Game Thread: Tennessee Lady Vols (12-6, 5-1) @ Ole Miss (14-5, 4-2) ESPN 3:00PM EST 01-28-2024.

Dear God. Jon Gruden. Yes, by all means, let's hire yet another former player with no coaching experience. Has worked so well before.
Having a little fun with the ones
Who said John don't do anything.
TC would be a great recruiting coach if nothing else.
As for John I don't know what he does or doesn't do.
Seen John getting on the refs last game.
When I seen that one women ref I knew Tennessee needed a good game.
I post start official don't call Tennessee fair.
She worst at ref Tennessee better team we play.
Don't know her name seen her face .
That's why I posted start of last game
I do not like this ref

Would be nice to sign a center to practice against Key before we lose that resource.
thatthat that horsehorse was done left the barn.
Guess they could ask volleyball coach to let a fromer basketball high school player play or get the dean to send email asking wanted 6 4 or bigger who can practice or maybe play minutes in games
Email or drop by for a tryout.

When I seen that one women ref I knew Tennessee needed a good game.
I post start official don't call Tennessee fair.
She worst at ref Tennessee better team we play.
Don't know her name seen her face .
That's why I posted start of last game
I do not like this ref
She's one bad hombre.

She's got it in for us, mos' def
I do not like this ref

Puckett's lapse was all about confidence,,,,Jill's is all about the way she's being used and the lack of playing time

Jill is a 4 star ball-handling forward. She averages 20 minutes a game and averages 1 turnover a game.

Yet, instead of being used for her strengths, she is used, out of her natural position, to rest two other players. She is a 6'4" stretch-forward playing backup to a 6'2" center/forward (Karo) and a 6'6" post who can not play extended minutes....Where wold youall's confidence be if you were in such a position.
According to our roster list, Jillian is 6’5, and Karoline Striplin is 6’3. That makes Jillian our second tallest player, but she doesn’t want to play post, where we need her, so she is often out on the perimeter, where she is too tall to be dribbling, so she looks to pass, and has a hard time doing that. So, it looks like Kellie is letting Jillian play where she wants, but Jillian is not scoring and not rebounding like you would hope a 6’5 player would. Playing Tamari has cut Jillian’s and Striplin’s minutes, but at least Striplin fights to rebound and score under the basket.

Last edited:
According to our roster list, Jillian is 6’5, and Karoline Striplin is 6’3. That makes Jillian our second tallest player, but she doesn’t want to play post, where we need her, so she is often out on the perimeter, where she is too tall to be dribbling, so she looks to pass, and has a hard time doing that. So, it looks like Kellie is letting Jillian play where she wants, but Jillian is not scoring and not rebounding like you would hope a 6’5 player would. Playing Tamari has cut Jillian’s and Striplin’s minutes, but at least Striplin fights to rebound and score under the basket.
I have stood next to both of them
unless Jillian grew this past year, she is 6'4"
Also per ESPN:
jillian 2.jpg
As for Karoline...I am just over 6'1" in tennis shoes
20200721_174623.jpg

I know it is an old practice to list players taller,,,I just don't do that

I have stood next to both of them
unless Jillian grew this past year, she is 6'4"
Also per ESPN:
View attachment 616123
As for Karoline...I am just over 6'1" in tennis shoes
View attachment 616124

I know it is an old practice to list players taller,,,I just don't do that
You are looking at an old (high school) scout from ESPN, she is now listed at 6’5.

Also, neither you nor Karoline are standing straight, and the person closest to the camera appears taller. Still not a way of measuring height, I’ll believe the height the University of Tennessee has measured and published.

You are looking at an old (high school) scout from ESPN, she is now listed at 6’5.

Also, neither you nor Karoline are standing straight, and the person closest to the camera appears taller. Still not a way of measuring height, I’ll believe the height the University of Tennessee has measured and published.
NP...bygones

Utsports has a team photo where there's a lines on the wall behind the tall players. That's a good photo for comparing players height.

