Game Thread: Lady Vols v Mizzou 3 PM Sunday at Mizzou, SEC+ (stream)

Franklin fouled out of this game or expect it would've been her in there on that last play. Overall we got 24 points out of the center position but not a lot of rebounding. The top rebounders were Puckett with five and Powell with five. Overall the stats that help you win were dreadfully close. What an awful performance on the boards for Tennessee. We turned it over 13 time to their 11. Offensive boards were 10 to 10.
I figure we would at least been plus 15 in rebounds had Horston been able to play.
The win was something of a miracle everything had to go right and it did.

Franklin fouled out of this game or expect it would've been her in there on that last play. Overall we got 24 points out of the center position but not a lot of rebounding. The top rebounders were Puckett with five and Powell with five. Overall the stats that help you win were dreadfully close. What an awful performance on the boards for Tennessee. We turned it over 13 time to their 11. Offensive boards were 10 to 10.
I figure we would at least been plus 15 in rebounds had Horston been able to play.
The win was something of a miracle everything had to go right and it did.

Per the stat sheet on page 30 of this thread JF did not foul out. She had 4 PFs.

Defense man. Jazz Franklin is tough to score on and a great rebounder. Love that she’s usually on the floor to close the game. Very mature young woman.
Agree. Experienced, high basketball iQ, and a winner. Does the things that dont always show up in scorebook. Great attitude and effort. Her +- and effciency stats usually are very good.. Even though her injury has hindered her athleticism she has been a valuable addition.

For those watching the last basket on an endless loop, and you know you are, isolate on TK's reaction. I'm happy to announce she too has added 4 inches to her vertical jump!

Great set up by Jordan W, great pass JP! That time the ball did NOT get stuck in her hand! So calm and collected by all, especially impressive since everyone in America knew exactly what play was coming.

Also, please get well soon Jordy.

Something's happening.....What it is, is exactly clear!
11588421.JPG

Text book jump shot. Only a matter of time before it started to drop.

Well there's run of the mill bad takes and then there's laughable cuckoo bad takes that live only to be provocative. The original poster is a pro at finding turds among the roses, and I believe an ardent Holly fan.

I actually thought RJ's mo got broken when KJH took her out after the first bogus foul. It was a tough coaching call, and I get she didn't want RJ to get another quick foul. But RJ was SOOOO hot and locked in, and as it turned out, she sat all that time then came back and got the second bogus foul fairly quickly anyway and sat the rest of the half. So the result was 20 minutes of gametime before she got another shot! With 20/20 hindsight I would have left her in while she was hot; if she had picked up the second foul the result would have been the same.

Yes, that seemed like an overly cautious substitution. In hindsight, I now wonder if Kellie had planned to sub Rickea anyway? It is not conventional to take a player out just because of a lone foul (two is the normal magic #). As the season goes, it appears more and more that Kellie has an informal minutes limit on both Rickea and Jordan Horston. Perhaps it is a strategy to keep them fresh for clutch time. I think with Rickea, Kellie wants her to maintain a high effort on the defensive and rebounding side. And she may also may be thinking longer term about now wearing out her star players before the tournament portion of the season kicks in.

Yes, that seemed like an overly cautious substitution. In hindsight, I now wonder if Kellie had planned to sub Rickea anyway? It is not conventional to take a player out just because of a lone foul (two is the normal magic #). As the season goes, it appears more and more that Kellie has an informal minutes limit on both Rickea and Jordan Horston. Perhaps it is a strategy to keep them fresh for clutch time. I think with Rickea, Kellie wants her to maintain a high effort on the defensive and rebounding side. And she may also may be thinking longer term about now wearing out her star players before the tournament portion of the season kicks in.
My speculation is KJH was thinking about giving RJ a brief rest, probably weighing pros and cons since she was so hot, but the first foul settled the deal. Hindsight, it was overcautious.

I do think KJH has a minutes plan for everyone and really likes to adhere to it. But as we saw yesterday, when push comes to shove KJH knows who to have in the game and who to go to. RJ played the whole 2nd half outside a brief breather early in the 4th.

KJH keeps talking about liking the combo of RJ and Sara playing together. I kinda liked that combo myself yesterday

I wonder if there's any possibility Rickea starts and JH comes off the bench Thursday, espec if she's still in recovery mode.

BTW, when it looked like we were going to lose, I thought, oh sh*t, it was a "trap" game!

My speculation is KJH was thinking about giving RJ a brief rest, probably weighing pros and cons since she was so hot, but the first foul settled the deal. Hindsight, it was overcautious.

I do think KJH has a minutes plan for everyone and really likes to adhere to it. But as we saw yesterday, when push comes to shove KJH knows who to have in the game and who to go to. RJ played the whole 2nd half outside a brief breather early in the 4th.

KJH keeps talking about liking the combo of RJ and Sara playing together. I kinda liked that combo myself yesterday

I wonder if there's any possibility Rickea starts and JH comes off the bench Thursday, espec if she's still in recovery mode.

BTW, when it looked like we were going to lose, I thought, oh sh*t, it was a "trap" game!
No such thing.. 😉

I'm seeing Tess play a lot of help defense against bigs when they get the ball low against us. She's coming up with steals that way.
They had seen this on film apparently bc a couple of times yesterday when Tess tried to help off for a steal like that her man got a wide open back door layup. That steal is a gamble, if you go for it better get it. or at least make sure they can't pass out of it.

lord there are some bad takes in this forum. No rickea was not “lost” being the go to today. she handled business and hit the game winning shot. The “Uconn is injured” bull crap also has to stop, every team overcomes injuries. Plus they are starting to get key players back. It’s not like we aren’t without a star player (in tamaria) and a key role player (in marta). Uconn is still full of stars with the roster they have. It will be a good win even if they are depleted in depth.

