Georgia = Biggest threat going forward

1995. Nebraska. No
1997. See 1995.
1999. Wouldn’t have qualified for the playoff.
2001. Wouldn’t have qualified for the playoff.

1996. No.

Kudos for the reply (or kadoos as Fulmer says). Agree somewhat disagree somewhat, but glad you specified.

This is why Florida fans are lights years better than UGA fans. They actually reply in a straightforward manner w/o the chip on the shoulder passive aggressive BS UGA fans resort to.

So, to sum up:

An UGA fan offers false praise to bama, but believes uga will ‘bridge the gap’ in their only areas of weakness and while he doubts they will beat bama, he is sure they will.

Smart, like every uga coach ever, is dominant. I just wonder if uga fans get goosebumps in his presence like they used to describe Richt in the early days. Smart is better than Dabo, Saban, Jimbo, and Meyer.

A condescending backhanded compliment to Tennessee, and he closes the post.

Same stuff. Different fan.

They’re amazing, best program ever. It’s not like they had the same number of losses as lowly Florida and Kentucky last year.

So, to sum up:

An UGA fan offers false praise to bama, but believes uga will ‘bridge the gap’ in their only areas of weakness and while he doubts they will beat bama, he is sure they will.

Smart, like every uga coach ever, is dominant. I just wonder if uga fans get goosebumps in his presence like they used to describe Richt in the early days. Smart is better than Dabo, Saban, Jimbo, and Meyer.

A condescending backhanded compliment to Tennessee, and he closes the post.

Same stuff. Different fan.

To tell the truth, I expect a similar season out of GA as last season. 11-1 in the regular season, falling short to bama in the SECCG and going to a new years bowl, I will predict a win in this bowl however to finish the season at 12-2

I also never said that Smart was better than Dabo, Saban, Jimbo or Meyer. Smart still has a lot to prove. However, Smart is on a good track to prove those things at this time being that he only has 3 seasons of head coaching experience. Could Smart take a back step like Richt did? sure.

Will I be disappointed in finishing 12-2? no

Reactions: RollerVol
They’re amazing, best program ever. It’s not like they had the same number of losses as lowly Florida and Kentucky last year.

far from saying they are "the best program ever." However, it is hard to argue that Georgia is not a top 5-10 program at this given time in the country. That can change year by year of course, but I do not foresee that changing for the next 2 seasons. Will Georgia win a national championship in the next 2 seasons? it's possible, but the odds say no at this time

Yes, they would have.

95 would have qualified for a playoff. They just would have had to have beaten Florida and Nebraska.

96 and 97 would have qualified too

But, I don’t think they win for reasons mentioned
I agree that we probably get in 95. I also think we get in as a 1 loss SEC champ in 97. I don't see it in 96 with 2 losses, especially with one of those losses to Memphis State.

Georgia has been good the past few years but their future is incredibly bright. Not only is it arguably the easiest recruiting hotbed with all the talent coming out of that state, but I believe Kirby smart is going to bring them a natty in the next few years. It takes an idiot as a coach to not be dominant at UGA. With all the talent at your fingertips there is absolutely no excuse to not be in the playoffs every year. I am making a bold prediction that they beat Bama this year and it will ignite the slow demise of Alabama as top dog in the SEC.

In my opinion, bama has had undeserved wins against UGA. I think Georgia dominated every game against Saban the past two years even if the scoreboard showed otherwise.

You may be thinking of the game of the infamous failed fake punt that Smart called that lost them the game... I don’t believe Smart made that call, neither do many UGA fans. It was an on the field call that Justin Fields made at the line despite what Kirby wanted from the sideline before the snap.

Fromm had clearly won the starting position and it was no secret that Fields was unhappy with his starting time and wasn’t going to win the position over Fromm. He took his chance and screwed up and Smart took the fall for the team. Fields was gone not long after. I’ve had a few Georgia fans in the know tell me that’s what happened.

Seems far fetched but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Who is more likely to make that stupid of a decision with a fake punt from the middle of the field, Smart or Fields?

Smart is still coming into his own and I don’t doubt Georgia will be over Bama and Clemson within two years.
I think that theory has to be incorrect. Smart should’ve/would’ve known Fields was getting the ball simply due to the fact he was even on the field for a punt to begin with. I can see them using him as a decoy to draw attention, but on a punt? Idk. Hard to think of the benefit of a decoy in punt formation from where he lined up. Maybe a fake punt/pass but he ran as if that was the call. Hard to speculate because the whole thing was just weird.

Reactions: 08Vol and Teeman
Well, 1997, 1999, and 2001 aren’t arguable.

Tennessee finished outside the top 4 in the final poll before bowl games in 1999 and 2001.

Tennessee played Nebraska in 1997.

And if you thought 1997 and 1999 nebraska were good, you didn’t have to deal with 1995 Nebraska.

