Good thing Tennessee didn’t hire Lane!

If you were still hopeful with Butch as coach in 2016, I’m not really interested in your input.
Whoa, okay, wait.

Let's just rewind the clock five years. Five years to the day.

It's the 5th of October, 2016. The Tennessee Volunteers are 5-0. A few weeks ago, we beat Virginia Tech in the most-attended football game in history up at Bristol Motor Speedway, birth of the #WGWTFA meme. Then we beat Florida in Neyland, by 10 points. And just this past weekend, we marched down to Georgia and whupped them, too, with the Dobb-Nail Boot hail Mary to Jauan Jennings.

We're 5-0 after those three massively enjoyable victories.

And you're more angry about Butch being coach than you are hopeful about the Vols being 5-0 with wins over two of our biggest rivals?

Right.

Either you are deliberately refusing to remember what it felt like back then, or you really have a problem with your priorities.

Whoa, okay, wait.

Let's just rewind the clock five years. Five years to the day.

It's the 5th of October, 2016. The Tennessee Volunteers are 5-0. A few weeks ago, we beat Virginia Tech in the most-attended football game in history up at Bristol Motor Speedway, birth of the #WGWTFA meme. Then we beat Florida in Neyland, by 10 points. And just this past weekend, we marched down to Georgia and whupped them, too, with the Dobb-Nail Boot hail Mary to Jauan Jennings.

We're 5-0 after those three massively enjoyable victories.

And you're more angry about Butch being coach than you are hopeful about the Vols being 5-0 with wins over two of our biggest rivals?

Right.

Either you are deliberately refusing to remember what it felt like back then, or you really have a problem with your priorities.

I knew it wouldn’t culminate in anything meaningful. I bet deep down, you knew the same, even if you won’t admit it. Getting lucky as all hell to avoid a home loss to Appalachian State, finally getting the win over an awful Florida coach he should have beaten twice already, and needing a miracle to beat a first year UGA coach that would finish the year 7-6. None of that changed my opinion of Butch. Watching Kamara establish himself as an elite SEC back after languishing on the bench, getting beaten by a team with no one that could tackle Josh Dobbs, a high schooler at QB, and a caveman for a coach, then getting blasted by Vandy pretty well affirmed what most knew.

Reactions: overseasorange2
I knew it wouldn’t culminate in anything meaningful. I bet deep down, you knew the same, even if you won’t admit it. Getting lucky as all hell to avoid a home loss to Appalachian State, finally getting the win over an awful Florida coach he should have beaten twice already, and needing a miracle to beat a first year UGA coach that would finish the year 7-6. None of that changed my opinion of Butch. Watching Kamara establish himself as an elite SEC back after languishing on the bench, getting beaten by a team with no one that could tackle Josh Dobbs, a high schooler at QB, and a caveman for a coach, then getting blasted by Vandy pretty well affirmed what most knew.
Yes, I'm sure you knew. You saw 5-0 with wins over Florida, Georgia and Va Tech, and standing there on the 5th of October, you just knew we'd lose to Vandy before the season was out.

I'm throwing the BS flag, brother. You were hopeful with the possibilities just like the rest of Vol Nation.

Some people just don't have the ability to understand their own thoughts in a dynamic way. They can only recognize what they know now. In their minds, they always believed what they believe at this moment. They never thought differently than they do today.

If you truly can't recall hope and expectation from the situation on the 5th of October, 2016, then I can only conclude you're one of the people who are missing that ability.

Appalachian State, VT, Florida, Georgia were all clearly inferior to us in 2016, but in every game we managed to play poorly enough to where the contest was in doubt at some point.

Yes, I'm sure you knew. You saw 5-0 with wins over Florida, Georgia and Va Tech, and standing there on the 5th of October, you just knew we'd lose to Vandy before the season was out.

I'm throwing the BS flag, brother. You were hopeful with the possibilities just like the rest of Vol Nation.
I sure as hell knew we wouldn’t get past Saban and we’d probably stumble at least once more somewhere down the line. I didn’t expect he’d completely lay down and not even try to beat Bama in Neyland Stadium, though. That was really a new low for him.

Some people just don't have the ability to understand their own thoughts in a dynamic way. They can only recognize what they know now. In their minds, they always believed what they believe at this moment. They never thought differently than they do today.

If you truly can't recall hope and expectation from the situation on the 5th of October, 2016, then I can only conclude you're one of the people who are missing that ability.
I said I knew the season wouldn’t culminate in anything meaningful, and like the rest of Butch’s career it didn’t. No, I didn’t expect a humiliation on the level of getting run out of Nashville by a Derek Mason-led team.

The “win with him” part is interesting. If USC was this major upgrade, reeling off BCS wins left and right, why did they suck once Kiffin got there?

This is a win at all costs game but this guy is such a POS that Saban fired him during the playoffs just to have him away from the team. It seems that almost every other major program has paid this guy to go away other than Tennessee. Again I don’t get the fascination. Not many coaches have done less with more opportunities than Lane Kiffin.

They slid because of postseason bans and scholarship reductions aka attrition and depth issues over 2-3 recruiting classes. And once again, I’m not certain why the butthurt from people who seem to think USC wasn’t a major step up vs Tennessee at the time.

Sorry to keep piling on, but your assumptions and guesses do not equal “fact.”

Not assumptions for what I know as fact regarding Archie and Eli’s involvement with the coaching search that produced Kiffin.

VN Store

Back