Game Thread: (RV/RV) Lady Vols. 56 - (9/9) Virginia Tech 59

Yes! Six rebounds in 11 minutes.

Changing topics....

We need a spark plug...that is what I was trying to say earlier.
i get what you're saying.

It's just that you think what we most need are intangibles, and I think what we need is very tangible. The ball going through the tangible net, result of a logical offensive play.

i get what you're saying.

It's just that you think what we most need are intangibles, and I think what we need is very tangible. The ball going through the tangible net, result of a logical offensive play.

Yes, I see your point. I am definitely looking for the intangible "team" things.

But, you are correct...besides Horston and Jackson (???), we never really know who can put the ball in the basket on any given day. The remainder of the team is streaky shooters and/or poor shooters. We miss Rae in that regard.

I don't know where the points will come from. That is why I vote to press more even though we are slow. We don't get many cheap baskets.

Remember Kellie's first highly-touted recruiting class of Puckett, Wynn, Miles, and Striplin? Did they work on their games at all during the offseason? Have these coaches developed them at all? What a disappointment that group has been...

It's so funny when we go 18-1 last year everyone is screaming that's my coach, but now we have a 4-5 start and loses against pretty much all ranked teams and she needs to be fired. You all are funny. What in the hell did you expect to happen today missing three players? We barely lost and almost won. You ask me that's some damn good coaching. Notre Dame blew out UConn today. Wasn't even close and they lost against Maryland, then Maryland lost to Nebraska today, which was blown out by VA Tech just the other day. We lost by what 3 I think. Please chill out and relax. You all acting the like the world is ending. I'm sure they will get it together
I like your comments, Mr.Vol2u, however I think you are ignoring some facts about CKH coaching career. She did not perform well at a Power 5 school (NC State). This is the cause of some fans, including myself, being skeptical about her ability to coach well at this level. She did not have the services of Jackson in today's game as you stated. The LVs may have won with Jackson's scoring capability. I believe it is a fair statement to say that Coach Kellie has at least 20 more games to show that she is a good Power 5 coach. This is whether she has the services of Jackson or not.

Remember Kellie's first highly-touted recruiting class of Puckett, Wynn, Miles, and Striplin? Did they work on their games at all during the offseason? Have these coaches developed them at all? What a disappointment that group has been...
That’s why it’s something to monitor with Justine. She’s been in campus for awhile…is she the same kid we recruited or is she being developed. Highly ranked kid not seeing much time on a sub 500 team. 3 mins today

I can’t believe how bad Lady Vols’ basketball has become. This was a program (grant it yrs ago) with final four/elite eight expectations. Are things worse now than they were with Coach Holly? Serious question as I don’t know the roster as well as many of you.

What about recruiting? It the 2023 class strong? What about the start for 2024 class?

I wonder why we never see any former players at our game. I’m watching the UCONN and ND game and think back, it seems like all the top programs have former players at their games and I can’t think of a single game where we see any of ours. Sorry, just a random thought.
Candace has been back multiple times, plus Catchings, Michelle Marciniak, and the players that are now announcers. It’s possible we have past players in the audience and don’t know it, or maybe most of our past players have busy lives and don’t live near Knoxville. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: krichunaka
I can’t believe how bad Lady Vols’ basketball has become. This was a program (grant it yrs ago) with final four/elite eight expectations. Are things worse now than they were with Coach Holly? Serious question as I don’t know the roster as well as many of you.

What about recruiting? It the 2023 class strong? What about the start for 2024 class?
Oh please, way too transparent!🙄

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
That’s why it’s something to monitor with Justine. She’s been in campus for awhile…is she the same kid we recruited or is she being developed. Highly ranked kid not seeing much time on a sub 500 team. 3 mins today

I watched her while she was in and saw why she was pulled. She seems to have a bad outing, followed by a good outing, followed by a bad outing. That is how freshmen are.

But we sure could have used someone even taking an outside shot today. Our short guards are not much threat from there when anyone is near them, and Tess cannot get open or create her own shot so someone of Justine's height and range would be just the ticket if the rest of her game would become less of a liability. She has to be in the right spots on the court and play good defense before she will see much more playing time though.

