Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Alabama

I think it's as simple as JH is not a consistent shooter, as she's said herself several times. We, and she, never know if the shot's going to be falling or not. Lots of other scoring options now though, and lots that JH is very consistent at.

I agree but the good thing is she is shooting the highest percentage of her career overall and from 3 so i hope that holds steady .... You can see her shot is more consistent than it has been in the past which i think even Jordy would agree wasn't consistent at all lol

Franklin, not Hollingshead, had the ACL tear,. Jillian had a minor procedure but did not miss significance time because of it. From her profile story on GOvols24/:

Thanks, i knew franklin was out with the ACL i just thought it was jill that had a prior and the scope was to check out the swelling that kept out her out.

Her significant amount of time was due to the knee swelling and mono i know she didn't play a good chunk of last year and was not consistent with play because of something. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
To the eye test, I would tend to agree, but as I posted elsewhere, the stats pretty clearly show that Striplin has been better (other than fouling):
  • Steals per 40 min: Striplin 2.1, Hollingshead 1.1
  • Steal %: Striplin 2.5%, Hollingshead 1.3%
  • Blocks per 40 min: Striplin 2.8, Hollingshead 1.9
  • Block %: Striplin 6.9%, Hollingshead 4.6%
  • Defensive rebounds per 40 min: Striplin 6.5, Hollingshead 6.1
  • Defensive rebound %: Striplin 16.1%, Hollingshead 15.3%
  • Defensive win shares: Striplin 0.5, Hollingshead 0.3
  • Player defensive rating (lower is better): Striplin 80.0, Hollingshead 88.2
  • Foul %: Striplin 7.7%, Hollingshead 5.4%

What I like best about these stats is that they indicate that they are both contributing in the post and can be counted upon to play hard. We don't miss a beat when either is in. And Franklin adds that experience and craftiness.

The Slam Sisters!

(Striplin's story is a great example for kids. Used very sparingly last year and at the beginning of this season, circumstances, necessity, and hard work have thrust her into a starting position. Good things come to those who wait...and keep a great attitude).

I agree but the good thing is she is shooting the highest percentage of her career overall and from 3 so i hope that holds steady .... You can see her shot is more consistent than it has been in the past which i think even Jordy would agree wasn't consistent at all lol

Last year Horston played with her shooting wrist heavily taped. Her shot and follow through look a lot smoother this year and I think the health of her wrist is why.

Last edited:
Only two moves I see viable in the starting lineup for changing it from what it is would be to move Jackson in and Puckett out. Or move Walker out and let Horston play the point. The way Striplin is playing right now on defense and 6 points 8 rebounds and 3 blocked shots in fifteen minutes she is solid as is Horston and Darby. So Puckett and Walker are the only places I see we could make a change.
Walker finally played a game we needed from a point guard hopefully this is the beginning for her to play every game like she played this one. Jackson starting over Puckett seems to be the no brainer as it gets another speedy player in there to go with Horston instead of three slower players playing together.

To the eye test, I would tend to agree, but as I posted elsewhere, the stats pretty clearly show that Striplin has been better (other than fouling):
  • Steals per 40 min: Striplin 2.1, Hollingshead 1.1
  • Steal %: Striplin 2.5%, Hollingshead 1.3%
  • Blocks per 40 min: Striplin 2.8, Hollingshead 1.9
  • Block %: Striplin 6.9%, Hollingshead 4.6%
  • Defensive rebounds per 40 min: Striplin 6.5, Hollingshead 6.1
  • Defensive rebound %: Striplin 16.1%, Hollingshead 15.3%
  • Defensive win shares: Striplin 0.5, Hollingshead 0.3
  • Player defensive rating (lower is better): Striplin 80.0, Hollingshead 88.2
  • Foul %: Striplin 7.7%, Hollingshead 5.4%

Where did you get the stats? I haven't seen a source that detailed. It would be a nice reference.

