Greg Oden, whats our plan of attack?

Fine Vol

Go Vols
Great player and has plenty of size to boot. Everyone knows we do not match up well with big men and he is one of the best, so.............

A. Always look to double him down low? Make another OSU player beat us when Greg Oden kicks the ball out to a teamate? Basically shut him down and hope they shoot poor.
B. Keep normal game plan and hope he has a less than stellar night. Try to create more turnovers with the press? Can we beat this team and let the big man do his thing?

I am worried about foul trouble beause guarding a man this big creates lots of contact and physical play.

Great player and has plenty of size to boot. Everyone knows we do not match up well with big men and he is one of the best, so.............

A. Always look to double him down low? Make another OSU player beat us when Greg Oden kicks the ball out to a teamate? Basically shut him down and hope they shoot poor.
B. Keep normal game plan and hope he has a less than stellar night. Try to create more turnovers with the press? Can we beat this team and let the big man do his thing?

I am worried about foul trouble beause guarding a man this big creates lots of contact and physical play.

B.

yeah looks like we're going to be in foul trouble for most of the night...passely might get some minutets?

I say we lace his Polident with something strong. When the old man goes to put his choppers in for game time, he'll go nighty-night. :)

Shutting down Greg Oden isn't really our M.O., I bet. I think CBP will look to lock down the other 4 guys. If we get our semi-bigs into foul trouble, it will negate Oden's foul trouble AND our depth. The key to getting Oden into foul trouble and out of the game lies in the hands of 1 player more than any other - RAY-mar Smith. He needs to continue his fearless attack to the basket like he did against Virginia. Oden will hack him everytime, and if we get the call even half the time, Oden will have 25 minutes.

Shutting down Greg Oden isn't really our M.O., I bet. I think CBP will look to lock down the other 4 guys. If we get our semi-bigs into foul trouble, it will negate Oden's foul trouble AND our depth. The key to getting Oden into foul trouble and out of the game lies in the hands of 1 player more than any other - RAY-mar Smith. He needs to continue his fearless attack to the basket like he did against Virginia. Oden will hack him everytime, and if we get the call even half the time, Oden will have 25 minutes.
I agree :thumbsup: . Attack him early to see if he gets into foul trouble. If not try to shut down the rest of team, Oden can't score 65 pts.

you could say the same about Lofton and Josh Tabb too....feeding the ball inside to duke or wayne plays in to their hands.......so i don't see that being a huge issue.

i think we go in to this game expecting nothing less than a double double from Oden and take our chances trying to negqate everyone else. if we get Oden if f/t even better......but obviously, we have 0 answer for that guy.......and their guards don't exactly suck.

this presents a pretty tough matchup for us no doubt.

I think what we do is double and triple team Oden like we did late in the first game which really slowed him down. If I'm not mistaken when we did start to double and triple him it was a late double team after he had already committed to the basket and it forced him into a few turnovers.

BTW Arizona is right with Ramar. He could play a HUGE role in this game if the refs don't hide their whistles on the superstar Oden. Ramar singlehandedly kept us in the game against VA when we went cold.

Personally, I am more concerned about Conley than Oden right now. I think if we can stop Conley then we will have a very good chance of winning the ball game.

Hello Vols fans. Looking forward to a good game. I'm the admin of Ohio State Buckeye Fan Forums - Buckeyes 24/7 and was invited over here by TennVOLS423.

This should be a good game. I honestly haven't been looking forward to it. We barely beat you last time in C-Bus. And if there is such a thing as a secondary team UT is it. I grew up in Buckeye country but I was born in Knoxville TN, at Fort Sanders Hospital (although we didn't stay long), so I've always followed from a distance.

If you want the answer on what to do about Oden, watch some replay of the Xavier game and look at what Cage did to make him uncomfortable while he's on defense.

As for offense. Oden is still very raw. He still shuffles his feet. He'll probably get at least 2 traveling calls in the game. Also, you can't compare what you did to him last time to neutralize him of offense. Up until about 3 weeks ago Oden wasn't able to use his right hand with any consistency and the team actually couldn't pass him the ball unless he could catch it with his left hand first and trap it with his right. If his body was positioned so that his right hand would catch the pass they were instructed under no circumstance could they pass the ball to him (this mainly for Oden's protection and also to protect the ball and possession). That is not the case any longer. He is more of an offensive threat now that he can use both hands. He just has to stay within himself.

Oden is still very young even though he doesn't look it. At times his play reflects his youth.

Hello Vols fans. Looking forward to a good game. I'm the admin of Ohio State Buckeye Fan Forums - Buckeyes 24/7 and was invited over here by TennVOLS423.

This should be a good game. I honestly haven't been looking forward to it. We barely beat you last time in C-Bus. And if there is such a thing as a secondary team UT is it. I grew up in Buckeye country but I was born in Knoxville TN, at Fort Sanders Hospital (although we didn't stay long), so I've always followed from a distance.

