Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. #22/25 ARKANSAS

It’s probably best we leave the Emily situation alone instead of starting the rumor mill. Sometimes it’s better to let people have their privacy.

I agree. I should not have even speculated that, was just thinking out loud.

It’s been in the back of my mind for a while. Never something I like to speculate about, she could have the flu or something.

Her attitude on the bench always seems good so I feel like she understands why she hasn’t been playing. Just hard for all of us to understand.

It’s a big transitions from high school to college in terms of academics. Plus playing a sport makes it even more difficult.
If that's the case it would be a shame to lose her.she seems like she has a good spirit.

This game pretty much sums up the current state of the LVs - maddeningly inconsistent, enough boneheadedness to make you sick but enough flashes of good stuff to keep you interested.

Came out sharp, focused, had a very good first quarter, moving the ball nicely, getting layups. Getting the ball into Key who in spite of a couple of blown bunnies, played pretty well. Decision to start Rae looked good, she was very effective early. Only neg was Jaz had a looser handle than she usually does.

Seems like when subbing started in the 2nd qtr the bad juju started to happen. Our offensive rhythm is so very fragile that any change seems to upset the apple cart. Davis went out, which seems to cause mental panic immediately on the floor, the offense went stagnant and the LV charity giveaway operation cranked up. Didn't help that refs swallowed their whistles and Arky started hitting 3s we couldn't guard at the same time.

Looked like we quit, then we didn't. Good move to the smaller lineup since Key by that time had mentally checked out, good situational switching late: Rennie for offense since she was on, Jaz for D since Rennie just, well you know. Nice display of heart and effort late but too little too late to overcome our turnovers and their guards dominance over our step too slow defense.

Seems right now we are who we thought we were - better than last year since we routinely beat bottom feeders (I hope, see next 3 games) come close and often beat ourselves against middlin to good teams, and out of our depth with elite teams. I'm glad for that improvement, but disappointed there hasn't been more improvement over the course of the season in the areas that have longed plagued us.

Not sure how much I think those persistent bugaboos are the fault of bad coaching, players who just don't have the skill to make better plays, or talented players who are just young and inexperienced. Probably a combination of all.

This game pretty much sums up the current state of the LVs - maddeningly inconsistent, enough boneheadedness to make you sick but enough flashes of good stuff to keep you interested.

Came out sharp, focused, had a very good first quarter, moving the ball nicely, getting layups. Getting the ball into Key who in spite of a couple of blown bunnies, played pretty well. Decision to start Rae looked good, she was very effective early. Only neg was Jaz had a looser handle than she usually does.

Seems like when subbing started in the 2nd qtr the bad juju started to happen. Our offensive rhythm is so very fragile that any change seems to upset the apple cart. Davis went out, which seems to cause mental panic immediately on the floor, the offense went stagnant and the LV charity giveaway operation cranked up. Didn't help that refs swallowed their whistles and Arky started hitting 3s we couldn't guard at the same time.

Looked like we quit, then we didn't. Good move to the smaller lineup since Key by that time had mentally checked out, good situational switching late: Rennie for offense since she was on, Jaz for D since Rennie just, well you know. Nice display of heart and effort late but too little too late to overcome our turnovers and their guards dominance over our step too slow defense.

Seems right now we are who we thought we were - better than last year since we routinely beat bottom feeders (I hope, see next 3 games) come close and often beat ourselves against middlin to good teams, and out of our depth with elite teams. I'm glad for that improvement, but disappointed there hasn't been more improvement over the course of the season in the areas that have longed plagued us.

Not sure how much I think those persistent bugaboos are the fault of bad coaching, players who just don't have the skill to make better plays, or talented players who are just young and inexperienced. Probably a combination of all.

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that we CAN score 29 points in a quarter. But often score fewer than 10. Seems when we’re down in the fourth they start actually attacking offensively. If we would do that for 40 minutes we’d blow everyone out by 25.

Love, love Davis; her improvement both as a player and in mental toughness is probably the signature achievement of the KJH era so far. That said, IMO she is nowhere near ready for the WNBA and not about to transfer. Her leaving is far down my LV worry list.

So a few positives and a question. No need to go over negatives as they will be discussed ad nauseam by fair weather fans.
29 point 4Q
Cleaned up TOS somewhat in 2nd half. 8 vs 15
Held Arky to 40%, they are a good shooting team
Shot 88% on FT, think last game was more of an aberration
Rae one rebound from a double,double. Man she has made leaps from last year.
Jordan and Key both had better scoring games. Hopefully this will continue. Game has got to slow down for them. I think they are getting close.
Arky had 19 Fts to our 9. Made 16vs our 8. Diff in final score
Out rebounded them by 15. I need to look this up but I think our rebounding difference is pretty high both SEC and nationally.
Rennie comes alive 3/4. Keep it coming Aussie!!