Agree, and quite honestly, I don't see the Lady Vols winning the game against UConn even if Horston is available. 1)the Lady Vols are flat out outcoached, 2)the Huskies won't take a possession off, 3)the ball won't get stuck in the hands of one person, 4)the Huskies won't run the same 1999 offense, 5)...6)...7)

Agree, and quite honestly, I don't see the Lady Vols winning the game against UConn even if Horston is available. 1)the Lady Vols are flat out outcoached, 2)the Huskies won't take a possession off, 3)the ball won't get stuck in the hands of one person, 4)the Huskies won't run the same 1999 offense, 5)...6)...7)

Because it is in Knoxville, I see it as a 50/50 game. But if you don't see the vast improvement in our offensive sets this year, I can't help you. Defense seems to have faded, but the offense and ball movement is much better.

Because it is in Knoxville, I see it as a 50/50 game. But if you don't see the vast improvement in our offensive sets this year, I can't help you. Defense seems to have faded, but the offense and ball movement is much better.

Offensive is definitely clicking better. If Jordan Horston can't go, I don't have much hope but if she is fine, I think a 50-50 is a good call. My source of optimism is how well the LVs pushed a better team, Stanford, and the LVs have improved across the board since that game. So, (with Jordan), maybe it is 51-49 leaning toward the LVs

Last edited:
I'm seeing Tess play a lot of help defense against bigs when they get the ball low against us. She's coming up with steals that way.
Yessssss! I love when she helps cause she does it the right way. She doesn’t come to help with her hands up, she digs at the ball in an attempt to steal or tie up!! I LOVE IT!

Well there's run of the mill bad takes and then there's laughable cuckoo bad takes that live only to be provocative. The original poster is a pro at finding turds among the roses, and I believe an ardent Holly fan.

Rickea Jackson has been accused of many things, but failure to embrace the star role has never been one of them. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just the role she's had at every level the last ten years or so. Ask Vic Shaffer. RJ had a loving embrace of the feature role the first few mins of the game yesterday. Did ya'll see that screen shot of RJ during the time out before the last shot? Completely locked and loaded for the upcoming star turn. Most asssuredly NOT afraid. Of nothing.

I actually thought RJ's mo got broken when KJH took her out after the first bogus foul. It was a tough coaching call, and I get she didn't want RJ to get another quick foul. But RJ was SOOOO hot and locked in, and as it turned out, she sat all that time then came back and got the second bogus foul fairly quickly anyway and sat the rest of the half. So the result was 20 minutes of gametime before she got another shot! With 20/20 hindsight I would have left her in while she was hot; if she had picked up the second foul the result would have been the same.

I said from the day RJ committed I just hope she has fun and enjoys her Sr yr. Sometimes we forget how tumultuous her career has been, mostly through no fault of her own. I want to see her get to her first NCAA tourney, thrive, and have good memories as an LVFL.
I so agree!! I felt really bad that RK’s college experience had not been what she had envisioned and really wanted her to have an amazing senior year! Like you I wanted her to have success on the court but also to find those lifelong friends and mentors that are such an important part of college. I feel like, although RK was a star the minute she walked in the door, Kellie and staff have helped her develop a more complete game. Hopefully RK sees herself as a true LVFL and stays in touch and comes back to visit often!

I so agree!! I felt really bad that RK’s college experience had not been what she had envisioned and really wanted her to have an amazing senior year! Like you I wanted her to have success on the court but also to find those lifelong friends and mentors that are such an important part of college. I feel like, although RK was a star the minute she walked in the door, Kellie and staff have helped her develop a more complete game. Hopefully RK sees herself as a true LVFL and stays in touch and comes back to visit often!
Hate we didn’t have her all 4 years! 😩😢

When are folks going to stop making all those references about UCONN injuries every single day.
Tennessee has played one of the toughest schedules in the country with several players Jillian Hollingshead, Jasmine Franklin, Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson, Tamari Key (out for the season) and Marta Suarez (out for the season) being sidelined for games.
It’s part of basketball.
Preach on brother

I can agree but not for any of the reasons you mentioned. Were still the underdogs cause they will be bringing 9 five star players to play us. We have three rated that high. The out coaching is ridiculous. Why don't he coach Vandy and see how he does. He has always had the best players for most of the last 15 years. Their offense looks like anyone else offense they just make more shots than other teams. We've got a shot at them even if they have far more talent. I like the way Harper coaches for the most part. What she is always missing is enough bigtime talent and that more than anything will be her downfall. You need those superstar players at every position.

UCONN isn’t far more talented than Tennessee. TN was Preseason #5 ranked team in the country.
They haven’t loss games due to talent, they loss because the team was not ready to sustain consistent play week in and week out facing one of the most difficult schedules in basketball.
If TN wins which there’s a good chance, it’ll be because Rickea Jackson is the best player on the floor and the young skilled players in Puckett, Striplin, Hollingshead (all 4🌟🌟🌟🌟) have continued to develop on the floor along with the proven veterans Franklin, Powell, Tess, and Walker.
Jordan Horston status is still unknown for this game.
With both teams healthy, Rickea would still be arguably the most talented player on the court.

I can agree but not for any of the reasons you mentioned. Were still the underdogs cause they will be bringing 9 five star players to play us. We have three rated that high. The out coaching is ridiculous. Why don't he coach Vandy and see how he does. He has always had the best players for most of the last 15 years. Their offense looks like anyone else offense they just make more shots than other teams. We've got a shot at them even if they have far more talent. I like the way Harper coaches for the most part. What she is always missing is enough bigtime talent and that more than anything will be her downfall. You need those superstar players at every position.
He may not have nine to bring.

VN Store

Back