Game Thread: Lady Vols vs. Alabama

Fatoldman- she led the team in rebounds and blocks today with the least amount of minutes. Clearly all you see is points. Striplin and Hollingshead are both solid post. Striplin does all the little things right, sets screens, boxes out, finds open players. Hell last game she had more assist than the point guard and she is a post. Doing her job to be effective dosent always mean points, but being a factor to allow others to score and open up lanes. Kudos to Hollingshead today she had a great game and between the two of them and Franklin the 5 slot will be well handled.
Hollingshead is vastly superior to Striplin defensively.. Striplin is a solid player and yes she sets good screens. But her defense is just not very good. Hollingshead's defense today was preventing her player from even taking shots and her help defense was also good. So my evaluation is based on all facets of the game. Hollingshead is more inconsistent though

Last edited:
Reactions: alexvol
Hollingshead is vastly superior to Striplin defensively.. Striplin is a solid player and yes she sets good screens. But her defense is just not very good. Hollingshead's defense today was preventing her player from even taking shots and her help defense was also good. So my evaluation is based on all facets of the game. Hollingshead is more inconsistent though

This statement is highly debatable IMO. Striplin's individual player defensive rating is over 8 points better than Hollingshead's.

I am very worried about the LVs subpar performance in the 4th quarter of games even when they win. This disturbing idiosyncrasy cost them the game with Stanford. It is going to cost them more games in the future, (e.g., UConn, LSU, USC, Missouri, Arkansas). I hope CKH can identify and solve what is causing this problem.

Last edited:
I am going to venture a crazy reason why the LVs perform poorly in the 4th quarter of a game. I believe the starters are not accustomed to playing extended minutes due to frequent substitutions. They are unable to perform when they really need to perform well at the end of a game. I wonder what would be the LVs won-loss record if their previous games consisted of three 10 minutes quarters instead of 4? CKH maybe, just maybe shooting herself in the foot.

My objection is calling what JH did today an "off" game. In fact, we should expect to see this alot - Rickea scoring alot, with JH doing the all around work in other areas and chipping in timely baskets. Kudos to JH for embracing this role. There will be games where circumstances dictate JH score more, but its her across the board contributions that will mean the most. This is why having RJ is so, so important, it frees JH to be the blue collar workhorse.

Exactly, 9 pts and 9 rebounds when lots of points are coming from other players is just fine and dandy. Jordan's defensive effort is always stellar and she did a good job breaking pressure. If she had one of her 3's, this would have been an A game. As it stands A-.

Also, need to swoon over Rickea. 10-14 is incredibly efficient with 7 boards, and 3 really nice assists. She is way more than just a scorer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. She contributed in so many ways. I don't know if there was an SEC game last season where Jordan Horston scored 9 points or less, and the team won by double digits. Also, it's very unlikely her scoring total will be that low next game.

It’s never passé in sports to sit your best player. Starting pitchers start, closers close. She’s having a season at this point on par with Holdclaw, Tameka and Parker…those teams were more talented and never came off the bench.

Not a good analogy IMO if you are saying RJ is our best player and therefore should start.
A lot of times the closer is a better pitcher than the starter.

Not a good analogy IMO if you are saying RJ is our best player and therefore should start.
A lot of times the closer is a better pitcher than the starter.

As you stated, in your opinion. Except closers don’t no more than 3 innings. So bring RJ in the 4th qtr and put this analogy to the test or really test it and play the final 6 mins. You good with that?

Last edited:
I don't know if there was an SEC game last season where Jordan Horston scored 9 points or less, and the team won by double digits. Also, it's very unlikely her scoring total will be that low next game.
This is why we were preseason ranked so high. The difference in this year and last is we have that extra mega talent - RJ - that allows JH her more natural role - across the board stat stuffer, but not necessarily the late game closer. And she may score lower in any upcoming game, or may go for 25. JH is so much more free to be now, and she deserves that.

I rewatched, mostly to hear my beloved Catch, and I'm still not that upset over the late game swoon. IMO it doesn't compare to what happened at Stanford at all. This game was very well in hand, the most talented team was in control. Hate to say it, but most of the problem was Powell, who had a couple of bad turnovers, some lapses on D, and some poor decisions. JP needs to be KJH next major reclamation project before she becomes too discouraged. Thankfully, Walker is playing some of the best ball of her LV career right now, but I don't think we can count on that.

Except closers don’t no more than 3 innings.
3 innings? The 90s called, they want their baseball back. These days it's a miracle if closers go 3 outs. One of my pet old man peeves is these incredibly over paid reliever babies who go into meltdown if they pitch more than one inning.

Another random thing brought up by my game buddy: what's up with the ritual of handing the player you are subbing in for a rolled up towel, only for that towel to be laid right back on the pile by the exiting player? The LVs have done some kind of handoff as long as I can remember, used to be a warm up they handed.

Two rules for when I get subbed out: do not hand me anything, and do not expect me to walk the whole length of the bench slapping every hand down to last manager. Probably why my playing time is lacking!

Tess was guarding Nye who came into the game shooting 47 percent from the three. She ended up in this game 0 for 2 from the three and only four points total so we won that matchup 16 to 4. When we went to the lineup of Hollingshead, Walker, Darby, Horston, and Jackson we went from a three point lead to a 13 point lead in about three minutes. Striplin on the boards 8 rebounds and 6 points in this game. Franklin only two minutes because Hollingshead and Striplin were just playing to well in this game. The duo ended up with 21 points and 15 rebounds in 40 minutes played. They were 9 of 17 from the field. To look closer at Striplin 6 points and 8 rebounds in 15 minutes and three blocks. She got in a little foul trouble or she probably plays more. Tennessee shoots 54 percent from the field and 81 from the line. Defense allowed 45 Alabama points in the second half and we still win by 13.

3 innings? The 90s called, they want their baseball back. These days it's a miracle if closers go 3 outs. One of my pet old man peeves is these incredibly over paid reliever babies who go into meltdown if they pitch more than one inning.
Typically yes, but to appease the poster who’s looking for the closer who happened to pitch 3 or more innings that one time. But you understand the point.

Reactions: glv98

Another random thing brought up by my game buddy: what's up with the ritual of handing the player you are subbing in for a rolled up towel, only for that towel to be laid right back on the pile by the exiting player? The LVs have done some kind of handoff as long as I can remember, used to be a warm up they handed.

Two rules for when I get subbed out: do not hand me anything, and do not expect me to walk the whole length of the bench slapping every hand down to last manager. Probably why my playing time is lacking!

Handing the towel is so there is no miscommunication as to who is subbing in for who. It would be really embarrassing to end up with 4 on the floor or 6 on the floor.

I'm with you on slapping every hand on the bench. Even more so, I don't like giving fives when you're going up and down the court (drives me nuts when LVs do it). I personally didn't like anyone touching me in between free throws. Okay teammate, don't break my concentration on free throw number 2, right?

VN Store

Back