Give me your best solution

I am glad there are enough of us in our "lily white bubble" who are able to give enough to take care of those who make poor decisions.

For such an open minded individual, your statement about blowing brains out show a disturbing lack of understanding and compassion toward the individual who would contemplate such an act. I pity someone with your outlook on life, and your contempt for the mentally ill.

In your world of anything goes and "if it feels good, do it," the individual may be temporarily satisfied, but society suffers. Take a look around, and see the direction of our country. If you are happy with it, you aren't old enough to know the difference.

Edit: I just looked up your public profile, and like I figured, you aren't old enough.

Age does not make a man wise nor does it make him a fool. Only his actions determine that.
Yes society is degrading, but how is providing extra support to college kids, whether they have a family or not, further corrupting society?

I've got news for you buddy, the good old days wasn't that good for everybody.

Reactions: 1 person
Somebody hold a gun to their heads and make them start a family while still in college?

No but how does that change my argument? Take the family part out of the equation. When I was in college I still liked to go out and take girls out to a restaurant. Let me guess a free education is payment enough for a player/team that makes a school millions of dollars. Thats like working for a company and making them millions while making 2 dollars an hour. At some point your gonna want to negotiate a raise.

The NCAA & FCS schools are unpaid minor leagues for the NFL. Just take a look at MLB with their farm systems developing talent and all the money paid out and the owners still making large sums of money. Bring that over into the NFL which contributes zip to NCAA/FCS football schools, yet front and make money as basically theri minor leagues. There is enough money being made that the student athletes should share in some of it, minus their cost of education. They need to quit being treated as slave labor and allowed to live with some dignity, guaranteed schollys, no or limited grey shirts like Bammer is the King of, and a basic stipend paid by the NCAA to all student athletes, not the schools paying out a dime. The NCAA should be a complete nonprofit and should be broke at the end of every year with all funds paid out biased toward student athletes with a pittance going to administer the NCAA.

No but how does that change my argument? Take the family part out of the equation. When I was in college I still liked to go out and take girls out to a restaurant. Let me guess a free education is payment enough for a player/team that makes a school millions of dollars. Thats like working for a company and making them millions while making 2 dollars an hour. At some point your gonna want to negotiate a raise.
I fail to see the correlation between the amount of money a company makes, and how much an employee makes. Just because you make money for the company doesn't entitle you to anything beyond the pay for your skill level.

A company makes what it makes, in great part due to supply and demand of its products or services, and its ability to control costs. An individual makes what he makes based on supply and demand of his labor skills.

Anybody putting a gun to the heads of athletes, and making them play sports?

I fail to see the correlation between the amount of money a company makes, and how much an employee makes. Just because you make money for the company doesn't entitle you to anything beyond the pay for your skill level.

A company makes what it makes, in great part due to supply and demand of its products or services, and its ability to control costs. An individual makes what he makes based on supply and demand of his labor skills.

Anybody putting a gun to the heads of athletes, and making them play sports?

Your right. Maybe once they unionize they should take their "skill level" and tell the schools to shove it for one season and see how fast they start getting paid. They are a direct correlation to the school making money. I just feel like these guys could use a little extra money that they can freely spend. College sports are a full time job with plenty of overtime.

Your right. Maybe once they unionize they should take their "skill level" and tell the schools to shove it for one season and see how fast they start getting paid. They are a direct correlation to the school making money. I just feel like these guys could use a little extra money that they can freely spend. College sports are a full time job with plenty of overtime.
Apparently a college degree which costs the rest of us tens of thousands isn't enough. I hope they go on strike. Who cares? I have a life outside of athlete worship.

Apparently a college degree which costs the rest of us tens of thousands isn't enough. I hope they go on strike. Who cares? I have a life outside of athlete worship.

People enjoy watching, and cheering for, amateur athletes.

People enjoy cheering for an entity they care about (i.e. a college or university).

The fact you could not care less about either is irrelevant, imo.

People enjoy watching, and cheering for, amateur athletes.

People enjoy cheering for an entity they care about (i.e. a college or university).

The fact you could not care less about either is irrelevant, imo.
I was responding to someone else, not you. I think that a moderator piling on should draw a 15 yard penalty.