Last year Horston played with her shooting wrist heavily taped. Her shot and follow thorough look a lot smoother this year and I think the health of her wrist is why.
IMO the better % is bc she's not having to force so many shots due to having so much more scoring help. JH shot selection has been better.
Jackson starting over Puckett seems to be the no brainer
I'm afraid that's correct. Much as I want Sara to have minutes, you really can't bench Tess right now. And no, no, no to JH at point. So Sara for SEC 6th Woman of the Year.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Hollingshead is vastly superior to Striplin defensively.. Striplin is a solid player and yes she sets good screens. But her defense is just not very good. Hollingshead's defense today was preventing her player from even taking shots and her help defense was also good. So my evaluation is based on all facets of the game. Hollingshead is more inconsistent though
i
This statement is highly debatable IMO. Striplin's individual player defensive rating is over 8 points better than Hollingshead's.
i think vs cam brink of stanford karoline played better than jill on defence yes jill blocks better both do things better than the other vols need both to get mins so both will be better come ncaa and sec win or go home time

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
IMO the better % is bc she's not having to force so many shots due to having so much more scoring help. JH shot selection has been better.

I'm afraid that's correct. Much as I want Sara to have minutes, you really can't bench Tess right now. And no, no, no to JH at point. So Sara for SEC 6th Woman of the Year.

JH got in the gym with trainers over the summer and her dad... So I can def agree that the team scoring better and the work she put in are going hand in hand.

Also I agree. It would be Sara coming off the bench but we would need to leave Jordy, Rickea, or both on the floor and she can go to work. The line up with Jordy, Rickea, Tess, Sara and Karo did pretty good. Wouldn't want that to be an all the time thing but it's a viable option for spurts.

JH got in the gym with trainers over the summer and her dad... So I can def agree that the team scoring better and the work she put in are going hand in hand.

Also I agree. It would be Sara coming off the bench but we would need to leave Jordy, Rickea, or both on the floor and she can go to work. The line up with Jordy, Rickea, Tess, Sara and Karo did pretty good. Wouldn't want that to be an all the time thing but it's a viable option for spurts.

It’s a fun lineup because we can go 5 out with that combination on the floor. Would like to see Striplin pull the trigger on that top of key 3 more often. She has a great shot and teams are giving her the space.

It’s a fun lineup because we can go 5 out with that combination on the floor. Would like to see Striplin pull the trigger on that top of key 3 more often. She has a great shot and teams are giving her the space.

That is what Striplin can add. Last season, we saw the LVs and key struggle against team who had a post that could shoot from the perimeter. Key was caught in a constant should I or should I not, guard the perimeter dilemma. Striplin is capable of doing that to other teams.

The LVS shooting almost 54% from the field and 82% is way above the baseline for this team. [If this becomes their new normal, they would be great bet for the final four]

Plus, Jordan Walker had the game of the season and one of her all-time best tonight. Odds are that is not going to be her standard outing (please prove me wrong Jordan!!)

Having said that, there are some great signs of offensive development. More movement off the ball, nice back cuts for easy shots. Puckett is reading the game really well. The way she is playing, I don't want to see her minutes cut at all.

On the thing about good coaches developing players. Hollingshead is fast tracking at a pace that may be in violation of the law. She has gone from looking lost to a confident and skilled post. She still has some rough edges but Kellie's polishing machine is working overtime.

Look out SEC, Tess Darby's is coming for you. She is about to eliminate the narrative of not being able to create her own show with that little Steph Curry side step.

Justine is on the cusp. You can see some confidence when she putting the ball on the floor (and not turning it over). I know this game was only a cameo but that light bulb is about to go off.

Rickea is shooting around 70% from the field from the last 2 games. Honestly, I can see her shooting at something close to that for the rest of the season (unless someone brings Kryponite to the game).

The elephant in the room is giving up 76 points. The LVs great offensive game masked that shortcoming but they gave up way too many layups. Tamika called it just right in noting the team is still playing as though Key is there to guard the paint. The LVs have to do a better job keeping players in front of them.