If you want the answer on what to do about Oden, watch some replay of the Xavier game and look at what Cage did to make him uncomfortable while he's on defense.

As for offense. Oden is still very raw. He still shuffles his feet. He'll probably get at least 2 traveling calls in the game. Also, you can't compare what you did to him last time to neutralize him of offense. Up until about 3 weeks ago Oden wasn't able to use his right hand with any consistency and the team actually couldn't pass him the ball unless he could catch it with his left hand first and trap it with his right. If his body was positioned so that his right hand would catch the pass they were instructed under no circumstance could they pass the ball to him (this mainly for Oden's protection and also to protect the ball and possession). That is not the case any longer. He is more of an offensive threat now that he can use both hands. He just has to stay within himself.

Oden is still very young even though he doesn't look it. At times his play reflects his youth.

Welcome to the board. :hi:

My suggestion is to have the NCAA do some carbon dating on him. Surely that will prove that only his grandchildren are eligible for college ball...

Slick Rick says, I wish they would let Oden get his points, but take away Conley and the cat that beat us with the 3 pointer back in January.

Welcome Nate.

I think that the answer is to do as Xavier did. You send small guys driving to the basket to harass Oden all day. A few other posters earlier made a good point with Ramar, and I can assure you that giving Pearl a week with that Xavier tape will provide the Vols a great chance to win. If we can get Oden into foul trouble to limit his minutes, that will force Mata to put in his smaller lineup, and that will help the Vols. OSU has great guards, but they aren't as experienced as the UVA guys UT just played.

I think it will be a great game, and I think the winner is a toss up at this point.

Slick Rick says, I wish they would let Oden get his points, but take away Conley and the cat that beat us with the 3 pointer back in January.

Lewis is also the guy that hit the tying three-pointer to send the game into OT against Xavier. He has that big play under pressure ability.

Yeah, let Oden have his 20. Try and hold Conley and Lewis to 20 between both of them and Tennessee will win this game. They will not hold Tennessee in the 60's again. TN will be in the mid 70's in scoring during the second meeting.

Welcome Nate.

I think that the answer is to do as Xavier did. You send small guys driving to the basket to harass Oden all day. A few other posters earlier made a good point with Ramar, and I can assure you that giving Pearl a week with that Xavier tape will provide the Vols a great chance to win. If we can get Oden into foul trouble to limit his minutes, that will force Mata to put in his smaller lineup, and that will help the Vols. OSU has great guards, but they aren't as experienced as the UVA guys UT just played.

I think it will be a great game, and I think the winner is a toss up at this point.

Actually, Ohio State plays well in the their small lineup. I don't know if I would call our guards inexperienced. Butler is a Jr., Lewis and Harris are Sr. Only Cooke and Conley are Fr. Conley plays well beyond his years. Cooke hasn't been playing very well but he has the potential to go off.

If Ohio State is hitting it's 3's they're almost impossible to beat. If they're missing them, like they were against X, it makes them vulnerable. Luckily Lewis stepped up and carried the team in the 2nd half.

One thing I hadn't thought of that was mentioned on College Gamenight was the fact that Chism only played 19 minutes in our first match-up w/ OSU. Plus, he has greatly improved since then especially his three point shooting. Oden will have to come out to guard him if he catches the ball outside of the arc. This could leave some open drives to the basket if Chism can knock down a few three's early.

I'm so pumped right now!

C. Start the third string and tell them they each "might as well get one" (or two) "that's hard" against Oden.

One thing I hadn't thought of that was mentioned on College Gamenight was the fact that Chism only played 19 minutes in our first match-up w/ OSU. Plus, he has greatly improved since then especially his three point shooting. Oden will have to come out to guard him if he catches the ball outside of the arc. This could leave some open drives to the basket if Chism can knock down a few three's early.

I'm so pumped right now!

No, Oden doesn't have to come out of the paint to guard Chism - Ohio State has very very successfully ran a 2-3 zone the last few weeks. As was mentioned in another thread by hatvol and BPV, their 2-3 zone is so good because Oden is such a force on the defensive end, the other 4 players can choke off the normal weak point of the 2-3 zone: the perimeter.

No, Oden doesn't have to come out of the paint to guard Chism - Ohio State has very very successfully ran a 2-3 zone the last few weeks. As was mentioned in another thread by hatvol and BPV, their 2-3 zone is so good because Oden is such a force on the defensive end, the other 4 players can choke off the normal weak point of the 2-3 zone: the perimeter.

Exactly. With a normal team, our style of offense is ideal against a 2-3 zone. The drive and kick gives a lot of open threes when the guards have to collapse to protect the lane. With Oden though, he plugs up the middle all by himself, so it frees up the perimeter defenders to stick with our shooters.

VN Store

Back