Game Thread: Lady Vols 69 - Chattanooga. 39

@GameTime your Sparky sure favors my Davy. Could be twins.

Cocapoodles are wonderful pals to have...Sparky is my constant shadow, I take him everywhere I go....

Some of the people at Lowes know him now and call him by name when we come in to get whatever...Sparky just eats that stuff up....He sits and shakes hands with em....What a great pal to have....

Sparky and Maggie Mae helped me through the loss of my bride....Lost Maggie Mae this past year....She was only 6 pounds, set in my lap all the time....I still can't hear Rod Stewart sing Maggie Mae..It tears me up everytime..

Maggie Mae looked like this cutie...
Black-and-white-Imperial-Shih-Tzu.jpg

I am glad that Karoline is getting the love she is. I am not sure why Suarez gets knocked down here by some for what I feel is often a better performance. Karoline is so comfortable on offense, but has way farther to go on defense. She repeatedly put no pressure on the players who penetrated the center of the paint where all she needed to do is take a step towards them and raise her hands up. Meanwhile, Suarez defense has been really good. She usually stays right on her opponent without getting beat, and she is typically taller than her opponent. This is why her +/- scores are typically good. She had a very similar offensive stat line as Caroline tonight despite playing fewer minutes. I think she doesn't get as much love here is that even when she doesn't have more turnovers than some of her teammates, hers are unforced and look spectacularly bad. Also, she is scary even when she makes a successful drive to the basket, as her wildness and multiple moves during the drive look like several turnovers ready to happen. Nevertheless, she is definitely able to finish many of those drives in a way that most of our bench player can's barring Hollingshead. Some people seem to forget she has 3 more years of eligibility here, more than Karoline. I am happy for Karoline to get to the start, and to do well with if for the most part. I am actually more excited about the potential of Suarez, despite her wild style. She already has well developed shooting skills, a great rebounder and a stout defender. She just needs to smooth out some of her moves and dribbling so her possessions don't feel like a scary thrill ride :D.

I’m rewatching the game and I like the 2Q lineup of Miles, Powell, Puckett, Darby and Striplin. They had nice offensive chemistry.

Striplin deserves more minutes.

Hollingshead also played nice defense on the Mocs Wazeerud-Din.

UTC was outsized but we played more active defense and communicated better.

We seemed to to move the ball better with Horston on the bench.

I would say we lead the nation in minuets played by entire Roster. With our tough schedule that saying something. When you get into conference play and the grind players tired sick our depth can give us a big lift when one player not feeling it we have another to go to. Continue to get better. In CHRIST Alone
I don’t know the stats, but the team that likely leads the nation in most diff players getting extended minutes is SC, 12 players play every night even against the top teams……I know…..wrong thread for an outsider…I’m sure UT is right there also.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Anyone else see the total lose of what to do, when Suarez threw up three-pointer after one pass toward the end of the last game ? Is she really coaching or is she reacting. I think we're going to lose again tonight. I hope not. I really do hope not. I'm a lady of all fan but I'm not big fan of Kelly's coaching this year. Or last year for that matter. Jordan horsten got hurt in the game. She should never have been in at that point. We were up what 17 at Alabama with like 43 seconds to go. Absolutely no reason for her to have been in the game at that point
You're no fan. We were losing at Alabama trying to get back in the game. You know not what you speak.

I'm convinced Kellie has someone reading this forum....We, all of us, sometimes have great ideas that will help improve their game....Like having two 3 point shooters on the court at the same time, and they did exactly that....Shooting the 3 ball, and they did exactly that...Not being obsessed with going to the rim on every damn possession, and they did exactly that....

And my favorite, letting Justine get a feel for the game, and they did exactly that, and she bombed about a 24 footer as their reward.....Even my dogs barked for her when that baby popped/ripped the net....