So, yeah, I’ll stick with my statement

First off, I only truly care about qualifying. 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 all qualify imo. 1990 and 2001 should’ve qualified, but they shat the bed in inexcusable games, whereas I think that 1996 and 1999 don’t lose to Memphis and Arkansas, respectively, if a playoff exists. They clearly didn’t perform with the same intensity once they lost to Florida, but I think they would’ve if their title hopes were still alive.

Obviously, 1998 wins the playoff. We were better than Kansas State, Ohio State and FSU by year’s end.

1995: Could’ve beat Florida on a neutral field, not Nebraska.

1996: Could’ve beat FSU, not Florida.

1997: Could’ve beat Michigan, but not Nebraska.

1999: This one is the most interesting to me. Many Tennessee fans consider this team our most talented team of the 90’s. We play FSU round 1 as the 4-seed, most likely. I think this is our best shot at a title. In this hypothetical, I think if we do beat FSU, we could’ve won it all imo. Which would’ve been possible imo. We absolutely owned Peter Warrick in that 1998 title game. We’d then play the winner of VT and Nebraska. If it’s VT, I think we’d win.

So yes, I agree that we probably still don’t win another title in a playoff system, but do not underestimate that 1999 team. They could’ve played with anyone and if they got a rematch vs FSU, I think they could’ve risen to the occasion. But ultimately, just making the playoffs is a huge honor, and I think UT would’ve made 5 straight in the 90’s.

As for Florida, they probably make it in 1994, 1995, 1996, 2006, 2008 and 2009. 1994 and 2009 are the only ones in question, the other 4 they definitely make it.

Last edited:
Yes, they would have.

95 would have qualified for a playoff. They just would have had to have beaten Florida and Nebraska.

96 and 97 would have qualified too

But, I don’t think they win for reasons mentioned

That’s essentially my point. In those years UT would have qualified and making the cut is half the battle. Upsets occur in college football so if you’re in the mix, even at the highest level, you have a shot.

Today, UGA is in the mix consistently. There were arguments to put them in the playoff in 2018 after losing the SECC. If the rest of the country wasn’t so sick of the SEC they probably would have qualified again.

On the other hand, if for some reason Smart cannot win it in 2019 or 2020 then I will start to doubt. With all that talent it will be underachieving for them to miss out on a title.

First off, I only truly care about qualifying. 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 all qualify imo. 1990 and 2001 should’ve qualified, but they shat the bed in inexcusable games, whereas I think that 1996 and 1999 don’t lose to Memphis and Arkansas, respectively, if a playoff exists. They clearly didn’t perform with the same intensity once they lost to Florida, but I think they would’ve if their title hopes were still alive.

Obviously, 1998 wins the playoff. We were better than Kansas State, Ohio State and FSU by year’s end.

1995: Could’ve beat Florida on a neutral field, not Nebraska.

1996: Could’ve beat FSU, not Florida.

1997: Could’ve beat Michigan, but not Nebraska.

1999: This one is the most interesting to me. Many Tennessee fans consider this team our most talented team of the 90’s. We play FSU round 1 as the 4-seed, most likely. I think this is our best shot at a title. In this hypothetical, I think if we do beat FSU, we could’ve won it all imo. Which would’ve been possible imo. We absolutely owned Peter Warrick in that 1998 title game. We’d then play the winner of VT and Nebraska. If it’s VT, I think we’d win.

So yes, I agree that we probably still don’t win another title in a playoff system, but do not underestimate that 1999 team. They could’ve played with anyone and if they got a rematch vs FSU, I think they could’ve risen to the occasion. But ultimately, just making the playoffs is a huge honor, and I think UT would’ve made 5 straight in the 90’s.

As for Florida, they probably make it in 1994, 1995, 1996, 2006, 2008 and 2009. 1994 and 2009 are the only ones in question, the other 4 they definitely make it.

Qualifying is different than winning it all. Someone mentioned winning it all.

Some seasons a 4 team playoff might be a year where it’s up for grabs. But, some years are like these last few where it’s Alabama and Clemson and the semifinal is a waste of time.

Some of those years in the 90’s, Nebraska, FSU or whoever were on a different level, IMO and other schools winning a title weren’t going to happen even if they were good.

I don’t think Florida would have won a title in any year outside of 1996 in a playoff format either

This is Georgia's year for sure, but if we are talking biggest threat going forward, I wouldn't count Florida out.

You may be thinking of the game of the infamous failed fake punt that Smart called that lost them the game... I don’t believe Smart made that call, neither do many UGA fans. It was an on the field call that Justin Fields made at the line despite what Kirby wanted from the sideline before the snap.

So, Smart added Fields to the punt formation for no particular reason? Right...

