Georgia = Biggest threat going forward

De La Cloobs

The Vol is strong in this one.
Georgia has been good the past few years but their future is incredibly bright. Not only is it arguably the easiest recruiting hotbed with all the talent coming out of that state, but I believe Kirby smart is going to bring them a natty in the next few years. It takes an idiot as a coach to not be dominant at UGA. With all the talent at your fingertips there is absolutely no excuse to not be in the playoffs every year. I am making a bold prediction that they beat Bama this year and it will ignite the slow demise of Alabama as top dog in the SEC.

In my opinion, bama has had undeserved wins against UGA. I think Georgia dominated every game against Saban the past two years even if the scoreboard showed otherwise.

You may be thinking of the game of the infamous failed fake punt that Smart called that lost them the game... I don’t believe Smart made that call, neither do many UGA fans. It was an on the field call that Justin Fields made at the line despite what Kirby wanted from the sideline before the snap.

Fromm had clearly won the starting position and it was no secret that Fields was unhappy with his starting time and wasn’t going to win the position over Fromm. He took his chance and screwed up and Smart took the fall for the team. Fields was gone not long after. I’ve had a few Georgia fans in the know tell me that’s what happened.

Seems far fetched but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Who is more likely to make that stupid of a decision with a fake punt from the middle of the field, Smart or Fields?

Smart is still coming into his own and I don’t doubt Georgia will be over Bama and Clemson within two years.

Kirby has been part of several last minute choke jobs (UT, Bama x2, GT, Vandy) and at least 1 faceplant a year against an inferior team (LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, Auburn). You can have all the talent but until UGA avoids those meltdowns, they will still be UGA...

UGA has a good shot to win it all in 2019. Also in 2020 if Fromm doesn’t go pro. They are loaded top to bottom. Rival fans want to project their insecurities onto Smart, but he’ll eventually get it done there and we’ll still be on the outside looking in. Make peace with it now.

I am predicting this is the year Kirby Smart takes a step forward in his coaching ability and wipes the floor with Bama. It will also be the beginning of the end for Bama as top dog. UGA also ends up beating Clemson.

Reactions: RollerVol
UGA has a good shot to win it all in 2019. Also in 2020 if Fromm doesn’t go pro. They are loaded top to bottom. Rival fans want to project their insecurities onto Smart, but he’ll eventually get it done there and we’ll still be on the outside looking in. Make peace with it now.
They have talent to knock on the door, for sure, but looking back on talented Vol teams like 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, or 2001, etc...those teams had same type talent as UGA, but some of them found ways to under perform, especially 2001 because they didn't have the edge...hoping that's the case w/ UGA.

When the talent void swings back to the east w/ UF and UT, including UGA maintaining, it's gonna make life tough for the Auburn's, LSU's and TaM's of the world who can't break thru the Bama wall, and coaches gonna be fired...then the churning truly begins. Jimbo, Coach O and Gus need to figure out how to beat Bama or their clock is ticking w/ SEC E getting better in a few years, and cross division losses coming...just my opinion.

I am predicting this is the year Kirby Smart takes a step forward in his coaching ability and wipes the floor with Bama. It will also be the beginning of the end for Bama as top dog. UGA also ends up beating Clemson.
Nah, I think there's a better chance that UGA has 2-3 SEC losses than them beating Bama.

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
I admittingly dont follow Georgia close enough to know Kirby well, but from a distance he seems like a good recruiter, good motivator, and good defensive mind. I'll be interested in seeing how he does with a new Offensive and Defensive Cooridinator in play this year. I don't think he managed the QB room well with both Fields and Eason having left.

With us now having Chaney and Ansley, we may have the better staff. We have to close the gap though and compete. If we can field similar talent, I wouldn't be surprised to see our coaching staff outduel Georigia;s

They have talent to knock on the door, for sure, but looking back on talented Vol teams like 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, or 2001, etc...those teams had same type talent as UGA, but some of them found ways to under perform, especially 2001 because they didn't have the edge...hoping that's the case w/ UGA.

Imagine if the playoff system were in place in the 90s. We would have likely won multiple titles. In the modern era you can trip up during the season and still make the playoffs and talent can carry you to the end. The new format is a little more forgiving to the teams that lose a regular season game. They might even lose to Bama in the SECC and still make the playoff.