I will mention one other thing. She is tall enough to really give other guards fits at the 3 pt line, and she should be able to post them up like Marta was doing today. She isn't ready yet, but she should be getting as much help in practice to accelerate her learning as they can give her.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The problem i see with some of the other top programs compared to us. Call this what you want i dont care at this point. We recruit athletic girls that have low IQ and cant shoot a lick. And we recruit good shooters that are so slow they cant keep up with the opposing team and they also have low IQ. Ball handling is lazy. Passing is lazy. Rebounding is flat footed. I want to like certain players on our team but they are to slow and cant jump. Our coach seems to have forgot how to coach offense. We are bottom of the sec to middle of the pack at best this year. Horston should have hit the portal and went back to Columbus. She is to good of a player to never see a final four. Until we get a competent coach that can make changes on the fly this is as good as it gets. And I wanted so bad to be a CKH fan. I watch every win and every loss with the exception of Flo sports broadcast. Lets hope the light comes on from top to bottom.

I don't know the roster much anymore either due to apathy. I do know a few names though or at least know they sound familiar then I forget most of them in between games again. I do notice the same players who aren't elite shooters, dribblers or rebounders. Fairly stiff.

Last edited:
I rewatched some of the game to see what happened to Justine today and her 2 minutes....Kellie came and talked to her before sending her in, maybe telling her to shoot the 3ball, but she never got the ball to shoot it...

She was open several times for a 3 ball shot, but the guards kept the ball and drove in the lane and often lost it, or missed the shot...No one kicked it out to her, instead they just lost the ball....

This club is mostly one on one ball, very little teamwork....No semblance of a coordinated offensive attack; none whatsoever......

This will most likely end badly.....I really wanted Kellie to succeed.

The problem i see with some of the other top programs compared to us. Call this what you want i dont care at this point. We recruit athletic girls that have low IQ and cant shoot a lick. And we recruit good shooters that are so slow they cant keep up with the opposing team and they also have low IQ. Ball handling is lazy. Passing is lazy. Rebounding is flat footed. I want to like certain players on our team but they are to slow and cant jump. Our coach seems to have forgot how to coach offense. We are bottom of the sec to middle of the pack at best this year. Horston should have hit the portal and went back to Columbus. She is to good of a player to never see a final four. Until we get a competent coach
that can make changes on the fly this is as good as it gets. And I wanted so bad to be a CKH fan. I watch every win and every loss with the exception of Flo sports broadcast. Let’s hope the light comes on from top to bottom.

We are lucky Jordan is a Lady Vol. You haven’t watched her much have you?

Would we have gotten scoring out of Franklin or Hollingshead? We didn't get it from anyone else, that's for sure.
We would for sure have gotten scoring from Rickea and Franklin. Franklin is a better version of Alexus from last year, who grabbed the rebounds from Horston misses and made the shot. Since Horston made only 9 of 24 shots, and missed her last 2 crucial shots, Franklin would have had a lot of opportunity to do what she does best, rebound and score, and we need her.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
We would for sure have gotten scoring from Rickea and Franklin. Franklin is a better version of Alexus from last year, who grabbed the rebounds from Horston misses and made the shot. Since Horston made only 9 of 24 shots, and missed her last 2 crucial shots, Franklin would have had a lot of opportunity to do what she does best, rebound and score.

Horston blew a layup and was short on 2 jumpers late in the game. These things happen when you play 38 minutes. 35 minutes would be okay due to her high fitness level. 38 is just too much not to see fatigue on shots late in the game.

Reactions: Prophet1
We are lucky Jordan is a Lady Vol. You haven’t watched her much have you?
Havent watched her very much? How did you get that from my post? Yes i know we are very lucky to have her. But her talent deserves so much more than a 4-5 record and a long season that may end in not making the tournament for the first time ever. Jesus you people only read what you want to read.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Horston blew a layup and was short on 2 jumpers late in the game. These things happen when you play 38 minutes. 35 minutes would be okay due to her high fitness level. 38 is just too much not to see fatigue on shots late in the game.
Agree fatigue can cause poor play, but now that you mention minutes, Kitley played 40 minutes, another VT player played 37 minutes, 2 others played 35 minutes each, and one played 32. We seem to be careful about making sure our players get rest/relief, which makes sense, especially in tournaments, if you can still win doing that. Makes me wonder if we’re in as good of condition as other teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 37620VOL and lfvol

VN Store

Back