either have 2 1/2 years or 3 years left to play with us.

Many thanks man appreciate the info.

didn't pearl recruit a big man out of New Jersey for next year. I know that doesn't help now, but it seems in my little basketball knowledge that it helps so much to have a real big man down low

I think it is an advantage that Pearl and Company got to scout the Buckeyes earlier in the year and have some idea of how well their approach worked last time. Of course, this goes both ways and the teams have grown/changed since then, but I still think it must be helpful.

Forget Oden's offense. He's mediocre there today. Keep him off the offensive boards and he's relatively useless on that end. Clamp down on the two shooters and back off of Conley (force him to beat us shooting instead of driving. I mean dare him to shoot it.) and let Oden get what he gets. I think that's the best recipe for beating them. Easier said than done.

Forget Oden's offense. He's mediocre there today. Keep him off the offensive boards and he's relatively useless on that end. Clamp down on the two shooters and back off of Conley (force him to beat us shooting instead of driving. I mean dare him to shoot it.) and let Oden get what he gets. I think that's the best recipe for beating them. Easier said than done.

I agree! Oden had 20+ points and 10+ boards in January and we should have won the game. Allow 1 person to "get his" and stop the other 4. Oden isn't The Dream or Ewing yet. Jones, Cook, and Conley can provide much more offense than 1 Greg Oden.

BPV, do you agree that RAYmar Smith's role in this game will be the key? He needs to drive to the basket and either draw fouls from Oden or if the defense collapses to help, kick out to our infinite number of shooters. Thoughts?

Driving and kicking is going to be key period. Lofton should be the only person on the squad that's allowed at anytime in the shot clock to just fire away. Otherwise we need to be driving to draw fouls, move the D, and get some open looks outside. I also think that we need to run the floor on every possession. If it's not there then we pull it out and run the offense, but Oden has shown a lack of stamina in uptempo games.

Driving and kicking is going to be key period. Lofton should be the only person on the squad that's allowed at anytime in the shot clock to just fire away. Otherwise we need to be driving to draw fouls, move the D, and get some open looks outside. I also think that we need to run the floor on every possession. If it's not there then we pull it out and run the offense, but Oden has shown a lack of stamina in uptempo games.

Spot on, my friend, spot on!

BPV, do you agree that RAYmar Smith's role in this game will be the key? He needs to drive to the basket and either draw fouls from Oden or if the defense collapses to help, kick out to our infinite number of shooters. Thoughts?

I'll bite. Ramar is a key because penetrating into the post is a key. Ramar doesn't have to score so much as get in and pass. The overall key is interior passing I think. Execute this aspect as we did versus Florida at home and the Vols will be tough to beat...

Have a benchwarmer punch him in the mouth..both ejected...problem solved. That or platoon 2 guys to deny him the ball all night.

While watching the guy that looks like an offensive lineman play for Jackson State this weekend, I was wondering aloud about this strategy. Let's see that your twelfth guy is someone off your football team. He comes in about five minutes in, starts a little pushing under the basket with Oden, and cold-cocks him right in the face. Your player is ejected, but Oden is either done for the night or severely messed up. What can the officials do -- make you forfeit the game?

(Note that I am NOT advocating this sort of thuggery, in spite of the fact that I'm a hockey fan. I'm just genuinely curious what the officials are allowed to do in such a case.)

While watching the guy that looks like an offensive lineman play for Jackson State this weekend, I was wondering aloud about this strategy. Let's see that your twelfth guy is someone off your football team. He comes in about five minutes in, starts a little pushing under the basket with Oden, and cold-cocks him right in the face. Your player is ejected, but Oden is either done for the night or severely messed up. What can the officials do -- make you forfeit the game?

(Note that I am NOT advocating this sort of thuggery, in spite of the fact that I'm a hockey fan. I'm just genuinely curious what the officials are allowed to do in such a case.)

I would have started following basketball alot sooner if this was in the rules:)

I agree! Oden had 20+ points and 10+ boards in January and we should have won the game. Allow 1 person to "get his" and stop the other 4. Oden isn't The Dream or Ewing yet. Jones, Cook, and Conley can provide much more offense than 1 Greg Oden.

Yes. Let Ramar drive and draw fouls from Oden. That is key.

VN Store

Back