Give me your best solution

I say if we can't figure out a way to pay the profitable programs player's without having to pay the badmitton team. Then just open a 24 hr cafe in the training facility and call it good. I also see other peoples point that what they get is good enough. Everybody's a victim nowadays .

Reactions: 1 person
Provide the kids a scholarship redeemable any time in the future for a 4 year degree. Do not require the kids to actually go to school for the 4-5 years they are playing. They must work during the years they play ball to support themselves. The only way they geg the scholarship is to actually play for 4 years. If they leave early for the NFL, the scholarship is reduced and pro-rated. After thier college football career is over, they can go to the NFL. If not, then they attend college without the strain of sports pre-ocupying them. They also now don't have the mindset of, "I don't want to be in college, I just have to do this to get to the NFL." Everyone is a winner. Radical? Yes.

Schools shouldnt have to pay, but they shouldnt stop them from making money on the side. If Johnny Manziel wants to sell his autographs, and someone wants to buy them, who the heck cares? let the kid make some money.

Again, if you go that route, whats to stop big time booster from team A offering $30k to a recruit for his "autograph" (on an LOI)? Meanwhile the booster from team B can only afford to pay $15k for that "autograph". Kind creates an unfair advantage for the schools with more wealthy boosters.

There would have to be some kind of oversight to it and I'm sure that would be just as corrupt as the system in place now.

Reactions: 2 people
Again, if you go that route, whats to stop big time booster from team A offering $30k to a recruit for his "autograph" (on an LOI)? Meanwhile the booster from team B can only afford to pay $15k for that "autograph". Kind creates an unfair advantage for the schools with more wealthy boosters.

There would have to be some kind of oversight to it and I'm sure that would be just as corrupt as the system in place now.

Yep.

The universities certainly make a lot of money off the athletes, but the reverse is true too. The top notch athletes seeking to make it to the next level don't cross their fingers and attend a local college. Most of them seek out what they feel is the best university that will get them playing time, exposure, etc.

At the same time, coach Cal outlined a few things in his book I agree with:
1. The schools should pay premiums for athletes' catastrophic insurance
2. Athletes should be able to get a small loan against future earnings. Most will anyway, much like how Lebron got a tricked out Hummer in high school.
3. They should get a portion of the revenue they produce through jersey sales, etc. (not endorsements)

Why not ban the sale of anything with an amateur athlete's name on it? The athlete does not own the number on his jersey. At least, not yet.

Paying players is going to destroy college athletics. There is no feasible way to make it work. The greedy little bastards and all the greedy big bastards ruin everything.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back