Good thing Tennessee didn’t hire Lane!

Hahah I am simply asking logical questions, no drama on my end.

Don't be sorry, fill me in on your secret google tidbit knowledge. Have you found any public statements of support? Due to their connection to Ole Miss it seems logical the Manning family would sign off on the hire but odd that no public support has been given.

Coaching a qb on Saban's team is hardly proof that he is an offensive genius. Crompton is a far better example but all it proves is that he can be a good offensive coordinator, not a head coach. How many power 5 championships has Kiffin won as the head coach?

I don’t have to have a Google search link to what I know as a fact that the Manning’s signed off on Kiffin being hired in preparation for the program not being in the mud when Arch was getting ready to make a college choice. For some reason, you are apparently the know all, be all and aren’t in the know of everything. So obviously if you don’t know it, it must be fake news.

I don’t have to have a Google search link to what I know as a fact that the Manning’s signed off on Kiffin being hired in preparation for the program not being in the mud when Arch was getting ready to make a college choice. For some reason, you are apparently the know all, be all and aren’t in the know of everything. So obviously if you don’t know it, it must be fake news.

I’ll be floored if Arch ends up at Ole Miss.

Yes. Its common knowledge in Oxford and around the AD / Manning family...... Arch Manning had zero shot of going to Ole Miss had they kept Luke or hired another mid major coach..... I know this as fact and word of God.

The Mannings were directly involved with having basically the final say next to AD on who the coach would be. And regarding Kiffin's QB history, he has done a great job with QB's at college level. Look at Crompton, Sims, Coker, Driskell, and now Corall (sp?).

The Mannings wanted the coach after Luke to have 2-3 years to develop and build up the roster for Arch to walk into..... Literally no other coach they were looking at compared to Kiffin. Regardless of what you want to think given Tennessee Kiffin bias, the Mannings were the final sign off on Kiffin.

All hearsay…if even that.

Once again, I made no mention of google or the internet as a source of this.

At the end of the day, the Manning family signed off on Ole Miss hiring Kiffin. This is common knowledge around Oxford / Sexton circles.

And also, its not hard to admit that Kiffin has been great at developing QB's. What they do at the next level under other coaches has nothing to do with him. He got Crompton drafted, he got Sims to be a steady QB. He took Jacob Coker and won a natty with him. His latest project is one of the top QB's in the league. To sit here and think he isn't one of the top QB coaches/offensive guys in the country is lunacy. But I get it, people are still suffering PTSD from a football coach that has no direct impact on their life over a decade later.

Sorry to keep piling on, but your assumptions and guesses do not equal “fact.”

Yep. Kiffy will have 'em breathing fire for our visit. We'd better be healthy and playing our best when that game rolls around.

I’m not sure I agree that Kiffin will “have them breathing fire for us”. The kids that are going there now don’t care about Tennessee, hell, we barely even play them. It may be personal to Kiffy, but he’ll have’em ready to play regardless of the circumstance, I don’t think Kiff/TN will work into any Ole Miss motivation, even their fans like it does to the TN fans. And even our players really won’t get fired up for that reason, they have enough momentum and reasons to be fired up. I think only the TN fans are gonna be breathing fire. And that means the stadium will be rocking and loud, and that is what could be a great advantage for us. Go Vols!!!

Haha contraire, I have not claimed to know much. I am just asking simple questions that apparently cannot compare to your insider information. You are in the know with the "gospel."

Wait a minute, are you Lane Kiffin? Come on say it "get your popcorn ready!"

Pretty sad that he felt he had to apologize for his popcorn statement and tossing of the headphones. I thought it was good entertainment and showed he thought they’d be competitive. I’m as socially liberal as anyone on this board but this correctness policing is way out of control.

He left Tennessee to go to Southern Cal which he was vocal about being his dream job. Given their penalties from Carroll era, 3-5 guys passed the job up. Add in the fact that Mike Hamilton wrote in a weak ass buyout number if Kiffin left, not sure why you are PMS’ing so hard 12 years later for the guy leaving for his dream job. And once again, you wouldn’t bat an eye if Tennessee was in USC’s position with a coach in the same situation.

