Game Thread: (RV/RV) Lady Vols. 56 - (9/9) Virginia Tech 59

Look Jordan is why the LVs stayed in the game. But (there is always a but), elite game changing players (which JH should be) make plays late in the game, regardless of minutes player. The fact is she missed open jumpers and lay-ups early in the game as well. She has always been more of a scorer than "shooter." When she has a an offensive partner - like Burrell or jackson- there is a little room to absorb her inconsistent shot. when it is all on her (and that is a lot of responsibility to shoulder), 9-24 does not cut it. My comment is also a criticism of her teammates who are not stepping enough to help on the offensive end. So, it should not all be on Jordan but if it is, she has to push through the fatigue.
I agree. Please see post #773, that’s really the post your reply fits. The convo started earlier at #772.

Last edited:
The box score is telling in lots of ways. A big point is that Kitley was not a major factor and Key outplayed her. So that there is a plus.

While Tech did not shoot a great %, they had 7 more threes than the LVS, which is a 7 point differential. That has been a consistent theme of this season, the lack of 3 point shooting handicapping the team. Darby 0-3, Suarez 0-2 and Powell 1 for 5 stand out because they all had good looks and just one would have been an equalizer and 2 would have won.

16 TOs is not that bad for the LVs but Tech is not a pressing team and some of the TOs were real momentum killers. In numerous possessions, the LVs had cut the lead to 4 or so and then gave the ball back via a TO. And many were completely unforced and due to bad decisions on the court.

Missing Franklin and Hollingshead (who was just finding her game) was a blow that really amplified the absence of Rickea.

Jordan player her heart out but 9-24 is really inefficient and she missed some easy ones too. If she had 50%, we are talking a win. The LVs are going to have a lot of games that come down to fine margins and poor shooting makes it really hard to come out on the winning side, Defensively,. 59 points is great and I think most would have expected a W with that score line, plus a big edge in rebounding, but terrible shooting did the team in.

My game management complaint about Kellie is that Key was playing well and was not in foul trouble. Under those circumstances (particularly with no Jasmine or Jillian) leave her on the court as much as possible. In this matchup, there was a big drop off with Striplin. This was the game to let Key really get herself going. Kitley played 40 and TK should have been close to that.

Given the LV's were missing 3 key players, the performance was a respectable one and this game is certainly no reason to hit the panic button. But, Kellie and staff (I believe) need to dial back on their compulsive substitution habits and beeter adapt to the game situations. And if Jackson is missing for the longer term, this team's shooting woes have to be fixed. Shoot more 3's and, when missed, crash the boards just like their opponents are doing.
The biggest thing I took away was that the subs were 6 for 31 and that we had six players get 104 minutes for a total of 6 points. Those subs shoot 30 percent then we also win. How can six players play 104 minutes of the game and score six points? We know what we got in Horston she will probably have that kind of stat still 26 points on 24 shots since she was efficient at the line. She will need some help no player can go it alone. She had it from Key and Powell helped a little the rest just were not doing anywhere near what we need from them offensively meaning we can accept something like 12 for 31 from them not 6 of 31.

Walz does have the equity of his last four postseason appearances of being a FF, E8, E8, and a FF and Vic has an NCAA Runner up and three straight E8s.
Get's lost in the "whataboutism" syndrome
I'd take those last few years and say 4-5 isn't ideal, but she has equity and has shown to get past the Sweet 16

Or defense and rebounding wins championships (provided that you are capable of scoring more points than your well-defended opponents). Somewhere that addendum needs to get taken more seriously.
Just a tough day that three players one shooting 55 for the season another 54 and another over 60 on just a few attempts could not play. We've been averaging 77 points for the season and Kentucky scored 84 on Tech so it was very easy to see that the players we had to play couldn't help us offensively. If they can't get going to be a lot of games like this or hopefully we get the three players back that can make the difference.

The subs didn't play well no doubt. Inconceivable some didn't want them to get minutes. There's no one behind them we can use. Just got to make them better. Not giving up on them......