I was responding to someone else, not you. I think that a moderator piling on should draw a 15 yard penalty.

You were responding to someone in an open forum. That's like screaming your thoughts in the middle of a hardware store. Anybody is liable to respond to you.

Would you rather them be absentee fathers, so you could complain about that? Or would you rather them drop out of school and be a non contributor to society, so you could complain about that. Take your pick, because in your lily white world people don't have sex and start families.

As I have said student loans can cover many expenses. So dropping out of school means no good job? That's BS. One of my best friends works for a power company and makes around 70k a year. He never spent a day in college. Plenty of blue collar jobs pay well. Why can't these athletes just be careful when having sex? Condoms and birth control are free. It's a persons choice to start a family.

Way too many excuses for these guys. Free education, room, board, meal plan, pell grants, state grants and student loans should be plenty enough.

As I have said student loans can cover many expenses. So dropping out of school means no good job? That's BS. One of my best friends works for a power company and makes around 70k a year. He never spent a day in college. Plenty of blue collar jobs pay well. Why can't these athletes just be careful when having sex? Condoms and birth control are free. It's a persons choice to start a family.

Way too many excuses for these guys. Free education, room, board, meal plan, pell grants, state grants and student loans should be plenty enough.
You are treading on thin ice here.

It isn't a popular position to take on here.

You're right but I don't care. Athletes are not special people. They are no better than any other student on a college campus and do not deserve anymore. People want to make a big deal about a kid not being able to eat whatever they want and buy things. Cry me a river.

You're right but I don't care. Athletes are not special people. They are no better than any other student on a college campus and do not deserve anymore. People want to make a big deal about a kid not being able to eat whatever they want and buy things. Cry me a river.

Call me the next time the school makes a royalty off a psychology major's jersey or sells the rights to televise a biology lab.

Call me when an athlete cannot get a pell grant and student loans.

The ability to secure grants and loans is irrelevant. What we're talking about here is if there's a practical way to compensate athletes who are generating revenue for their school.

The ability to secure grants and loans is irrelevant. What we're talking about here is if there's a practical way to compensate athletes who are generating revenue for their school.

When it comes to "compensation" for student-athletes, the following data (MORRIS: No need to pay college athletes | Ron Morris | The State) indicate that the ability to secure Pell Grants most definitely is germane:

"Qualified athletes receive up to $5,645 per year [in Pell Grants], money that is deposited in their bank account by the federal government. The money can be spent any way an athlete chooses. Some send a bulk of the money home for family needs. Others use it to make monthly car payments. Still others use it for spending money. . . . The neediest athletes are taken care of through Pell Grants and do not need the extra “stipend” that many coaches have proposed.

Pell Grants are distributed based on the annual income of an athlete’s family. The lower the income, the higher the grant. USC athletes collected $202,261 in Pell Grant money during the 2009-10 school year, $193,450 in 2010-11 and $262,069 in 2011-12. At Clemson, the average Pell Grant given to an athlete was $2,331 in 2009, $2,365 in 2010 and $2,374 in 2011. Football and men’s basketball accounted for 51 percent of the Pell Grant recipients in 2009 at Clemson, 54 percent in 2010 and 53 percent in 2011."

As this columnist points out, "most fans of college sports do not know that the NCAA [also] allows for additional help to athletes through its Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, which is “intended to provide direct benefits to student-athletes or their families as determined by conference offices.” The SEC distributed an average of $342,197 to each SEC school through the fund in 2012-13, up 16 percent from the previous year, according to a report on al.com that was based on the conference’s federal tax return. Some of those benefits include coverage of non-athletics related health expenses not covered by an athlete’s insurance plan (dental or eye glasses, for example), travel expenses for an athlete to attend funerals or family emergencies, and a $200 annual clothing allowance."

With respect to our beloved University of Tennessee, 100 out of 353 athletes on partial or full scholarships, as of 2002, received Pell Grants totaling $271,277 (Pell Grants given to all qualifiers regardless of athletic scholarship | TheCabin.net). That amount almost certainly has increased significantly in the intervening years.

most of these guys complaints is not being able to eat late at night and scholarships not covering all school expenses. fix that and leave the rest alone
Medical insurance? I always thought they had that if injured during school or activities.

