Gave up 28 in 4th quarter

I agree that after the pick the adrenaline stopped and complete exhaustion set in.

My concern is that the time of possession difference will not change due to this type of scheme so unless we get amazing depth that is equal across all strings this may not change in the future.
The Vols couldn’t convert on 3rd down all night long. They need Evans healthy because the drop off is significant.

Reactions: NEO and Redleg68
Last year at home with more depth across the board we were down 14-3 after 1, 21-3 midway through the 2nd, 35-10 30 seconds into the 3rd, 42-10 at the start of the 4th.

This year in Tuscaloosa we were up 14-7 after one, tied at 14 midway through 2, down 21-17 midway through 3, down 24-17 to start the 4th, down 31-24 several minutes into the 4th.

The home fans were so silent that you could hear our fans singing Rocky Top as late as the 4th quarter. We lost and Alabama ran it up late because they needed style points and got short fields vs a tired defense. But we were way way more competitive this year vs last even after losing 30 players to the portal including almost every top recruit from the upper classmen ranks. Add to it the playing walk-on OL, having nothing at linebacker to spell anyone, and typical Alabama holding on all offensive plays because they know that 95 percent of them will be ignored and it was a miracle performance by the team.

What I really never get is that a certain group of posters talk about how Bama is going to kill us all season. Then when we are surprisingly competitive their narrative shifts to we should be playing even better than we are, as they rip every little thing Heupel calls. Later, when the game gets out of hand late, they act like they hadn't been saying Bama was going to murder us all season and demand to know why Bama did what they'd been predicting all along anyway.

100% spot on

Need a season or 2 of heavy recruiting of blue chips on the oline and depth on the defense. It's just where we are.
^^
Despite the late game piling on of points, this is the first year in a while (probably since Kiffin's team took Bama to the wire) that it feels as if we have a staff in place that can get this thing going. Just gotta put Garner to work now and find some studs up front on both sides, and at the tailback position. JMO, so TIFWIW. Go Vols!

Offensive play calling has to be better down the stretch to give the team better chance to win, stay in the game later pick up first downs.

How the hell do you give up 28 points in the last quarter? I did see some quit in the last half of the 4th...
1635083728557.gif
1635083751248.gif
1635083920111.gif
1635083942887.gif
1635083967264.gif

Offensive play calling has to be better down the stretch to give the team better chance to win, stay in the game later pick up first downs.

How the hell do you give up 28 points in the last quarter? I did see some quit in the last half of the 4th...
I remember when I was just learning about football too.
It’s either that or just a really bad take.

No depth and exhaustion. Not that hard to see. We gave it our all. Some things went our way. Some things did not. We just need more depth and higher caliber players but don’t think we aren’t raising some eyebrows this year with how heupel is turning TN around

We are going to be quiet underdogs for awhile and I’m good with that as long as we shock some teams

Stop making excuses
This must be the most uneducated post I've seen in a long time. If you can't recognize that lack of depth leads to exhaustion and a collapse late in the game, then you have obviously never played football at competitive level. It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

you must be some kind of idiot to think tn with 71 scholarship players - many all beat up and trying to defend 92 snaps (100- 7 days ago )from the top 4 team in america and critizie them in any way - you never played any football for sure!!!!!!!

Reactions: Rickyvol77

Jesus these posters 😂

We played tough for 3 quarters. This game clearly showed the talent and depth gap we have with the elite teams. We’ll see a repeat of this in 3 weeks against UGA, though their offense is not nearly as good as Bama.

Last year at home with more depth across the board we were down 14-3 after 1, 21-3 midway through the 2nd, 35-10 30 seconds into the 3rd, 42-10 at the start of the 4th.

This year in Tuscaloosa we were up 14-7 after one, tied at 14 midway through 2, down 21-17 midway through 3, down 24-17 to start the 4th, down 31-24 several minutes into the 4th.

The home fans were so silent that you could hear our fans singing Rocky Top as late as the 4th quarter. We lost and Alabama ran it up late because they needed style points and got short fields vs a tired defense. But we were way way more competitive this year vs last even after losing 30 players to the portal including almost every top recruit from the upper classmen ranks. Add to it the playing walk-on OL, having nothing at linebacker to spell anyone, and typical Alabama holding on all offensive plays because they know that 95 percent of them will be ignored and it was a miracle performance by the team.

What I really never get is that a certain group of posters talk about how Bama is going to kill us all season. Then when we are surprisingly competitive their narrative shifts to we should be playing even better than we are, as they rip every little thing Heupel calls. Later, when the game gets out of hand late, they act like they hadn't been saying Bama was going to murder us all season and demand to know why Bama did what they'd been predicting all along anyway.
Unfortunately you have too many trollish assholes on here. Freak won't get rid of them because they're "good for business" by fueling mindless, lengthy arguments and you can't kill them (that's a joke), so you just have to put up with them. Best thing to do is ignore them and don't feed their perverse need to sow discord.

As Samuel Clemmons said, "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Like a boxer getting hit in the body for 10-11 rounds and dropped his hands. We need a full roster to keep a d on the field 80 plays a game. But so much of that was lack of pass rush. We blitz, the QB escapes. We play zone and be finds the open receiver.
They just don't have the horses to defend it..They're not playing many guys on defense. When your offense leaves the defense out there for that many plays eventually they break. Took longer than I thought it would to Tennessee's credit.. That's why they set the line that high. They figured they'd just wear us down and they did.

If you have been following football as long as you have been a member of this board you should know the 4th quarter is when depth or lack there of shows up. I actually remember when Tennessee had it. In any profession mistakes occur when fatigue sets in, ask a health care pro after working for 24hrs. Not rocket science, oh yeah, rocket scientist too.

You may be somewhat blinded by you strong dislike of Alabama.

Stop making excuses
The defense was exhausted. I don't like this "the system is flawless" mentality. When you don't have the depth and you continuously put your defense out there with 1 maybe 2 minutes of rest the net result is that 4th quarter. sooner or later you have to wake up and slow down. Just like 3rd or 4th and 1 or less, you won't get under center and you start 7 yards deep and you fail.

Doesn’t matter wether quit or exhaustion comments. Point is we’re down 31-24 to Alabama in the early 4th quarter. Usually by that time it’s 38-3.
Go Vols !!! Heading in the right direction . Not reading the negative BS on here.

If you honestly think that was quit, there’s still a lot you have to learn about football, offensively we had 10 first downs in the game, the defense spent a huge percentage of the game on the field, we have a depleted (injuries & transfers) roster. Anyone would be tired that late in the game. We desperately need depth, that is what you actually saw.

Funny how the top two threads are Tim Banks Needs A Raise and Gave Up 28 POINTS In The 4th Qtr.

VN Store

Back