Give me your best solution

"Hefty" is being generous. If you don't think the distributors are making the bang, then you aren't looking close enough. Who do you think is capitalizing more on the EA Sports stuff, the school, or the manufacturer and distributors? Hint: It isn't the school.
I consider multi millions to be hefty.

This article is barely two months old, so the situation, as it pertains to athletes' eligibility for Pell Grants, cannot have changed much, if any. According to columnist Ron Morris (MORRIS: No need to pay college athletes | Ron Morris | The State), "Qualified athletes receive up to $5,645 per year [in Pell Grants], money that is deposited in their bank account by the federal government. The money can be spent any way an athlete chooses. Some send a bulk of the money home for family needs. Others use it to make monthly car payments. Still others use it for spending money. . . . The neediest athletes are taken care of through Pell Grants and do not need the extra “stipend” that many coaches have proposed.

Pell Grants are distributed based on the annual income of an athlete’s family. The lower the income, the higher the grant. USC athletes collected $202,261 in Pell Grant money during the 2009-10 school year, $193,450 in 2010-11 and $262,069 in 2011-12. At Clemson, the average Pell Grant given to an athlete was $2,331 in 2009, $2,365 in 2010 and $2,374 in 2011. Football and men’s basketball accounted for 51 percent of the Pell Grant recipients in 2009 at Clemson, 54 percent in 2010 and 53 percent in 2011.

[Furthermore,] most fans of college sports do not know that the NCAA allows for additional help to athletes through its Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, which is “intended to provide direct benefits to student-athletes or their families as determined by conference offices.” The SEC distributed an average of $342,197 to each SEC school through the fund in 2012-13, up 16 percent from the previous year, according to a report on al.com that was based on the conference’s federal tax return. Some of those benefits include coverage of non-athletics related health expenses not covered by an athlete’s insurance plan (dental or eye glasses, for example), travel expenses for an athlete to attend funerals or family emergencies, and a $200 annual clothing allowance."

Reactions: 1 person
I went to Berea College. Every student who goes there technically has a free ride. The school is one of the richest schools in the nation (they have a billion dollar endowment) and tailors to kids who wouldn't have been able to go to school because of financial situations but were academically smart. They use the large endowment to pay for students to go to school for free (though that varies case by case). (I ended up only owing about 7,000 and that was because I went on a big trip with the school). Even though we got a "free ride" (I also was recruited for track which help me get in) I also had to work for the school to "pay" for my education, its like a work study. However we would get some of the money on the hour (I think I started at $3 an hour). The rest of the money we would have gotten paid, went towards our education. In a sense all of the employees at Berea (besides upper admin. and professors) were students. While I didn't get paid to run track my first three years were spent working in the gym, working the counter and office stuff. My last year I became a TA in the Pol. Sci. department, by that time I was making about $5 an hour. Berea had a wonderful model for giving kids an education by letting them work for it, but they also made sure we made enough for things we need like soap and toothpaste.

I could see a similar model working for student athletes. So instead of calling it a football scholarship make it a "work study" program. The students would technically be working for the school, they could make a small regulated amount/wage overseen by the NCAA, (a reasonable sum so that smaller schools would not have a disadvantage in recruitment because they could not afford to pay players) and the rest of the money would go towards the student's education.

Though I do see some of the problems that could arise because of this.

Here's more on Berea if anyone has children or are looking at colleges and they think they would qualify to go (they really only serve Appalachia).

https://www.berea.edu/admissions/tuition-costs/

I don't know if this is helpful, but I always thought it was an interesting model.

This article is barely two months old, so the situation, as it pertains to athletes' eligibility for Pell Grants, cannot have changed much, if any. According to columnist Ron Morris (MORRIS: No need to pay college athletes | Ron Morris | The State), "Qualified athletes receive up to $5,645 per year [in Pell Grants], money that is deposited in their bank account by the federal government. The money can be spent any way an athlete chooses. Some send a bulk of the money home for family needs. Others use it to make monthly car payments. Still others use it for spending money. . . . The neediest athletes are taken care of through Pell Grants and do not need the extra “stipend” that many coaches have proposed.

Pell Grants are distributed based on the annual income of an athlete’s family. The lower the income, the higher the grant. USC athletes collected $202,261 in Pell Grant money during the 2009-10 school year, $193,450 in 2010-11 and $262,069 in 2011-12. At Clemson, the average Pell Grant given to an athlete was $2,331 in 2009, $2,365 in 2010 and $2,374 in 2011. Football and men’s basketball accounted for 51 percent of the Pell Grant recipients in 2009 at Clemson, 54 percent in 2010 and 53 percent in 2011.