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
I despise uga, because of the fans (mostly), and all the endless pomp and hype that program seems to attract. The most obnoxious and annoying fans in college football. I can’t stand bama, but that soul crushing TD two years ago was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

Even if they do win it all, I don’t care and do not in any way envy them. They can take that ridiculous G they stole from Green Bay, that mascot they share with half the high schools in the country, that drunken mush-mouth they revere as their ‘voice’ and shove it all up their $&&#@.

There. And yes, I do feel better. Thanks for asking!! 😎😎😎

Imagine if the playoff system were in place in the 90s. We would have likely won multiple titles. In the modern era you can trip up during the season and still make the playoffs and talent can carry you to the end. The new format is a little more forgiving to the teams that lose a regular season game. They might even lose to Bama in the SECC and still make the playoff.

No.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and 08Vol

Well, 1997, 1999, and 2001 aren’t arguable.

Tennessee finished outside the top 4 in the final poll before bowl games in 1999 and 2001.

Tennessee played Nebraska in 1997.

And if you thought 1997 and 1999 nebraska were good, you didn’t have to deal with 1995 Nebraska.

So, yeah, I’ll stick with my statement

Reactions: 08Vol
1995. Nebraska. No
1997. See 1995.
1999. Wouldn’t have qualified for the playoff.
2001. Wouldn’t have qualified for the playoff.

1996. No.
I didn't "like" this because it's depressing, but it's 100% accurate; other than the multiple-miracle '98 team, no Vols team would have been considered for a four-team final in any other year since 1990. Ga seems to be in the running more often than not, and we all know what Spurrier and Meyer did at Fla. TN not in the same neighborhood of success in that period. Would the multiple-miracle team have even been a one seed?

I didn't "like" this because it's depressing, but it's 100% accurate; other than the multiple-miracle '98 team, no Vols team would have been considered for a four-team final in any other year since 1990. Ga seems to be in the running more often than not, and we all know what Spurrier and Meyer did at Fla. TN not in the same neighborhood of success in that period. Would the multiple-miracle team have even been a one seed?

Yes, they would have.

95 would have qualified for a playoff. They just would have had to have beaten Florida and Nebraska.

96 and 97 would have qualified too

But, I don’t think they win for reasons mentioned

Georgia has a lot to prove to me before I make the prediction of them beating Alabama this year. I believe Georgia wins the east and is 11-1 going in to the SEC championship, but beating Bama is another thing and Georgia can not expect to lose their way into the playoffs

Alabama at this time has the edge at: receivers, defensive line and linebackers. Georgia only has a true edge at the defensive secondary and all other units could go in either direction but will be close. GA has to bridge the gap on receivers, defensive line and linebackers. GA has the opportunity to do that this season and I believe they will, but I have to see that development before I believe it will take place.

Smart is in his 4th season and the offense will be firing on all cylinders, but the defense wasnt recruited as elite in the beginning and next season may be the first time that the defense is really what it is meant to be with smarts recruits

GA and Bama are also in similar situations in that both teams have new offensive and defensive coordinators. Both are unproven at their respective programs and in my opinion that is the only area that could cause the biggest separation, but its outcome is to be seen

GA will remain a threat as long as they continue to recruit the way that they have and continue to have elite players on the offensive line.

In regards to asking when GA has ever had a dominant coach..... how many programs can say that their coach in the 2nd and 3rd season have a combined record of 24-5

Coaches that have won national championship in the playoff era, their records in year 2-3 combined, and the year they won a NC
Urban: 19-5, NC in year 5 has a HC
Jimbo: 21-6, NC in year 4 has a HC
Saban: 12-11, NC in year 10
Dabo: 14-12, NC in year 9

Downplaying what Kirby has accomplished in 3 years in comparison to what is normal would be crazy. Undefeated in the east in his 2nd and 3rd season and an SEC championship in year 2 in an accomplishment

I believe Pruitt can do similar, but he did not inherit what Smart did and it will take him more of a Dabo type of timeline to build his program. Although I believe TN gets 9 wins this season

So, to sum up:

An UGA fan offers false praise to bama, but believes uga will ‘bridge the gap’ in their only areas of weakness and while he doubts they will beat bama, he is sure they will.

Smart, like every uga coach ever, is dominant. I just wonder if uga fans get goosebumps in his presence like they used to describe Richt in the early days. Smart is better than Dabo, Saban, Jimbo, and Meyer.

A condescending backhanded compliment to Tennessee, and he closes the post.

Same stuff. Different fan.

VN Store

Back