Game Thread: SEC Lady Vols v Lady Tigers

Besides the win one of the best parts was Ms. Key FINISHING through contact! At least two or three times she finished the shot. Once they called the foul on the floor and she still hit the shot!

Tonight Teonni Key will see two of her top choices going at each other...
she's growing up
Little sister, take note!,,,,what's good for the goose is good for the gosling

I can see why Jordan Horston was the #2/#6 recruit in the nation in this last recruiting class. She is an incredible athlete, her line tonight, 6 points, 6 rebounds (2 off.), 3 steals, 2 blocks and assists with only 1 turnover. The talent is there and if Kellie and company can mold her, I expect her to be, at least, an All-American by her senior year. I, really think Horston will be a 2 time AA, she is the best athlete, not basketball player (yet!), that I have ever seen play bb at UT, easily. Plus, she has those long arms and should be an elite defender next year. Hopefully, the coaching staff can fine tune her into a Lady Vol legend. She just has so much potential. Anyway, Davis and Burrell balled out, so come get some Kentucky. Time to remind some of these teams that this tournament used to be nicknamed the Lady Vols Invitational, because we own it
Me too. Sure glad Holly recruited her...and Rae Burrell...and Tamari Key...and Rennia Davis..

She just couldn’t coach.
Possibly...but there have been an awful lot of negative comments on here regarding "Holly's Recruits". I have followed Lady Vol Basketball since Pat Summit was Pat Head. I actually feel sorry for any recruit that comes here and isn't an all american the minute she steps on the court. You guys are brutal and uncommonly nasty.

Horston showed up in the box score, leading the team in the +\- category at +18!

1DD99BD3-B6EE-471A-B207-2D6CE20884C6.jpeg

I can see why Jordan Horston was the #2/#6 recruit in the nation in this last recruiting class. She is an incredible athlete, her line tonight, 6 points, 6 rebounds (2 off.), 3 steals, 2 blocks and assists with only 1 turnover. The talent is there and if Kellie and company can mold her, I expect her to be, at least, an All-American by her senior year. I, really think Horston will be a 2 time AA, she is the best athlete, not basketball player (yet!), that I have ever seen play bb at UT, easily. Plus, she has those long arms and should be an elite defender next year. Hopefully, the coaching staff can fine tune her into a Lady Vol legend. She just has so much potential. Anyway, Davis and Burrell balled out, so come get some Kentucky. Time to remind some of these teams that this tournament used to be nicknamed the Lady Vols Invitational, because we own it

I’m glad they didn’t forfeit. Going by the posts in this thread, it seemed like the wisest option.

Reactions: Bret178 and Lucy
You're right, it's never not for Pat, for what she built, etc. LOL she's kind of like God, she's universal around the program. Always a presence in the background. So to specifically win a game or tourney "for Pat" could have the feel of rolling one out for the Gipper. But hey, whatever motivates them I'm fine with.

A long time ago a middlin' Don Devoe men's team found a bone on the way to their first SEC tourney practice. They rallied around that random bone, would chant "The Bone, The Bone", had it on the bench during games. Corny sports movie come true, they made a Cinderella run to the finals.

Whatever it takes.

Lets see how long has Pat been gone? That length of time would make most of these girls how old when she left the program and us? I wonder how many of this team really remember her or just how important she was to the women's game, at least before coming to UT and be indoctrinated. But, as you say "what ever it takes". (I do feel this tact is to keep we the fans rallied up as much as anything)

Possibly...but there have been an awful lot of negative comments on here regarding "Holly's Recruits". I have followed Lady Vol Basketball since Pat Summit was Pat Head. I actually feel sorry for any recruit that comes here and isn't an all american the minute she steps on the court. You guys are brutal and uncommonly nasty.
Especially before they have even take the court to play. Ratings are certainly important, but Harper proved there are players out there that are low ranked or unranked that can play at Missouri State.

Lets see how long has Pat been gone? That length of time would make most of these girls how old when she left the program and us? I wonder how many of this team really remember her or just how important she was to the women's game, at least before coming to UT and be indoctrinated. But, as you say "what ever it takes". (I do feel this tact is to keep we the fans rallied up as much as anything)
I guess it depends on how much of a bball historian each player might be. Of course none have active memories of her or the heyday, but I'm sure some like to steep in the history while others don't. There's plenty of video.

My point was no matter how long Pat is gone she will always be the roots of the program and an inspiration. That is a very good thing, except for those Frozen Chosen who use it as an excuse to never do anything more modern than the Corn Fed Chick offense. Which is something I've always thought the real Pat would hate. She was so competitive she was always trying to learn so she could continue to be great.

Horston showed up in the box score, leading the team in the +\- category at +18!

View attachment 264935
So glad you posted that, I can never find those numbers, and look who came right after Jordan’s 18, Lou at 17, and Kasi at 16. Don’t know about Kasi’s numbers in previous games, but Kellie said Lou’s numbers are high. The team plays better with certain players in the game, that’s why Lou is always playing at crunch time. GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:

Horston made some big contributions on the defensive end that don't show up on the box score. I say again, when folks complain about her freshman season, she has been solid defensively all season long. The more typical pattern for high ranked players is that they get traction first on the offensive side and struggle to figure out the defensive side-- that pattern even applied to some LV legends like CP3. Jordan is just the opposite. Had Zaay not been injured, JH would have not had as much pressure on to be an offensive play maker and the perception of her season would be very different - though let's not forget she made the conference all freshman team.

Rae has a killer instinct. She is not afraid to take the team on her back and say I will make the plays we need. Her 3rd quarter stretch completely turned the game around

Her game is still a little rough in places which sometimes leads to situations where she has the right idea but the execution does not follow. Next season, she is going to be an absolute monster.

Rennia did a Regina tonight...
tenor.gif

First half, fair enough, definitely not the 2nd half. 15 pts and 9 boards is not a bad score line at all.

Amazing what happens when a few shots are made, and turnovers are dramatically reduced....
KK played well again. She is turning into a decent basketball player. Good for her.
Horston took care of the ball and stopped making so many foolish turnovers....
Lou Brown played strong on her one good leg...That was epic!
The refs finally stopped buying into the bull stuff Missouri was selling with all their flops....
The third quarter of ball was as good as it can be for us....Missouri was stunned by the LVs resurrection from the defeated team that left the court at half time...
Teonni, come on down....

Amazing what happens when a few shots are made, and turnovers are dramatically reduced....
KK played well again. She is turning into a decent basketball player. Good for her.
Horston took care of the ball and stopped making so many foolish turnovers....
Lou Brown played strong on her one good leg...That was epic!
The refs finally stopped buying into the bull stuff Missouri was selling with all their flops....
The third quarter of ball was as good as it can be for us....Missouri was stunned by the LVs resurrection from the defeated team that left the court at half time...
Teonni, come on down....

I am so tired of the floppy act! We had a great player here at our little school, and, so help me, the opponents would literally fall at her feet ...way out at the half-court line. And EVERY time they would get the charge call! Ugh
Oh, and that thing about Teonni...👍

Just woke up from long nap. What did I miss?

Just re-watch any of the games they've played against crappy teams over the past month or so. Instead of watching tonight's game, you can just re-watch any of the ranked teams they've played at your leisure...

VN Store

Back