Game Thread: Tennessee Lady Vols (12-6, 5-1) @ Ole Miss (14-5, 4-2) ESPN 3:00PM EST 01-28-2024.

I don't think so. Coaches tend to stick together knowing that they are all just a few bad games away from the "hot seat" and it serves her interest to give props to Tennessee. Saying that the LVs are not a tournament lowers the perceived quality of the win.
Absolutely. My pricky initial response notwithstanding, I think it was both "there but by the grace of God go I" and "hey that team we just beat is great!". And Yo's natural tendancy to grab the mic on every toast.

So Kellie has lost creekdipper?!? That's like Johnson losing Cronkite on the Vietnam War.

We differ on what percentage of the mess is coaching, what's lack of talent, what's lack of development, what's epic bad luck. But it hardly matters. Like you, I hate like hell if KJH is not ultimately successful. Said when she came I never wanted to see her be the next Holly.

How about this to save KJH: instead of opening the vault for another coach, open it for NIL and buy KJH a damn competitive team. I know schools can't directly move the money but I'll bet they could help make it happen. Donors are the lifeblood of university administrators. We know KJH can't do the more-with-less coaching, but the more-with-more seems alot easier. As we discussed the other day, having great players hides alot of coaching flaws.

If she can't get it done with an elite team, we can move on with a better roster and a healthy NIL.

Can't wait for the incoming on this idea.

I will vote for it! As I said in another post, when an AD or owner does not want to fire a struggling head coach, the first line of defense is a big shake-up of the assistants. I would not mind seeing how Kellie does with new blood around her.

So Kellie has lost creekdipper?!? That's like Johnson losing Cronkite on the Vietnam War.

We differ on what percentage of the mess is coaching, what's lack of talent, what's lack of development, what's epic bad luck. But it hardly matters. Like you, I hate like hell if KJH is not ultimately successful. Said when she came I never wanted to see her be the next Holly.

How about this to save KJH: instead of opening the vault for another coach, open it for NIL and buy KJH a damn competitive team. I know schools can't directly move the money but I'll bet they could help make it happen. Donors are the lifeblood of university administrators. We know KJH can't do the more-with-less coaching, but the more-with-more seems alot easier. As we discussed the other day, having great players hides alot of coaching flaws.

If she can't get it done with an elite team, we can move on with a better roster and a healthy NIL.

Makes me ponder the possibility that LSU’s NIL largesse may be self funded by Kimmie. May not be fair, and definitely speculation on my part, but would that be possible?

I will vote for it! As I said in another post, when an AD or owner does not want to fire a struggling head coach, the first line of defense is a big shake-up of the assistants. I would not mind seeing how Kellie does with new blood around her.
I'm talking about buying players, not assistants. Let's see if she can coach elite instead of plug and play players. She has managed to get a string of them, the few she's had, to the W.

The tournament think we'll work itself out one way or the other.... But test assured we will get the benefit of the doubt. If there is any way to get this team in they will make it happen because of the brand.

That being said if this team doesn't make it in it should be a no brainer that a change is needed. Be respectful ask KJH to step down and give her the opportunity to find a landing spot, help her in any way we can.
If they don't make the NCAA tournament.
And there going to hire a new coach.
Tennessee Paying the reminder of her contact might get Kellie to step down.
Kellie's not going away without most or all of the million dollars left on her contact.
She be nuts to do that.

Makes me ponder the possibility that LSU’s NIL largesse may be self funded by Kimmie. May not be fair, and definitely speculation on my part, but would that be possible?
Bam and Vanderbilt big games for NCAA tournament hopes.
Got have one 5 of 6 non LSU SC games is must.
Or they need a deep run in the SEC tournament.
Still think Tennessee still can make NCAA tournament
But the door not as wide as it was Saturday night.

I think that's largely the path Mulkey took last year. Wasn't,'t the least impressed with her in-game coaching last season. Just rode the Reese Train and a couple of missed free throws to a title.

I'm talking about buying players, not assistants. Let's see if she can coach elite instead of plug and play players. She has managed to get a string of them, the few she's had, to the W.
Understood. Unfortunately, I think both are probably needed.

I will also say, it such a game of fine margins. Jewell had a monster night but Rickea seemed to run out steam in the 2nd half (probably fatigued from a 4 quarter wrestling match).

She missed several shots that have been close to automatic and, if she had been, the conversation would be different.

Of course that is the cruel reality of any close loss-- woulda, coulda, shoulda.

We are starting to get on the wrong of those too often. It is becoming a pattern that players who have been struggling all season, go off against the LVs.