Reactions: brittannica
So who is playing the post when TK is out?
this is the proverbial "fly in the ointment"
There is no adequate backup for Key's true position

when Key goes out you go to a 2 forward, 3 guard set
every team has this same problem,,very few have equal Center-subs and they do have to rest their posts as well.
ergo you have to have two offensive designs, one for Key in and one for Key out.
and two defensive strategies

to do this you will have to sub with purpose
and equally inportant, do this during your cup-cake games so the sets can establish symetry and familiarity
This cannot be done by a "lets play everyone as = as possible" coach

Last edited:
Would rather see us just go to 4 guards with Karo and run a 5 out offense when TK isn’t in the game.

Press, get easy buckets in transition and shoot the 3.

Run Jasmine, Jewel, Kaiya, Rickea and Karo

There is still some length and athleticism in that lineup but it’s much quicker than the combinations we are usually playing.

Adding Tess or Sara into anything slow us down massively.

Kaiya should be playing 25 minutes a game. I said weeks ago she needed more minutes. They got her some and she proved why she deserved them. Not sure why they have not played her consistently because she has been nothing but positive energy and toward the basket. Which this team desperately needs.

Last edited:
Then have a big slow lineup and bruise on people for a little bit.

Play Kaiya, Tess/Spear, Sara, Kea and TK.

Alternate size and speed and keep our opponent on their toes. Both lineups can bring something different offensively and defensively.

Tess should really only be playing greater than 10 minutes a game if she hits her first shot. She’s a streaky shooter. If she hits one I’d leave her out there for a bit. If she misses one she needs to sit back down, too much of a liability defensively. It has NOTHING to do with her heart, effort and bball IQ. That is all there, she is just not quick enough for defense on the perimeter in the SEC.

Would rather see us just go to 4 guards with Karo and run a 5 out offense when TK isn’t in the game.

Press, get easy buckets in transition and shoot the 3.

Run Jasmine, Jewel, Kaiya, Rickea and Karo

There is still some length and athleticism in that lineup but it’s much quick that the combinations we are usually playing.

Adding Tess or Sara into anything slow us down massively.

Kaiya should be playing 25 minutes a game. I said weeks ago she needed more minutes. They got her some and she proved why she deserved them. Not sure why they have not played her consistently because she has been nothing but positive energy and toward the basket. Which this team desperately needs.
5 out offenses live and die with the 3
I want my team to be able to go deep, mid-range, inside and drives,, as well as high-post cuts that can curl into a shot or drive

Then have a big slow lineup and bruise on people for a little bit.

Play Kaiya, Tess/Spear, Sara, Kea and TK.

Alternate size and speed and keep our opponent on their toes. Both lineups can bring something different offensively and defensively.

Tess should really only be playing greater than 10 minutes a game if she hits her first shot. She’s a streaky shooter. If she hits one I’d leave her out there for a bit. If she misses one she needs to sit back down, too much of a liability defensively. It has NOTHING to do with her heart, effort and bball IQ. That is all there, she is just not quick enough for defense on the perimeter in the SEC.
Wynn could very well be a 5'10" Horston type of player...BUT you have to let her go and live with the bad and the good...Jordan was great when she was great and bad when she was bad,, but her athleticism made her a tough matchup and letting her play through mistakes built her confidence

Kaiya will be the same adventure

Wynn could very well be a 5'10" Horston type of player...BUT you have to let her go and live with the bad and the good...Jordan was great when she was great and bad when she was bad,, but her athleticism made her a tough matchup and letting her play through mistakes built her confidence

Kaiya will be the same adventure

I'd rather teach her the way Barnes has gone with Mashack. Lean into what she does well. Defense, rebounding on both ends, know your limitations on offense and work within them. I like the progress she has made so far. I think the next level of growth is still on defense (anticipation, creating pressure, steals, turnovers, increased assertiveness).

VN Store

Back