Excellent summary as usual, MAD. Key was key to our defense, obviously. Learning to defend without her is a work in progress. We have to learn not to get beat off the bounce. Like you, I saw that happen too many times. But, in my unerfect memory, we are making progress on that front, as I saw a lot of examples when we did stay in front of the ball. From what I remember, I saw almost none of those in our earlier games. I think we are getting better on defense, and I hope that trajectory continues. BTW, we looked a LOT better on offense vs Bama.

I am going to venture a crazy reason why the LVs perform poorly in the 4th quarter of a game. I believe the starters are not accustomed to playing extended minutes due to frequent substitutions. They are unable to perform when they really need to perform well at the end of a game. I wonder what would be the LVs won-loss record if their previous games consisted of three 10 minutes quarters instead of 4? CKH maybe, just maybe shooting herself in the foot.
It could also be player's focus , having it is the reason Micheal Myers has been killing it for thirteen sequels ( actually twelve ) , continuities and reboots are master skills of the killer instinct. You gotta have the killer instinct .

Only two moves I see viable in the starting lineup for changing it from what it is would be to move Jackson in and Puckett out. Or move Walker out and let Horston play the point. The way Striplin is playing right now on defense and 6 points 8 rebounds and 3 blocked shots in fifteen minutes she is solid as is Horston and Darby. So Puckett and Walker are the only places I see we could make a change.
Walker finally played a game we needed from a point guard hopefully this is the beginning for her to play every game like she played this one. Jackson starting over Puckett seems to be the no brainer as it gets another speedy player in there to go with Horston instead of three slower players playing together.
I gotta give you the old fashion " Right on " ..

I am very worried about the LVs subpar performance in the 4th quarter of games even when they win. This disturbing idiosyncrasy cost them the game with Stanford. It is going to cost them more games in the future, (e.g., UConn, LSU, USC, Missouri, Arkansas). I hope CKH can identify and solve what is causing this problem.
They got very sloppy and became disorganized in the 4th. In times like that KJH might want to consider calling a timeout before things get out of hand.

Must be lucky cause we ain’t got a coach
We have a coach who is not doing things the way we wannabe coaches think she should. I say allow the season to play itself out. So far the team has looked very good in the last four games including against Stanford. I see a lot of improvement since the season started playing the hardest schedule in women’s basketball.

We have a coach who is not doing things the way we wannabe coaches think she should. I say allow the season to play itself out. So far the team has looked very good in the last four games including against Stanford. I see a lot of improvement since the season started playing the hardest schedule in women’s basketball.

agree. I hope you understood my post was sarcastic.

For everyone who watched the game, and felt like the 4th quarter was sloppy, that’s an understatement. I just watched the end of the game again, and here is what I wrote down.

We were at 81-61, a nice 20 point lead, then our players ….. (to stands for turnover).

AL made a 3, 81-64
5:47 Jill miss
5:17 Wynn in. Players: Walker, Wynn, Jill, Sara, Rickea
Sara miss layup, Rickea makes putback and foul shot, 84-64
5:10 Powell in for Walker
4:49 Jill misses 3 shots under the basket.
4:29 Wynn miss, fouled, misses 2 free throws
4:02 Sara out, Horston in. 84-68. Players: Powell, Wynn, Jill, Horston, Rickea
Jill makes 2 and 1, 87-70
Walker in, Wynn out
Starting at 2:50 gets really interesting.
Powell to
Walker to
Wynn in for Powell
Wynn to
Jill to
At 1:49, 87-72, players: Walker, Jill, Tess, Horston, Rickea
87-74
Horston to
Rickea fell, went out
Sara open with the ball, decides not to shoot, then passing till Walker layup gets blocked- to
87-76
Walker later makes 2 free throws
89-76

So, if I’m counting correctly, in the last 3 minutes of the game, in addition to missed shots, we had 6 turnovers. You can’t make this stuff up.

With the rankings/future seedings partially based on amount of win, points are important. Even with Horston and Rickea in the game, they needed good play around them. It was a really good win, it should have been a 20 point win.

we won...and for 3Q's they had no chance against us
No, I am not pleased with how it ended
but games like this used to end differently

VN Store

Back