Game Thread: LADY VOLS AT AUBURN

I have never seen a team where every player's basketball IQ IS ZERO.

The other team was baiting Tennessee players to try to steal on the pass. Our spacial awareness is none existent they cannot see trouble coming if we could get a mental pic of where people are maybe we could reduce some of the turnovers. I have to say that Jazmine has improved, may be hard to see that today but she has.

Unique Thompson their inside post only got three shots today. If we caused that now that was awesome defense cause she can score. If they decided not to get it to her then terrible coaching job by Auburn. I didn't get a good look at many possessions I was to mad about the dumb turnover after dumb turnover we were committing.
Tennessee shut Thompson down. She had no space to operate in the paint, and she's damn good at navigating around bigger players. The size of Tennessee's guards made it difficult to get Unique the ball.

They did an A+ defensive effort on her IMO.

So a long time ago, I said a good season for KJH first team would be 20 wins, a mid pack SEC reg season finish, beat who we should beat, keep NCAA streak alive and win at least one game in both tournaments. Check off all so far.

But it sure hasn't been easy or pretty, mostly b/c of our own self-destruction. Turnovers are the obvious villain, and once again today, the bulk of the t.o.s belong to the big 3 cough-uppers, Horston, Burrell, and Davis. With 6, 5 and 3, they accounted for over half our ridiculous total. Rennie kicked in 3 in just 13 mins, so there's 17 of our 24. I have no hope this is going to get under control this season, and will undoubtably be our eventual undoing.

Poor Jordan, and poor KJH figuring out what to do with her. IMO she was right to give Jordan the quick hook when she came in and immediately started her give away routine. But once the offense went stagnant, you had to use her b/c she will move aggressively toward the basket, unlike almost everyone else. Perfect microcosm of JH season, hit the winning shot and then tried feverishly to give it away. She desperately needs the clean slate a new season will bring.

I usually don't like criticizing Davis b/c we'd be worse than Ole Miss without her double double machine. But she did appear to take plays off on defense and still will make the bonehead mistake at crucial times. The last foul call was lame, but she should never have gotten close enough in that pushing match to risk the call. She seems tired to me, not the same since the flu.

Finally, I NEVER criticize Jaz but she must be a bit more aggressive offensively. I so, so appreciate her five assists to only one t.o., also 5 pts, 5 rebs, a steal and a key block. Very solid, as she has been all year. Crazy as it sounds for this team though, she may be too careful, too cautious. She must drive and dish more, show a little more forward momentum on offense.

Hard to remember, but we played a lovely first 6 mins. Then the KJH sub machine started . . .
As an official, you can't call that foul on Davis!!! Let the players play the game!! It was even a bad flop at that...

As an official, you can't call that foul on Davis!!! Let the players play the game!! It was even a bad flop at that...
Agree it was a flop that should have been a noncall. And yet, Davis extended her arm in a pushing motion that gave Ole Whistle Happy just enough to call it.

Agree it was a flop that should have been a noncall. And yet, Davis extended her arm in a pushing motion that gave Ole Whistle Happy just enough to call it.
Couldn't afford a tech. But after the game I hope Kellie ripped into those refs!!!!

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
The other team was baiting Tennessee players to try to steal on the pass. Our spacial awareness is none existent they cannot see trouble coming if we could get a mental pic of where people are maybe we could reduce some of the turnovers. I have to say that Jazmine has improved, may be hard to see that today but she has.

Jazz is really doing a nice job, I honestly think she needs to be more selfish. She or Rennia should control the ball the majority of the time. Players like Horston, Burrell, Brown and Rennie should only receive the ball in a position to score.

A pushing motion is not a foul.

Correct, and the Auburn player created the contact. That was what Rennia was discussing with the official. She bodied up against Rennia, not the other way around. Then flung herself backwards. They did it all night and it was annoying.

It was clearly a strategy they discussed, they were throwing themselves into the bodies of our players and the officials bit on it every single time. It’s actually astonishing we did win with 24 turnovers and 11 fewer foul shots,

The game had a favorable flow for the Lady Vols until
McCoy entered the game .
Harris reminded everyone why Holly kept her on the bench. Too many makeable shots missed.

Reactions: SandyO
You'd be very surprised; no injury, no redshirt, and an extremely intelligent girl with no academic issues. Watching practices, she straight bullies Key in the post; Key can never get the ball, much less get a shot off. Saunders is an extremely talented player, coaches just refuse to let her play. Her and Key in the game at the same time would be a nightmare for teams.

I have trouble believing this as it goes against everything Coach Harper has said about her substitution policy.

You say this like you’ve seen practices. If that’s truly the case you probably shouldn’t be posting any information here related to the program, players status with the team, or coaching decisions.

