Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. #22/25 ARKANSAS

I want to complement Coach Harper for engaging the fan base. It seems attendance and interest are back up which is a great sign. She seems to really want to connect with the student body and the community. Being a head coach is so much more than just what happens on the court. She’s doing an excellent job promoting her program and it feels exciting, even during this tough stretch.

I’m speaking specifically to our situation. All of the major programs have lost players due to tough coaching, because they can afford to. We have a thin bench and we’re way behind on recruiting due to the coaching change. If we lose several players we’re toast and she knows that.

The culture in women’s college basketball these days is much more delicate than it used to be. If players feel mistreated they leave. I’m certain she’s lit every single one of them up at different times this season, but you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Ummm....our players leave for places that win....places like Baylor and UConn. You think Evina was tough coached? Get oughta here.

Treat them like delicate flowers and you get 23 TOs. And you rack up losses, and you miss out on the Dance. And being the premier program in the sport once upon a time fades further in the distance, and top recruits tend to look elsewhere.

I want to complement Coach Harper for engaging the fan base. It seems attendance and interest are back up which is a great sign. She seems to really want to connect with the student body and the community. Being a head coach is so much more than just what happens on the court. She’s doing an excellent job promoting her program and it feels exciting, even during this tough stretch.

You're messing with us, right?

Reactions: olddog
Sadly, these days, the answer to that is “players.” You have to bite your tongue more these days or there is an NCAA investigation and half your team is in the transfer portal.

You think it’s bad now wait until the transfer rule is passed. I get the logic behind it, and I probably would vote yes, but it’s going to be wild. Jeff Walz gonna be all up in some opposing teams rosters lol

Reactions: VolBall09
Well said!!

You sound like you're promoting her for the head of the Chamber of Commerce. "What happens on the court" has everything to do with being a head coach. If you saw last night's game, it wasn't pretty.

Playing "small ball" was to play in their playground...what we were doing was working, we were right there until the Q3 12-4 run....after that...

Composure, Confidence,,,,Crisis,,,,Come unglued

We have to handle things better when they begin to go awry

Playing "small ball" was to play in their playground...what we were doing was working, we were right there until the Q3 12-4 run....after that...

Composure, Confidence,,,,Crisis,,,,Come unglued

We have to handle things better when they begin to go awry
The wheels really came off on the missed defensive possession where Arky got an uncontested layup then Lou and Horston screwed up the inbounds play. Tires went flat right there. Lou shouldn't have passed it in when she did and Horston should have cut across the face of the inbounder to receive the pass but she didn't. That was a huge blunder, then neither could get the rebound on the miss and Arky drained a three. Ball game. The final nail for the most part. We still had a chance but the hole was deep. Coach them all you want but players have to execute.

One thing we can say about every game this season no post player has dominated us it has always been a wing player or guard. We really lost too many players just like the men's team for one season. We lost three starters and two top subs off a team that went 19 and 13. We had two promising freshmen coming in but they are taking a while to get their games to this level of play. Future looks far brighter than the present. I think a quicker point guard or two and a couple of three point shooters gets this team over the hump. We don't have all we need this season I am pleased with most games we played. I was disappointed in Texas and LSU second game otherwise I think we've done all we can with this personnel.

One thing we can say about every game this season no post player has dominated us it has always been a wing player or guard. We really lost too many players just like the men's team for one season. We lost three starters and two top subs off a team that went 19 and 13. We had two promising freshmen coming in but they are taking a while to get their games to this level of play. Future looks far brighter than the present. I think a quicker point guard or two and a couple of three point shooters gets this team over the hump. We don't have all we need this season I am pleased with most games we played. I was disappointed in Texas and LSU second game otherwise I think we've done all we can with this personnel.
Stop it! You know you can't use common sense on here. What's wrong with you?