And sorry to break it to you…. At the time, USC was a major upgrade over Tennessee at the time. Tennessee was a decade removed from the BCS as a whole. USC was ripping off BCS games left and right.

And the ex girl analogy is so overplayed. I’ve never seen people so happy to be miserable than actually risk being wrong.

People would rather lose TO Kiffin than win with him. Pretty comical. Just like they would when Currie was going after Mullen and then last year when Freeze’s name was being rumored given his bad record. Pure comedy from folks.
The “win with him” part is interesting. If USC was this major upgrade, reeling off BCS wins left and right, why did they suck once Kiffin got there?

This is a win at all costs game but this guy is such a POS that Saban fired him during the playoffs just to have him away from the team. It seems that almost every other major program has paid this guy to go away other than Tennessee. Again I don’t get the fascination. Not many coaches have done less with more opportunities than Lane Kiffin.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
No, but he has exhibited enough class to not project to influence 10 or so early signees that just arrived on campus to not go to class the next day and lock themselves into their schollies. He and the Ogre solidified their way to low class status to ever be considered for rehire at UT. Evil genius is what it is. Hope he chocked on a bunch of un-popped kernels of popcorn after his pregame parting shots Saturday. Snarky is not a virtue.

That honestly doesn’t seem that bad if you look at it from a recruit’s perspective. I’d hate to be stuck at a school not even knowing who they are going to hire.

The “win with him” part is interesting. If USC was this major upgrade, reeling off BCS wins left and right, why did they suck once Kiffin got there?

This is a win at all costs game but this guy is such a POS that Saban fired him during the playoffs just to have him away from the team. It seems that almost every other major program has paid this guy to go away other than Tennessee. Again I don’t get the fascination. Not many coaches have done less with more opportunities than Lane Kiffin.
The slide had already started. They certainly didn’t get better when he left.

Pretty sad that he felt he had to apologize for his popcorn statement and tossing of the headphones. I thought it was good entertainment and showed he thought they’d be competitive. I’m as socially liberal as anyone on this board but this correctness policing is way out of control.
He’s just a moron. It has nothing to do with political correctness

They certainly didn’t improve when he got there either.

It’s just really mysterious that some Tennessee fans want him back. Every major program that has had him other than us, fired him. Not just fired him but generally tried to kick his ass otw out the door. Oakland said he was a scumbag, he bolted on Tennessee, was fired at the airport by USC, fired at Bama while team was in playoffs. The guy is just generally an immature ahole and hasn’t really learned anything from his mistakes.

They certainly didn’t improve when he got there either.

It’s just really mysterious that some Tennessee fans want him back. Every major program that has had him other than us, fired him. Not just fired him but generally tried to kick his ass otw out the door. Oakland said he was a scumbag, he bolted on Tennessee, was fired at the airport by USC, fired at Bama while team was in playoffs. The guy is just generally an immature ahole and hasn’t really learned anything from his mistakes.

He or pretty much any coach out there would have been doomed from the start there in Oakland. I think the history around that time period pretty well proves that. Al Davis had lost it and was meddling. There are interviews with players from that time period saying Al was calling down to the sideline and telling coaches what plays to run.

USC managed to have a good year, but they obviously struggled as sanctions kicked in and it became apparent that Barkley was not the #1 overall draft pick talent as had been touted. Nonetheless, Kiffin did a subpar job compared to their recent standard. The nature of his dismissal had a lot more to do with him being dismissive of boosters and somewhat hostile to the local press.

Saying he was fired at Bama as if he had done a poor job is pretty disingenuous. The heir apparent had been lined up long ago as Kiffin had let Saban know he wasn’t long for the OC role. Saban was frustrated that Kiffin was seeing to things at his new job. The alternative was the Pruitt (Bama only, to hell with the next job) approach, which resulted in UT being saddled with an awful, extremely overpaid staff featuring two coordinators who had never called plays.