[Furthermore,] most fans of college sports do not know that the NCAA allows for additional help to athletes through its Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, which is “intended to provide direct benefits to student-athletes or their families as determined by conference offices.” The SEC distributed an average of $342,197 to each SEC school through the fund in 2012-13, up 16 percent from the previous year, according to a report on al.com that was based on the conference’s federal tax return. Some of those benefits include coverage of non-athletics related health expenses not covered by an athlete’s insurance plan (dental or eye glasses, for example), travel expenses for an athlete to attend funerals or family emergencies, and a $200 annual clothing allowance."

Excellent post. Also like I said athletes can also take out student loans to take care of any other expenses.

The following information is quite old (i.e. published in 2002), but much of it is specific to UT student-athletes' eligibility for, and receipt of, Pell Grants:

"Former University of Tennessee football player Donte Stallworth was one of the more than 4 million low-income students who received federal Pell Grants to help pay for college last year. But Stallworth, with his education expenses covered by an athletic scholarship, used the money to repay an agent $1,300 for a meal, airline tickets and a cell phone when [he] changed his mind about entering the NFL draft and attempted to get his NCAA eligibility back. Stallworth broke no rules by using his Pell Grant money for those expenses. Athletes often rely on the grants for needed spending money while other students need the cash just to pay tuition.

. . . . The Department of Education reports less than one percent of Pell Grant recipients nationwide are athletes on full scholarship, but an exact number is not known because the department doesn't track it. The NCAA does not track how many of its scholarship athletes receive Pell Grants. However, it reported that 23,646 athletes last year received money from a special assistance fund, which provides extra cash for needy athletes who also qualify for Pell Grants. Of the fund recipients, 17,616 also received Pell Grants.

. . . . At the University of Tennessee this year, 100 out of 353 athletes on partial or full scholarships received Pell Grants totaling $271,277, school officials said. Athletes on partial scholarship use their Pell Grants to pay the rest of their school bill. A full athletic scholarship at Tennessee is worth $8,626 for in-state students. The full in-state cost of attendance is $13,440. In essence, an athlete's Pell Grant would be used to offset the remaining $4,814.

Overall, 3,714 UT students received $7.6 million in Pell Grants" (Pell Grants given to all qualifiers regardless of athletic scholarship | TheCabin.net).

Modern day slavery! Pay them, the universities make billions and think the people responsible for making those billions should be happy because they get a scholarship, wow so do kids with good grades in high school but they aren't generating billions of dollars in revenue like the athletes. Thanks for the billions now shut up and be happy I even let you sit in my classroom for free. Just doesn't sit right with me, pay them if you are getting paid! It's a business with a few getting rich while the majority is getting taken advantage of! Nothing new.

You're comparing college athletics to slavery?

One of the worst practices in human kinds existence?

For the "Big Boy" (financially) programs, I think it should go something like this:
Assume UT has 350 athletes total (just a guess)
Assume 150 of these are involved in revenue producing sports and 200 are involved in the other sports.

If you paid 150 at the rate of $300 per week and 200 at the rate of $150 per week, we would be talking an annual
payout of 3.9 Million. Quite manageable I would think.

For the "Big Boy" (financially) programs, I think it should go something like this:
Assume UT has 350 athletes total (just a guess)
Assume 150 of these are involved in revenue producing sports and 200 are involved in the other sports.

If you paid 150 at the rate of $300 per week and 200 at the rate of $150 per week, we would be talking an annual
payout of 3.9 Million. Quite manageable I would think.

you might think that until you realize maybe a couple dozen could even cover that $3.9mil without falling into debt. UT isn't one of them

I think the money should come from the Conferences. The bigger Conferences are the ones making the money, the smaller conferences can get a portion of their money from the NCAA. Each college athlete should get paid x-amount of dollars at every University. The same amount whether male or female.

you might think that until you realize maybe a couple dozen could even cover that $3.9mil without falling into debt. UT isn't one of them

They'd have to get the NFL and NBA on board and force them to push some money downhill to the colleges that are effectively their farm system. It blows my mind how MLB's farm system has grown organically, but NFL and MLB basically get a free ride on player development.

The school provides the scholarship as always. You just allow the student to sell autographs and memorabilia that he already owns. He can also endorse what he wants. The school and NCAA still sell jerseys and video games. Pretty much the status quo except students are allowed to make money off of their likeness independently without penalty.

Wonder how many boosters of big programs would start "buying autographs" of highly rated high school prospects?

Didn't read through all this thread so this may have been mentioned already, but why not just give them a monthly expense account that is part of the scholy. They can spend it how they want and once its gone tuff. This would fix the problem of they dont have time to get a job (mo couch) to support a family/themselves. Then any money taken outside of that should be heavily penalized.

Many of these kids don't come from money and have no support financially from home so it is tuff to go hang out or take a girl out to eat or hell support a family in some cases. The schools make millions off of them why not make it a little easier on these young men and women.