My question for the technicians among us:
Jazz had 4 TOs tonight. She has been super clean on this most of the yes. BTW, another kid who has improved dramatically from last year.
Was there some specific defensive set that was causing her problems?

Finally, I am still fuming over a putz calling our kids garbage/trash on another thread. This is unacceptable for an adult to be so ignorant as to use those terms for 18 -20 year old young women. What sort of loser does that?

Just don't look toward the rafters when your players make dumb mistakes. Get their attention, make eye contact - and make your displeasure known.

Try it, coach. What have you got to lose?

Just don't look toward the rafters when your players make dumb mistakes. Get their attention, make eye contact - and make your displeasure known.

Sadly, these days, the answer to that is “players.” You have to bite your tongue more these days or there is an NCAA investigation and half your team is in the transfer portal.

Reactions: aretha57
Couple more stats.
We are top five nationally on blocks per game and rebound differential.
Things to build on.
Also looked at free throw percentages. Interesting almost all small schools or mid majors.

Jazz had 4 TOs tonight. She has been super clean on this most of the yes. BTW, another kid who has improved dramatically from last year.
Was there some specific defensive set that was causing her problems?
I didn't think so, just thought she seemed off tonight from the get go. Very damaging for us and very unusual since she is by far our best ballhandler. You expect, hell probably plan for Rae and Jordan to make their five or six, and they did. But not Jaz.

In an article from the Chattanooga paper posted earlier today KJH discussed consequences for t,o.s and of course she's made her displeasure known. Including making them run for every t.o., which should make those who are sure punishment is the answer happy. They've watched film, they've run drills. She's used benching, which is why Jordan isn't starting right now. Arguable how effective that's been, seems to have helped Rae to start but dang if Jordan doesn't get her 5 or 6 t.o.s in no matter how few mins she plays. Bottom line KJH feels it's now on the players to clean up their acts.

Disagree....If a players leaves because of hard coaching you're not going to win big with them anyway....I don't see hard coaching being a issue at Baylor....USCe...Miss State...A&M...ND..UConn. If you have to coach soft then you've got bigger issues than you can fix.

Sadly, these days, the answer to that is “players.” You have to bite your tongue more these days or there is an NCAA investigation and half your team is in the transfer portal.

There are plenty of places where players can go to be coddled. Those teams make up the vast majority of teams ranked 65 - 300+.

Last edited:
Reactions: southerngirl
Disagree....If a players leaves because of hard coaching you're not going to win big with them anyway....I don't see hard coaching being a issue at Baylor....USCe...Miss State...A&M...ND..UConn. If you have to coach soft then you've got bigger issues than you can fix.

All of those, aside from ND, are teams that can afford to lose a player or two. If we have 3 transfers we’re fielding a high school team in the SEC.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I don’t. I just hope the players around her elevate their game and intensity. I’d hate to lose her.
She 's one of the SEC leading scorer and she stays shooting around that 18 per average mark tho'
she's capable of 25 per game. The last two games
RD been outscored by Sugar Rea averaging 19-20.
Rennie need to up her game and we need another
scorer, Jas or Jordan. Brown needs replacing with Jordan .

Going back to Ky game we came back the same way. Pressure small lineup. I hope we we play more rest of the way. Key is a difference maker though on D because of her shot blocking ability. She right now however does not know how to use her feet on offense down low. I still start Key and bring Lou and Jessi off bench some McCoy. Seen enough of KK and Harris.

There are plenty of places where players can go to be coddled. Those teams make up the vast majority of teams ranked 63 - 300+.

I’m speaking specifically to our situation. All of the major programs have lost players due to tough coaching, because they can afford to. We have a thin bench and we’re way behind on recruiting due to the coaching change. If we lose several players we’re toast and she knows that.

The culture in women’s college basketball these days is much more delicate than it used to be. If players feel mistreated they leave. I’m certain she’s lit every single one of them up at different times this season, but you reach a point of diminishing returns.

Reactions: aretha57
All of those, aside from ND, are teams that can afford to lose a player or two. If we have 3 transfers we’re fielding a high school team in the SEC.
It's why you recruit....You get players that you can coach hard and not ones who pout and leave. Can't win with those types.

Reactions: VolBall09

Lack of quality depth...

VN Store

Back