I think he’ll eventually find the right spot and do well. By Ole Miss standards he may end up doing pretty well there. I don’t really care that much that he will never be the coach here as long as we eventually find a good one. My problem is that he was out there wanting the job when we staring another Pruitt level desperation hire dead in the face and we wouldn’t give him the time of day. The man knows offense and he knows recruiting. That’s the way the game is played these days. Again, hopefully Heupel is the guy and the whole discussion is rendered moot. If he isn’t, and the next coaching search inevitably deteriorates into a poorly coordinated catastrophe I hope we aren’t eliminating candidates out of pride, unwillingness to work with a particular agent, etc.

Last edited:

Ogre finished the season as interim and they won 10 games that year. They hired drunkisian, fired him mid-season in year 1.5 and hired Helton. In Helton's 1st year they won 10 games and the Rose Bowl, in year two they won 11 games and the Pac-12 title. So they most certainly did improve and pretty quickly after Lane was fired. It's especially impressive that they won 11 and the Pac 10 so quickly on the heels of the Lane/Sark fiasco.

Ogre finished the season as interim and they won 10 games that year. They hired drunkisian, fired him mid-season in year 1.5 and hired Helton. In Helton's 1st year they won 10 games and the Rose Bowl, in year two they won 11 games and the Pac-12 title. So they most certainly did improve and pretty quickly after Lane was fired. It's especially impressive that they won 11 and the Pac 10 so quickly on the heels of the Lane/Sark fiasco.
That had as much to do with the decline of Oregon and Stanford as anything. Washington had a couple of decent years, but outside that the Pac has been atrocious. They have been and continue to be irrelevant on a national scale.

That had as much to do with the decline of Oregon and Stanford as anything. Washington had a couple of decent years, but outside that the Pac has been atrocious. They have been and continue to be irrelevant on a national scale.
Sound like there’s always an excuse for Kiffin sucking.

Reactions: CR-vol
Sound like there’s always an excuse for Kiffin sucking.
Probably the most hopeful season of the last 20 years at UT. #1 ranking at USC. Set multiple offensive records at Bama. Won a lot more at FAU than Howard Schnellenberger could manage. Set conference records at Ole Miss. Seems like he’s done OK. We hired a guy with a losing record from the WAC and a guy that had never seen asparagus for crying out loud.

Kiffin got to coach a still loaded USC roster. By the time Sarkisian got there the roster was decimated. When Kiffin got fired and Ogre didn't get to keep the job, there was a mass exodus. USC only had 44 players on scholarship when Sark got the job. Sark was a complete disaster too, it' was impressive that Helton had them winning the Rose Bowl and Pac 12 within a few seasons of the smoking crater Kiffin left.

Probably the most hopeful season of the last 20 years at UT. #1 ranking at USC. Set multiple offensive records at Bama. Won a lot more at FAU than Howard Schnellenberger could manage. Set conference records at Ole Miss. Seems like he’s done OK. We hired a guy with a losing record from the WAC and a guy that had never seen asparagus for crying out loud.
No. Just no, brother. That is WAY mis-remembering the '09 season. Our hopes were shattered well before we even got to Alabama and Mount Cody. Lots more Volunteer hope in the middle of the '16 season than in '09. Heck, there's more hope right now, today, than we had halfway through the '09 season.

We also hired Lane Kiffin.

Tennessee being pathetic at hiring competent coaches has nothing to do with Lane. I guess we’ll see in a few years when he’s dumped by Ole Miss or decides to bolt for greener pastures. Lane is just as big a POS as Meyer but he’s not half the coach Meyer is.

No. Just no, brother. That is WAY mis-remembering the '09 season. Our hopes were shattered well before we even got to Alabama and Mount Cody. Lots more Volunteer hope in the middle of the '16 season than in '09. Heck, there's more hope right now, today, than we had halfway through the '09 season.
If you were still hopeful with Butch as coach in 2016, I’m not really interested in your input.

VN Store

Back