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, Tennessee and Florida were in the same position as Alabama and Georgia are today. All four have lost games they should have won and Alabama and Georgia will continue to do so. Clemson has been in the the same position for the last 3-4 years. There are so many very good high school players coming out of high school that I don't see 1 or 2 teams dominating college football and producing long winning streaks like Oklahoma did back in the 50s. The best teams will be those who have the best recruiters coupled with have the best xs and os coaches. I really think that with the resources Fulmer is making available, Tennssee will be among the best teams in the Nation when we again have the talent that Clmson, Alabama, and Georgia now have. It still gets back to controlling the offensive and defensive lines. We are not there yet, but we are making progress. Our Oline will be in very good shape by next year as well the DB and LB positions. I believe the QB position will be very good for the next few years. I think we need help at the Dline position and need to improve speed at the RB and WR positions. I expect Tennessee to be one of the best in another 2-3 years and we will win the big ones within the next 5 years. It takes time to build quality depth at all positions and we are finally on that road. Winning 8 games this year will only speed up the process. I am ready to ride that train again.

Last edited:
From 1995 to 2001 (7 seasons), UT lost 13 games. 7 were to teams as good or better (UF 95-97, Neb 97, 99, UGA 00, KSU 00). 5 were games we blew late (Memphis 96, Ark 99, LSU 00, UF 00 (JABAR GAFFNEY DID NOT CATCH THE BALL), and UGA 01. Only 1 was a faceplant against an inferior team (LSU 01)

UGA has lost 10 games in the past 3 years. 5 were games blown late (UT 16, Vandy 16, GT 16, Bama 17, Bama 18). 4 were faceplants against inferior teams (Ole Miss 16, Auburn 17, LSU 18, Texas 18). Only once did they lose to a team better than them in a non choke job/faceplant fashion (UF 16).

Apparently Smart put Fields in for a few reasons, one to draw attention and the other for a possible fake if it looked right. It didn't, and Fields took his shot anyway. I am not giving the story justice or adequate details but that is what has been passed down the line. Given what I know about both Smart and Fields, the story doesn't surprise me.

Georgia has been good the past few years but their future is incredibly bright. Not only is it arguably the easiest recruiting hotbed with all the talent coming out of that state, but I believe Kirby smart is going to bring them a natty in the next few years. It takes an idiot as a coach to not be dominant at UGA. With all the talent at your fingertips there is absolutely no excuse to not be in the playoffs every year. I am making a bold prediction that they beat Bama this year and it will ignite the slow demise of Alabama as top dog in the SEC.

In my opinion, bama has had undeserved wins against UGA. I think Georgia dominated every game against Saban the past two years even if the scoreboard showed otherwise.

Fromm had clearly won the starting position and it was no secret that Fields was unhappy with his starting time and wasn’t going to win the position over Fromm. He took his chance and screwed up and Smart took the fall for the team. Fields was gone not long after. I’ve had a few Georgia fans in the know tell me that’s what happened.

Seems far fetched but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Who is more likely to make that stupid of a decision with a fake punt from the middle of the field, Smart or Fields?

Smart is still coming into his own and I don’t doubt Georgia will be over Bama and Clemson within two years.
That was Kirby's call....plain and simple

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Apparently Smart put Fields in for a few reasons, one to draw attention and the other for a possible fake if it looked right. It didn't, and Fields took his shot anyway. I am not giving the story justice or adequate details but that is what has been passed down the line. Given what I know about both Smart and Fields, the story doesn't surprise me.

BS. No audible was called on that play. Perhaps the plan was to audible into a punt if Bama was in punt safe, but if so, no one on the field seems to think about it. Perhaps it was supposed to be a silent audible based on the formation, but if so, Fields wasn't the only one who didn't audible.

This is a bunch of UGA fans making excuses for idiocy.

Reactions: VolInNW
UGA is short-handed and inexperienced across the board at the wide-receiver position at present. They recruited well but will these freshmen contribute immediately? The defensive coordinators in the SEC and at least ND, if not others will focus on shutting down UGA's run game forcing them into passing situations. UF, with Grantham calling the defense is gonna be tough. I just can't see these new receivers being immediate impact players which will lead to close games if not losses. Fromm is just half the equation in this case.

Not really at a point of being concerned about UGA and Bama. More focused on the likes of BYU, Vandy, USC and UK.

So, Smart added Fields to the punt formation for no particular reason? Right...

The play was an RPO (Run Punt Option). Fields was in there to run, if the defensive set up made it a high probability of success. Fields took the opportunity to be a star. It was his call at the line of scrimmage. He made a terrible decision just like he did on many other occasions. This is why he was never able to unseat Fromm. Kirby did make a mistake though, he trusted Fields to make the right call.

The play was an RPO (Run Punt Option). Fields was in there to run, if the defensive set up made it a high probability of success. Fields took the opportunity to be a star. It was his call at the line of scrimmage. He made a terrible decision just like he did on many other occasions. This is why he was never able to unseat Fromm. Kirby did make a mistake though, he trusted Fields to make the right call.

When he didn't audible out of the fake, why didn't Kirby take a timeout? The ball was snapped with 9 on the play clock, and Bama had already shown that they'd read play. How long was Kirby going to wait on his true freshman backup QB to make the right decision?

There is no way to give Smart a pass on the play.

VN Store

Back