Game Thread: LADY VOLS AT AUBURN

If you would've told me they would only score 55 I would've said we won by 15 at least. I had no idea we couldn't put up but 56 on Auburn of course when you give up 24 possession and foul 18 times to their 12 it really even things out.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I plan to watch the entire replay I can get a better idea of how bad these Refs really were. How terrible we were against the press and how we hit like our first 5 out of eight three pointers then missed 12 in a row.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Tennessee is absolutely limping into the postseason, but at least they're in for another year. A shame they can't get two days off at the SECT but their NCAA ticket is punched, and considering this team's significant limitations, that's going to have to be good enough.
The way I'm thinking: It's Kelly's first year, so she gets a pass--and I'm glad they made the NCAA. I'd hate to see that record broken.

These girls have been playing b-ball for a long, long time....it’s on them for dumb as hell and not understanding that you can’t even have the illusion of committing a foul on a 3 point shooter and on a player away from the ball with .6 seconds. I promise you Kellie and the other coaches were telling them not to foul in any shape, form or fashion. That’s not on Kellie, that’s on 2 really talented, but dumb basketball players who know better.
I disagree. Players perform as they are coached or not coached. Also, we do not have to call player or coaches , "dumb". They are performing or coaching in the intense flow of the game. A player or coach can make a bad decision in this kind of intensity , but the overall responsibility lies with the coach to have the players ready for these intense situations.

Reactions: Lucy and volmanNC
If you would've told me they would only score 55 I would've said we won by 15 at least. I had no idea we couldn't put up but 56 on Auburn of course when you give up 24 possession and foul 18 times to their 12 it really even things out.
Especially considering the Lady Vols scored 23 in the 1st quarter. They followed that up with 9, 16, and 8 in the last 3 quarters.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Especially considering the Lady Vols scored 23 in the 1st quarter. They followed that up with 9, 16, and 8 in the last 3 quarters.
Because they started turning it over and not even getting a shot at the basket. They also went cold from the field. I thought we were in good shape with a 10 point lead going into the fourth quarter. I found out no lead is safe with this team.

Because they started turning it over and not even getting a shot at the basket. They also went cold from the field. I thought we were in good shape with a 10 point lead going into the fourth quarter. I found out no lead is safe with this team.
Sounds like an assessment of the men’s team....

The usual stat sheet Burrell 5 turnovers and Horston 6 turnovers. Rennie came in with three today she panicked on a wide open layup and walked then she threw the next possession to the other team. If there is a turnover prevention school in the off season Burrell and Horston need to be sitting in the front row of class.

Reactions: SandyO
If we could come up some sort of plan to take care of the ball I think we could get all the way to the title game in the SEC. That is weird to say after today, but turnovers are the thing holding this team back from competing with the best teams.

They also almost beat MS ST twice (lost one in overtime), and beat LSU, and beat Vanderbilt who just beat Kentucky.
We caught them on a terrible shooting day. I would like to say our defense had something to do with it ,but they got some good looks couldn't make anything. Sometimes you play great like Texas A&M except free throws and lose and play like today and win I will take it.

Unique Thompson their inside post only got three shots today. If we caused that now that was awesome defense cause she can score. If they decided not to get it to her then terrible coaching job by Auburn. I didn't get a good look at many possessions I was to mad about the dumb turnover after dumb turnover we were committing.

So a long time ago, I said a good season for KJH first team would be 20 wins, a mid pack SEC reg season finish, beat who we should beat, keep NCAA streak alive and win at least one game in both tournaments. Check off all so far.

But it sure hasn't been easy or pretty, mostly b/c of our own self-destruction. Turnovers are the obvious villain, and once again today, the bulk of the t.o.s belong to the big 3 cough-uppers, Horston, Burrell, and Davis. With 6, 5 and 3, they accounted for over half our ridiculous total. Rennie kicked in 3 in just 13 mins, so there's 17 of our 24. I have no hope this is going to get under control this season, and will undoubtably be our eventual undoing.

Poor Jordan, and poor KJH figuring out what to do with her. IMO she was right to give Jordan the quick hook when she came in and immediately started her give away routine. But once the offense went stagnant, you had to use her b/c she will move aggressively toward the basket, unlike almost everyone else. Perfect microcosm of JH season, hit the winning shot and then tried feverishly to give it away. She desperately needs the clean slate a new season will bring.

I usually don't like criticizing Davis b/c we'd be worse than Ole Miss without her double double machine. But she did appear to take plays off on defense and still will make the bonehead mistake at crucial times. The last foul call was lame, but she should never have gotten close enough in that pushing match to risk the call. She seems tired to me, not the same since the flu.

Finally, I NEVER criticize Jaz but she must be a bit more aggressive offensively. I so, so appreciate her five assists to only one t.o., also 5 pts, 5 rebs, a steal and a key block. Very solid, as she has been all year. Crazy as it sounds for this team though, she may be too careful, too cautious. She must drive and dish more, show a little more forward momentum on offense.

Hard to remember, but we played a lovely first 6 mins. Then the KJH sub machine started . . .

Auburn shoots 29 percent and almost beats us shooting 43 percent. Not being able to take care of the ball has been painful this season.
Big win for the Ladies today. Kellie has done a very good job with this team. I think she will recruit well and get a very good injured player back for next year. The worm is changing Cain’t wait for the post season and next year.

VN Store

Back