Didn't read through all this thread so this may have been mentioned already, but why not just give them a monthly expense account that is part of the scholy. They can spend it how they want and once its gone tuff. This would fix the problem of they dont have time to get a job (mo couch) to support a family/themselves. Then any money taken outside of that should be heavily penalized.

Many of these kids don't come from money and have no support financially from home so it is tuff to go hang out or take a girl out to eat or hell support a family in some cases. The schools make millions off of them why not make it a little easier on these young men and women.
Somebody hold a gun to their heads and make them start a family while still in college?

Somebody hold a gun to their heads and make them start a family while still in college?

Would you rather them be absentee fathers, so you could complain about that? Or would you rather them drop out of school and be a non contributor to society, so you could complain about that. Take your pick, because in your lily white world people don't have sex and start families.

Reactions: 2 people
Forgive my ignorance but what have players been doing for the past few decades? Why is this an issue now?

In my opinion, Napier's comments seem a little dramatic. You can't eat at night? You have free food, tuition, books, board, and you can't eat at night? That's the problem that is big enough to bring in talks of a union? Ok

Would you rather them be absentee fathers, so you could complain about that? Or would you rather them drop out of school and be a non contributor to society, so you could complain about that. Take your pick, because in your lily white world people don't have sex and start families.
I was raised to get an education, get a job, get married, and then ( AND ONLY THEN) , start a family. That's the way it worked, and worked well, in my "lily white world."
Or maybe you just want to complain about my "lily white world." Your world must be a dark place in which to live, if you are that bitter.

Forgive my ignorance but what have players been doing for the past few decades? Why is this an issue now?

In my opinion, Napier's comments seem a little dramatic. You can't eat at night? You have free food, tuition, books, board, and you can't eat at night? That's the problem that is big enough to bring in talks of a union? Ok

I think we can all agree that times have changed, and not necessarily for the better.

I look at it like this. I love my University, and I support my team. Most of these young men and women could have gone to any University in the county to play sports, but they chose to represent my University and my state. If they are generating millions upon millions of dollars for the SEC, the NCAA, and the University, they at least should be given enough of a stipend that they don't have to resort to illegal activity to have pocket change. If they have a family, they should get a little more.

We go to the games, buy merchandise, and buy jerseys, why shouldn't all of the kids be compensated. The coaches are paid millions of dollars whether they win or lose. If they lose, they are fired and still paid millions.

I was raised to get an education, get a job, get married, and then ( AND ONLY THEN) , start a family. That's the way it worked, and worked well, in my "lily white world."
Or maybe you just want to complain about my "lily white world." Your world must be a dark place in which to live, if you are that bitter.

I am not bitter at all, but many people don't do things in the order that you did things. Does that make the way they did things wrong? Nope. Many different people take different destinations to get to the same place.

For you to be judgmental of people that don't live in your "lily white" world, or take the same route that you took, makes you a very close-minded individual. You would be the same type of individual that would blow their brains out at the first sign of distress.

I don't know if you noticed, but there are many people that did things "your" way and things still did not work out. I wish everyone lived in that lily white bubble of yours.

I'm not for the schools paying players per se, but I have no problem with letting the players retain an agent and allowing them to market their own name and likeness.

most of these guys complaints is not being able to eat late at night and scholarships not covering all school expenses. fix that and leave the rest alone

Bingo. The university feeds,clothes and educates the athletes. I know the schools make bank but the players should do well also if they get drafted or use their degree for a good job.

The problem is that you're assuming that it's the school's money to GIVE away as opposed to money that's OWED because it's made on the backs of the players to begin with.

Dear Confucius: A solution can only be made if everyone agrees that kids need money and stop focusing on the moral issues

I am not bitter at all, but many people don't do things in the order that you did things. Does that make the way they did things wrong? Nope. Many different people take different destinations to get to the same place.

For you to be judgmental of people that don't live in your "lily white" world, or take the same route that you took, makes you a very close-minded individual. You would be the same type of individual that would blow their brains out at the first sign of distress.

I don't know if you noticed, but there are many people that did things "your" way and things still did not work out. I wish everyone lived in that lily white bubble of yours.
I am glad there are enough of us in our "lily white bubble" who are able to give enough to take care of those who make poor decisions.

For such an open minded individual, your statement about blowing brains out show a disturbing lack of understanding and compassion toward the individual who would contemplate such an act. I pity someone with your outlook on life, and your contempt for the mentally ill.

In your world of anything goes and "if it feels good, do it," the individual may be temporarily satisfied, but society suffers. Take a look around, and see the direction of our country. If you are happy with it, you aren't old enough to know the difference.

Edit: I just looked up your public profile, and like I figured, you aren't old enough.

Last edited:
Schools shouldnt have to pay, but they shouldnt stop them from making money on the side. If Johnny Manziel wants to sell his autographs, and someone wants to buy them, who the heck cares? let the kid make some money.

VN Store

Back