Stop it! You know you can't use common sense on here. What's wrong with you?
I'm just glad that a lot of these people aren't in control of the final decisions and have no say in how the direction of the women's basketball program will move forward. They always use other top coaches and say what could they have done with this team well I suspect close to the same. Schaeffer came within a possession of losing to Auburn last night, Walz a love bunny on this site was one free throw away from losing to UT Martin. Of course opinions can change at anytime as to whether this program is headed in the right direction. From the beginning of the season to this point I see nothing wrong with what we have done seems to be exactly what was to be expected from most Vol fans and also the experts.

The angst among the fans has a lot to do with remembering how dominant and relevant we used to be. Its tough to accept we are just another program now...and that the Pat Summitt era was just a one time thing. Kinda like Wooden at UCLA. We all hope we can come back to glory somehow. Things look bleak at that happening...but we keep hoping.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
One thing we can say about every game this season no post player has dominated us it has always been a wing player or guard.
Posts haven't had to dominate us, though Lord knows they could have, especially someone like Boston. But this seems to be the year of the quick, hot shooting guard or wing in the SEC so they get to eat our lunch.

Reactions: Rooster1
The wheels really came off on the missed defensive possession where Arky got an uncontested layup then Lou and Horston screwed up the inbounds play. Tires went flat right there. Lou shouldn't have passed it in when she did and Horston should have cut across the face of the inbounder to receive the pass but she didn't. That was a huge blunder, then neither could get the rebound on the miss and Arky drained a three. Ball game. The final nail for the most part. We still had a chance but the hole was deep. Coach them all you want but players have to execute.

I replayed that particular inbound play several times looking at Lou's eyes when she inbounding the ball. There guard was watching her eyes and slowly moving up anticipating the past the whole time Lou was looking down car when she made the pass. I'm not faulting Lube but things like that are loss of focus plays and fixable

Reactions: Orange Maniac
Usually you'd say one or two plays don't beat you but in our case, because we are so very fragile and so lacking in quality depth, it often happens. It was a hallmark of Holly's teams, once the snowball starting rolling downhill it quickly became an unstoppable avalanche.

KJH teams at least seem to have more fight and less quit in those situations so are able to claw back. Until one or two more plays happen that kill us off. Last night, we fought back to within four I think, had the ball, then (stop me if you've heard this before) threw an incredibly weak ill advised pass out front, got picked off and taken in for an easy layup AND we fouled in frustration. Rally dead, game truly over.
The angst among the fans has a lot to do with remembering how dominant and relevant we used to be. Its tough to accept we are just another program now
My particular angst isn't that at all. Its that the very same things that have been ailing us for so long - turnovers, lack of offensive flow, slow or no young player development continue to plague us.

Very reasonable to argue that KJH has had neither the time nor the roster, with all the unfortunate player losses, to correct these things. I'm definitely not giving up on her. But I am a bit disappointed and worried that these things seem not to have improved a bit over the course of this season. You'd think experience alone would bring some itty bitty bit of improvement.

The Lady Vols are athletic but what is their basketball comprehensionIIQ. I am sure that KJH and her staff have gone over the basics many times, however, most of our players do not seem to fully get it. Common basketball knowledge should tell you that you are more likely to get a rebound if you jump instead of acting like your shoes are nailed to the floor. Under 6 feet guards should not be constantly out rebounding one of the tallest basketball teams in women’s college basketball. Players, especially 5 Stars, should know how to block out and to set picks. They should also realize that lazy passes will kill you. Players should realize that it is impossible to throw a basketball through the eye of a needle. In blocking any shot you jump straight up and not at the player. It does not mean you touched the player, however, some refs will call a foul though you have not touched the player.

Heart and being physical you can demand both but you can’t really teach them. Heart and being physical is an attitude. That is one reason when you recruit you look for players who need little motivation to show heart and to be physical.

KJH is a leader. She showed that as a player. She also has heart which she displayed as a player. Her MoState team had heart and they were physical and I am sure she is frustrated that several Lady Vols are not physical or display heart for 4 quarters.

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back