I do not see a way to do it that's fair across the board. So therefore don't pay them.

Everyone acts like a free education is the only thing these athletes get.. that is simply untrue.

The contacts alone you get can be worth more then any check we could give them.

Let's say I am a football player.. even if I personally am not good enough to make it to the NFL. Chances are I am going to be pretty good friends with someone who does. That person can open quite a few doors for me in my lifetime.. say the team they play for needs some scouts, or front office people.. They can put in a word and open that door to possibly get me that job. Maybe they sign a deal with nike or under armor or gatorade etc...

They can easily be like hey along with the money your going to pay me I have a friend in need of a good job..etc this can and does happen everyday.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that should be enough, But one thing I have learned the hard way in life is it is not what you know, but who you know.

And it does not stop at the players.. Boosters etc give former players wicked jobs after graduation everyday.

Players should be getting more money then what they do now for sure.. but to base it off jersey sales or anything even resembling that is going to give more to the people who do not really need it and the average Student athlete is going to be in the same situation that they are now.. left with nothing.

Because chances are if your jersey or whatever sells well enough for that player to make a good amount.. it is because they are on their way to the NFL anyway. And it will just pad the pocket of someone about to sign a million dollar contract anyway.

They just need to be paid what they could make at a normal job. That way there is enough to go around so every athlete in every sport can live decently while in college with enough money to buy a car, get an apartment off campus if they want.. and feed and cloth themselves.

It is the only fair way to do it that I can see.

And then to compensate the players that make more money for the school then a normal athlete. Simple way to solve that is players should not be restricted from making money off of themselves by way of autographs.. endorsements.. commercials.. appearance fees.. etc

To try and tell someone they cant profit off of themselves is close to criminal in my book.

I do not see what could be more fair for all involved then that. A normal paycheck + if you have the ability to make money off of your own name then do it.

I do not see a way to do it that's fair across the board. So therefore don't pay them.

That depends on your definition of "fair". If by "fair" you mean all the athletes receiving an equal share then yes, that is very difficult. On the other hand if by "fair" you mean athletes receiving compensation based on the amount of revenue they generate, that's pretty easy. Let them make money off their name and likeness independently and the university can just keep doing what it's doing with scholarships.

Also, scholarship athletes may get the same access to aid and loans as other students but they are not allowed to seek gainful employment while in college. I don't know about you but that was where my spending money came from when I was in college...I had a job. Since they don't really have time to have a job between class, studies, the rigorous demands of a college level S&C program, and practice, I don't really see a solution to that. Even if they were allowed to get a job they wouldn't have time. Their work load is higher than an average college student.

For those who have aspirations of playing professionally they have not option but to go to college so they can get drafted. Don't give me "they can go to the arena league". Players there very rarely make it to the NFL. The schools, NCAA, and many others are making a ton of money of of these kids and they deserve a piece of the pie. Letting them have and agent to manage their likeness, name, and memorabilia sales is a perfectly reasonable option. The university doesn't have to change anything. And, a players compensation from it will be "fair" to the amount of revenue he is generating. Just let the market sort it out.

The only issues I have is where does it stop and these guys are given much more than just an education etc.. They are given life skills that without the schools providing would alter the players life.

Put a value on every part of it not just school n room n board. Then see if they need more.

Also some make stupid decisions like have kids live off campus etc.. If you cant afford these things then make a different decision.

Goes back to I'm special n I'm owed something n that's not true.

this is true,if they do such as fade was saying and the players get a %,it should go to a general fund and every athlete get paid the same,no matter as to position or sport

of course this will hurt the smaller schools that don't generate the money as the bigger schools do,I would think that a lot of the smaller sports will be discarded since they aren't money makers

since they are getting paid,shouldn't they be paying on there tuition and paying taxes on there income ? like everybody else does

a big can of worms is about to be opened,like others have said,once the money starts flowing,who knows what kind of abuses will start to happen and there will have to be money set aside for somebody to some way to try to monitor it too,we know that the NCAA and the schools there self's can't be trusted with money

VN Store

Back