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Another coach that has sucked this year, and suddenly Kellie doesn't look so bad. I like this game! :D
But one Coach played highly ranked teams in Division 1, and another played unranked, and I’d have to go back and look, but I believe several teams not in Division 1. 😀

Ok, I looked. Vandy losses include:
Saint Joseph’s
Northern Iowa
East TN State
UT Martin

Guess I can see why you’re here. ☹️

Last edited:
The problem i see with some of the other top programs compared to us. Call this what you want i dont care at this point. We recruit athletic girls that have low IQ and cant shoot a lick. And we recruit good shooters that are so slow they cant keep up with the opposing team and they also have low IQ. Ball handling is lazy. Passing is lazy. Rebounding is flat footed. I want to like certain players on our team but they are to slow and cant jump. Our coach seems to have forgot how to coach offense. We are bottom of the sec to middle of the pack at best this year. Horston should have hit the portal and went back to Columbus. She is to good of a player to never see a final four. Until we get a competent coach that can make changes on the fly this

You know, I deleted a reply to you yesterday because I thought it was a little harsh after looking at some of your posting history that included posts that actually supported the team (even though I remembered some pretty caustic posts you made last year which made me hit the "ignore" icon). But today I see you calling our players "low IQ" and saying that Jordy should have entered the portal (among other cutting remarks).

So I've reconsidered. And when you said you "didn't care for" my comments and "smart@ss remarks," I'm reinstating my original response:

I don't give two healthy bowel movements what you care for.

But one Coach played highly ranked teams in Division 1, and another played unranked, and I’d have to go back and look, but I believe several teams not in Division 1. 😀

You seem confused, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Kellie has proven to be a better coach than Shea, ergo we can safely conclude Kellie is an outstanding coach and we are lucky to have her...

The box score is telling in lots of ways. A big point is that Kitley was not a major factor and Key outplayed her. So that there is a plus.

While Tech did not shoot a great %, they had 7 more threes than the LVS, which is a 7 point differential. That has been a consistent theme of this season, the lack of 3 point shooting handicapping the team. Darby 0-3, Suarez 0-2 and Powell 1 for 5 stand out because they all had good looks and just one would have been an equalizer and 2 would have won.

16 TOs is not that bad for the LVs but Tech is not a pressing team and some of the TOs were real momentum killers. In numerous possessions, the LVs had cut the lead to 4 or so and then gave the ball back via a TO. And many were completely unforced and due to bad decisions on the court.

Missing Franklin and Hollingshead (who was just finding her game) was a blow that really amplified the absence of Rickea.

Jordan player her heart out but 9-24 is really inefficient and she missed some easy ones too. If she had 50%, we are talking a win. The LVs are going to have a lot of games that come down to fine margins and poor shooting makes it really hard to come out on the winning side, Defensively,. 59 points is great and I think most would have expected a W with that score line, plus a big edge in rebounding, but terrible shooting did the team in.

My game management complaint about Kellie is that Key was playing well and was not in foul trouble. Under those circumstances (particularly with no Jasmine or Jillian) leave her on the court as much as possible. In this matchup, there was a big drop off with Striplin. This was the game to let Key really get herself going. Kitley played 40 and TK should have been close to that.

Given the LV's were missing 3 key players, the performance was a respectable one and this game is certainly no reason to hit the panic button. But, Kellie and staff (I believe) need to dial back on their compulsive substitution habits and beeter adapt to the game situations. And if Jackson is missing for the longer term, this team's shooting woes have to be fixed. Shoot more 3's and, when missed, crash the boards just like their opponents are doing.
Not sure why, but Kellie said in the presser that Tamari’s minutes were scripted to give her rest. She’s not used to going 40 like Kitley and probably would have hurt more than it helped. She definitely needed more touches than she got. She’s a lot more efficient when she plays against someone her size because she’s not being double and triple teamed. She had 7 shots but should have gotten 12 since no one other than Jordan was scoring

The biggest thing I took away was that the subs were 6 for 31 and that we had six players get 104 minutes for a total of 6 points. Those subs shoot 30 percent then we also win. How can six players play 104 minutes of the game and score six points? We know what we got in Horston she will probably have that kind of stat still 26 points on 24 shots since she was efficient at the line. She will need some help no player can go it alone. She had it from Key and Powell helped a little the rest just were not doing anywhere near what we need from them offensively meaning we can accept something like 12 for 31 from them not 6 of 31.

I think the optimistic pre-season forecast assumed that Puckett would be a solid contributor, along with Jordan Walker and that Pissott would also provide outside shooting.

I am not sure what is up with Puckett but she can not hit a shot to save her life right now. Walker looks lost now that she is not PG and, like Marta, forces plays and adds to the team's TO woes.

Justine. for a highly ranked player, is looking more like a project player who will need at least one season to get up to speed and strength. Darby, as a starter, has been inconsistent and has been subpar against the better teams.

