Game Thread: Lady Vols v UCONN; Thurs. 8PM; on ESPN

Our coach decision to not start Horston was pivotal it could have been us getting off to a fast start and possibly overwhelming UCONN where the second quarter to halftime we could’ve been up by double digits.maybe UCONN claws back with a handful of players which could have gassed them in the second half and even if they came back we could have had a lead where if they made a run it could’ve been neck and neck going down to the final minutes and anyone’s game I know we cut the lead to 4 at halftime but the first half still set the tone which our coach blew

And Dorka is trash.

Dorka is trash? She's in the 90+ percentile in the entire NCAA at 2pt. FG%, defensive rebounds per game, rebounds per game, assists per game (as a post player!!!), blocks per game, and (least) fouls per game...and in advanced metrics, in PER, win shares, offensive AND defensive win shares, player offensive AND defensive rating. Sure, trash.

Tough loss on national television at home, but the team seemed to play hard, particularly in the 2Q.

This game was lost in the high school recruiting process and summer camp rotations 6 or 7 years ago, when the Tennessee women's basketball program was mired in mediocrity and top shelf talent didn't give Tennessee a second thought, preferring and staying with those programs than never fell off or lost their way.

She will stay, she knows next year she will most likely start and get big minutes. We won’t have many options besides her.
Not a guarantee. Darby and Puckett will likely start at the 2 and 3. I guess Striplin at the 4 and Jill at the 5 (unless Key comes back).

You know what's weird? Auriemma was just as pissed at the refs as the UT fans. In the end the refs didn't win or lose the game, nor did the announcers. Two good teams played a game and the better team won. Tennessee shot 39% and made 10 free throws. They were 36% for 3s. UConn shot 55% and made 10 free throws. They were 57% from outside. That kind of says it all.

"This is what you always get when you come here" was more than pissed. Every time I think I can finally let go of a little bit of the hate ...

We lost by 17 at home to their B team and we’ve got people claiming a moral victory. Jeez this program has cratered.
I still part of the problem is many of our players are not in good basketball shape. they can not run the floor on offense or defense. We have some players who can shoot the three if they are not guarded. They have difficulty is getting their shot off the dribble. Houston is the only one who can do it. They also have only one move off the dribble and are very predictable.

My only problem is that Wynn , Miles , Lil Darby should have gotten some playing time. Its great to be on the court in this great rivalry if nothing else but to experience it on the floor. Every Lady Vol should have played.

Reactions: orange beard
Is what it is............... Rickea didn't have the best performance, however, don't think they can't win it.............

while I have nothing against Coach Harper (don't know the woman), she just isn't the coach that 5 star players watch and think...oh i really want to play for her; additionally, she can't take a group of 3/4 star players and create something special, not many coaches can - maybe none. if we don't get it this year...remember La Tech and Old Domininon???

Has been about defense all season. Keep talking about getting better, but when you let a team shoot 60 percent your not getting better. We have some players that can play defense some of them don't start or play enough minutes. Your not winning games giving up over 80 points not going to happen. I don't see the defense getting any better to late in the season and we've had plenty of time to get better. It comes down to personnel and after about four players were really very untalented.
I don't know who determines who guards who, but some very weird matchups tonight. Walker should not have been on Senegal Lopez and Horston on Muhl definitely should've switched there.
Geno got his point across got every foul he wanted in the second half of the game.

Dorka is trash? She's in the 90+ percentile in the entire NCAA at 2pt. FG%, defensive rebounds per game, rebounds per game, assists per game (as a post player!!!), blocks per game, and (least) fouls per game...and in advanced metrics, in PER, win shares, offensive AND defensive win shares, player offensive AND defensive rating. Sure, trash.
She is, trust. Her metrics are against a shite big East conference.

True, but the point stands. This team doesn't run offense to get shooters and lanes open. They all stand around waiting for something to happen.

And that's my point. If you can get Darby or another shooter like Puckett knocking down 3s that will make their guards cover and open up the post Did Pissot play? It seems she only plays 5 minutes a game. Maybe play her for 10-15 minutes to see what she's got. She was a McDonald's All American.

Reactions: Voluble2
That will not happen the 2023 class is done back to the portal ?

Maybe but I’d be fundraising for NIL if that is a problem and get back in on Cambridge or another elite playmaker in 24. Simply cannot go another class without an elite perimeter player and expect success.

Reactions: Memvol44
Y’all, I was close enough to the court I could hear Horston’s labored breathing, so I’m not sure starting her would have made any difference.

Also, Connecticut had one of those magical shooting nights that make it extremely difficult for a team on the other end of it to not get totally deflated.

I hate it for the team, and I’m still proud of the way they fought.

Has been about defense all season. Keep talking about getting better, but when you let a team shoot 60 percent your not getting better. We have some players that can play defense some of them don't start or play enough minutes. Your not winning games giving up over 80 points not going to happen. I don't see the defense getting any better to late in the season and we've had plenty of time to get better. It comes down to personnel and after about four players were really very untalented.
I don't know who determines who guards who, but some very weird matchups tonight. Walker should not have been on Senegal Lopez and Horston on Muhl definitely should've switched there.
Geno got his point across got every foul he wanted in the second half of the game.

Horston should have been on Senegal Lopez

Reactions: Volfan2012
Hard to admit, but UT just isn't overly talented and too slow versus elite teams. If Horston and Jackson don't come back, not to mention Key UT will be a bubble team next season. Wynn Hollingshead Miles Striplin Darby Suarez Powell Pissott and Puckett. That's not a top 35 team.

I do need to give props to Horston. What a game young lady!!

VN Store

Back