I think that's largely the path Mulkey took last year. Wasn't,'t the least impressed with her in-game coaching last season. Just rode the Reese Train and a couple of missed free throws to a title.
and two bad ref games Iowa State and Iowa Help alot I watch those games.
My opinion.
Even the NCAA admitted they miss some calls in the Iowa game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If they don't make the NCAA tournament.
And there going to hire a new coach.
Tennessee Paying the reminder of her contact might get Kellie to step down.
Kellie's not going away without most or all of the million dollars left on her contact.
She be nuts to do that.
What ever it takes it’s time for to go

Eh this is just coach talk. Trying to get something out of what really isn’t a big win for teams anymore.
Partly coach talk but it was also a big win for them. They were the team most likely to battle um for third place in the SEC. If they lost, it was very unlikely to happen. Now it is. 3rd place in the SEC represents continued upward mobility for that program, which is a selling point. For us, it represents the plateau that we have been stuck on and far from our glory days.

Kellie hasn't totally lost me, but she's in the "prove it" stage at this point.

The h.s. recruiting woes are evident as were outlined by some of Kellie's most vehement and persistent detractors since Day Zone. But I saw her do "more with less" at Missouri State. She rebuilt that team and had it progress each year until that magical last season, which started off disastrously with around seven losses in their first ten games. But the team never stopped believing and, despite losing a key player late in the season, won their conference title and upset two teams in the tournament before falling to Stanford by around a points, I believe. So I really thought she could work wonders with a talented roster.

I'd like to see her stabilize this inconsistent but talented team before thinking that NIL would solve the problems. Sure, we'd be better with more talent, but so could any decent coach. Any coach getting a million bucks ought to be able to recruit team needs, correct missing fundamentals, instill solid offense and defense, prepare the team for opposing teams, and make in-game adjustments.

You can give adequate drivers a Ferrari, but it still takes skill to win the championship barring everything going your way as it did for LSU last year.

Kellie hasn't totally lost me, but she's in the "prove it" stage at this point.

The h.s. recruiting woes are evident as were outlined by some of Kellie's most vehement and persistent detractors since Day Zone. But I saw her do "more with less" at Missouri State. She rebuilt that team and had it progress each year until that magical last season, which started off disastrously with around seven losses in their first ten games. But the team never stopped believing and, despite losing a key player late in the season, won their conference title and upset two teams in the tournament before falling to Stanford by around a points, I believe. So I really thought she could work wonders with a talented roster.

I'd like to see her stabilize this inconsistent but talented team before thinking that NIL would solve the problems. Sure, we'd be better with more talent, but so could any decent coach. Any coach getting a million bucks ought to be able to recruit team needs, correct missing fundamentals, instill solid offense and defense, prepare the team for opposing teams, and make in-game adjustments.

You can give adequate drivers a Ferrari, but it still takes skill to win the championship barring everything going your way as it did for LSU last year.

I too have not jumped off the Kellie train (though I am looking for soft landing spots).

But I wonder if a coach who is good at doing more with less is not necessarily a coach who can get the most out of a more talented team?

Last edited:
I too have not jumped off the Kellie (though I am looking for soft landing spots).

But I wonder if a coach who is good at doing more with less is not necessarily a coach who can get the most out of a more talented team?
That's my point. Maybe the vice versa is true - KJH can't do more with less but maybe she could do more with more.

It's convuluted but at some point someone has to open the money hole for either/and a coach and some players. I know some insist lack of NIL money is just a contrived excuse, but it seems if we had equal money we wouldn't lose every single elite who is interested and visits.

Someone, besides the wonderful but nickel and dime booster club, has to pump some money into the program. That seems to be the lifeblood of the new elites.

That's my point. Maybe the vice versa is true - KJH can't do more with less but maybe she could do more with more.

It's convuluted but at some point someone has to open the money hole for either/and a coach and some players. I know some insist lack of NIL money is just a contrived excuse, but it seems if we had equal money we wouldn't lose every single elite who is interested and visits.

Someone, besides the wonderful but nickel and dime booster club, has to pump some money into the program. That seems to be the lifeblood of the new elites.
Spyre has done the Lady Vols no favors. Quite a bit of the future direction of the program rides on the shoulders of young Liza Fruendt.

Spyre has done the Lady Vols no favors. Quite a bit of the future direction of the program rides on the shoulders of young Liza Fruendt.
someone else finally noticed that we have another young coach on the bench.

They should ask John to take a free coach job.
Make TC who won a championship with kellie a offer as a assistant.
TC could stop board casting and help her friend KJ OUT.

Might help with recruiting too. I’d imagine the more we can introduce players to Lady Vols who have had long and successful basketball careers the better.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Dear God. Jon Gruden. Yes, by all means, let's hire yet another former player with no coaching experience. Has worked so well before.

Putting the NIL situation aside, isn't the problem that the program is already doing less with more ?
It's not only LV fans who think this team has talent. Look at the preseason projections for the last 5 years. Have any of those teams exceeded their preseason projections ?

VN Store

Back