I also doubt what you’re saying as I don’t think she has been asked one single time in a presser why Saunders hasn’t played. To me that indicates it’s not on the table for discussion and media members were likely notified.

Not to knock new posters, but your account was created just a couple weeks ago. I often feel like nega-Vols are creating duplicate accounts to push whatever rhetoric they’ve clung to at the moment.

Last edited:
IMO Jaz made the hidden play of the game. She picked the AUB girl's pocket at the top of the key with about a minute left. It resulted in a jump ball and AUB retained it. No big deal, right? Until 13 seconds left and Lou gets tied up after a rebound. LVs retain possession ... because of Jaz's great hidden play 60 seconds earlier.

IMO Jaz made the hidden play of the game. She picked the AUB girl's pocket at the top of the key with about a minute left. It resulted in a jump ball and AUB retained it. No big deal, right? Until 13 seconds left and Lou gets tied up after a rebound. LVs retain possession ... because of Jaz's great hidden play 60 seconds earlier.
She also made a key block earlier, and a big steal when AU was closing. Missed the layup but Davis tipped it in. Hell just 5 assists to 1 turnover is miraculous for this bunch! Jaz has been rock solid all year.

That said, she needs to take the next step and bring some forward momentum to the offense. I believe she could drive and dish alot more.

Last edited:
Jazz has lots of potential and athletic ability. Last year was a lost year for her due to lack of coaching so it is almost like she is a FR. She is not necessarily a shooter, but I do think she is a scorer.

Reactions: glv98
She also made a key block earlier, and a big steal when AU was closing. Missed the layup but Davis tipped it in. Hell just 5 assists to 1 turnover is miraculous for this bunch! Jaz has been rock solid all year.

That said, she needs to take the next step and bring some forward momentum to the offense. I believe she could drive and dish alot more.

She's got a nice pull-up jumper once she gets into the key and doesn't make stupid bull-in-the-china-shop offensive fouls there. That's her bread and butter scoring...she's not a long range shooter.

I disagree. Players perform as they are coached or not coached. Also, we do not have to call player or coaches , "dumb". They are performing or coaching in the intense flow of the game. A player or coach can make a bad decision in this kind of intensity , but the overall responsibility lies with the coach to have the players ready for these intense situations.

Keep in mind this is one of KJH better coached SEC games.....LadyVols won!

As I posted in another thread. If Saunders has been ill or injured, Saunders would qualify for a medical redshirt if she doesn't play in any more games than the 10 she has played in this year. That is a better option than wasting a full year by playing her a few minutes in the remaining games.

I must have missed something while watching but can someone explain why Jessie pulled her hands back and let the pass hit her in the chest late in the game? The only reason I can think of is she thought it was going to be tipped.

You'd be very surprised; no injury, no redshirt, and an extremely intelligent girl with no academic issues. Watching practices, she straight bullies Key in the post; Key can never get the ball, much less get a shot off. Saunders is an extremely talented player, coaches just refuse to let her play. Her and Key in the game at the same time would be a nightmare for teams.

Well if you are watching practices, which are closed, you must be pretty close to the program. If what you say is true, it's just another strike against Kellie who looks like a minimal upgrade from Holly (at best) after her first regular season here...

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Boy did Horston show up at the right time! It’s not the best circumstances to pull out a win, but a win is a win. When Holly was coach, we would’ve lost games like this! Let’s go Lady Vols! Let’s surprise everyone in Greenville!
Horston is getting credit for winning the game but she only had 6 points but had 6 turnovers. I don't remember how many times Auburn scored off those 6 but half would have put us ahead by 6 points and there would have been no tie so she probably didn't break even.

Auburn was quicker than us at every position. The lack of quickness is so obviously at the root of nearly every turnover this team makes, and there’s little (probably NOTHING) that can be done to turn inherently slow human beings into quick human beings. The passes are slow and telegraphed because the players are slow. If I am coaching a team of jackrabbits (a creature with 100% fast-twitch muscle fibers), and you are coaching a team of sloths (with 100% slow-twitch muscle fibers), GUESS WHAT? My team of jackrabbits are going to steal your passes and beat you to every loose balls. Would it be fair for your sloth teams’ fans to blame your coaching for all the steals?

We’re slow. Okay. We turn the ball over too often because of it. It is what it is. But I’ll be darned if I didn’t drive 4 hours one way to Auburn to support my slow team as they actually did get their 20th win of the season. And I had a GREAT time and loved seeing the relief on their faces. I’ll drive back home tomorrow a happy fan. :D

There is going to have to be a penalty devised to put a stop to flopping! Some teams rely on it. Perhaps a technical each time?!

Auburn and MIZZOU are both famous for this tactic. MIZZOU wasn’t getting those calls today though. They tried it early in the game and the officials made it clear they were not going to bite on it. The officials for our game couldn’t get enough of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back