Hollingshead started the season looking like she too might contribute less than expected but she seems to be finding her niche.

Miles brings defensive energy but this team desperately need points off the bench. Wynn, unfortunately is not looking much different from last season- an unpolished but athletic player.

I think Puckett can hopefully get it going. Miles defensive intensity can be useful. At this point, I think it is getting time to narrow the rotation down to the starting five (assuming Rickea gets back in good graces) with sub minutes mainly going to Franklin, Hollingshead, Suarez, Puckett, and Miles.

A ten person rotation is not bad depth but there is a lack of outside shooting among all the sub options

So, Puckett and Suarez, who have decent looking shots, have to starting hitting some threes more consistently or this season will become a real slog.

You have a strange way of figuring, and it shows a bit of dumbness in that process as well ...good luck to you sir ....or maam whichever you are.
Still can’t produce an answer. Still flapping the gums with no proof. You have a good day, sir or ma’am.

Still can’t produce an answer. Still flapping the gums with no proof. You have a good day, sir or ma’am.
Pithy reply ...obviously you did not see the game or you have no understanding of the game of basketball.

Pithy reply ...obviously you did not see the game or you have no understanding of the game of basketball.
I know quite a bit about basketball. You popped off about how she cost the Lady Vols the game and I asked how you figure, then you start avoiding the question with some type of diversion technique about “did you watch the game”. And yet you still haven’t provided an answer to your logic. I saw her hustle ALOT. A lot harder than our regular starters and she was the second leading rebounder. So I guess i’ll go your route. Did YOU watch the game?

Reactions: Rickster
You know, I deleted a reply to you yesterday because I thought it was a little harsh after looking at some of your posting history that included posts that actually supported the team (even though I remembered some pretty caustic posts you made last year which made me hit the "ignore" icon). But today I see you calling our players "low IQ" and saying that Jordy should have entered the portal (among other cutting remarks).

So I've reconsidered. And when you said you "didn't care for" my comments and "smart@ss remarks," I'm reinstating my original response:

I don't give two healthy bowel movements what you care for.
Well then we finally agree on something. Because i frankly my dear dont give a ham

We’ve seen Sara be efficient on the block this year, but for some reason they’ve been using her on the perimeter even though her shot isn’t falling. Other than Rickea, Sara is the only person I have confidence in finishing around the rim. Hate to say it but it’s the truth. She’s big and and strong enough to post up the guards and she’s faster than the post players. Free my girl BK too. She’s been nothing but a steady spark and still can’t get any play.

Reactions: volforlife10
We’ve seen Sara be efficient on the block this year, but for some reason they’ve been using her on the perimeter even though her shot isn’t falling. Other than Rickea, Sara is the only person I have confidence in finishing around the rim. Hate to say it but it’s the truth. She’s big and and strong enough to post up the guards and she’s faster than the post players. Free my girl BK too. She’s been nothing but a steady spark and still can’t get any play.

I think she's hit that sophomore wall. It normally takes the shot away first. She'll battle through it. Her shot is too pure to not come back.

I think she's hit that sophomore wall. It normally takes the shot away first. She'll battle through it. Her shot is too pure to not come back.
I just thought that with Jill and Jas out that they would utilize her more in the post. She’s familiar playing the four and she’s good at it. See if that helps her get into a rhythm. It doesn’t help that she has such a short leash either.

Reactions: LV renaissance
I just thought that with Jill and Jas out that they would utilize her more in the post. She’s familiar playing the four and she’s good at it. See if that helps her get into a rhythm. It doesn’t help that she has such a short leash either.

They certainly could move her inside but they really need her to play through this and play her normal position. With Jillian, Jasmine and Karo down low, and hopefully returning soon, her minutes are best spent trying to play out of this funk. My worst fear is she has a dose of the same funk that got Jessie.

I also thought that Puckett would be a major contributor this year. Most of the time this year, she has that frozen self-conscious look that you see in Freshmen but less so in Sophomores who got decent experience as Freshmen. I know softball teams often get really silly on the sidelines to loosen up the nerves of their teammates before they go to bat. This team needs something like that, as it plays so tight for the most part. As noted above, it does make sense for Sara to get into the groove on the post. Even there, she hasn't looked in the flow so far but perhaps she just needs more time. With or without Rickea, this team needs some good three- point shooters who are confident to shoot in games. I think we have the first part of this equation, but we need the second part as well. Sara has the skills to do this and showed some moxie by hitting the game winning shot in the NCAA tournament last year.

VN Store

Back