Damn, it feels good to win again.....I really needed this!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what my leader of my dog pack "Sparky" looks like....He's still wagging his tail....Sara scored a 3 ball, Horston scored several 3 balls, and Justine ripped the net with a deep 3 ball....The 3 ball is everything!
Cockapoo-Full-Grown.jpg
Maybe you should watch kellie after va tech loss press after game on youtube. she talks about easyer looks and play calling. she also said got find way for more ofence punch.

I don’t know the stats, but the team that likely leads the nation in most diff players getting extended minutes is SC, 12 players play every night even against the top teams……I know…..wrong thread for an outsider…I’m sure UT is right there also.
Cracked me up with the “I know….”.
At this point you are not so much an “outsider” as a long term houseguest😆😆.

Win the games you’re supposed to win. Not sure it’s quiet, just expected to beat UTC (non Wes Moore) pretty easily.

I am starting to wonder if you are bot programmed to type one statement.

So yeah, we know that the LVs are expected to beat UTC. The matter at hand is the way the game was won--without three key players, execution was pretty good and several players got extended minutes (Striplin, Wynn, and Pissott) and each had good moments. Puckett also started to find her shooting groove.

For a team that has had a rough stretch, a game like this help the team build some confidence and cohesiveness. And Hollingshead looked really comfortable on the floor and is building momentum.

I am starting to wonder if you are bot programmed to type one statement.

So yeah, we know that the LVs are expected to beat UTC. The matter at hand is the way the game was won--without three key players, execution was pretty good and several players got extended minutes (Striplin, Wynn, and Pissott) and each had good moments. Puckett also started to find her shooting groove.

For a team that has had a rough stretch, a game like this help the team build some confidence and cohesiveness. And Hollingshead looked really comfortable on the floor and is building momentum.
No bot, just don’t push the teams struggles aside because of a win against a directional school or UT system school. Issues are still there until we can win the games that matter in regards to where you are at the basketball table. Good game for reps and minutes for sure, not a good game to think we’ve arrived.

nothing wrong with celebrating the small wins all the teams have them. We missed 3 kids and won as we should convincingly regardless. Not sure we are ready to say we want Stanford. But a win, a win that’s supposed to happen. Girls needed it for many reasons.

Seems we agree, we phrase it a little differently. I’m more direct and you do a little dance around it.

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
Not just a win tonight team actually looked good doing it. Only 13 turnovers most from three players and forcing Chattanooga into 21, I thought we showed a lot more teamwork and keep working on that defense your always in the game if you can hold your opponent to 60 or less. I am seeing progress with this group feel more optimistic, Maybe some players are finally getting it. Team played a lot smarter in this game keep it up.

Not just a win tonight team actually looked good doing it. Only 13 turnovers most from three players and forcing Chattanooga into 21, I thought we showed a lot more teamwork and keep working on that defense your always in the game if you can hold your opponent to 60 or less. I am seeing progress with this group feel more optimistic, Maybe some players are finally getting it. Team played a lot smarter in this game keep it up.
Hopefully the LadyVols will get a nice winning streak going

I hope the good vibes are real and not fabricated by playing a small school who has no talent compared to you......

I thought Jordan H played efficiently. She didn't appear to force play and played good defense. Hit some nice outside shots. Top scorer and had the fewest minutes other than Kaiya and Edie.

Karo had a better than average game in her first start as a Lady Vol. She is physical and had a bit too much contact occasionally resulting in a foul but overall, the officials let them play. I thought she played better than her stat line shows.

I don't know what has happened with Walker but she seems to have taken a step back. Just does not seem to make the right decisions with the ball in her hands. Been that way all year. Just don't know.....

Jillian played really well given how much she has played this season. IMO, she could be a starter. She's pretty agile for her size and is not afraid of defending the basket. She attacks the basket with skill and has a nice jump hook. I believe Jillian could be a star for us.....maybe by the end of this year.

Sara played well and hit some nice shots. I was surprised she played more minutes than any other player.

Jasmine P. tried to shoot herself out of a mini slump but was unable to hit some wide open shots. Need to hit some of those to get some confidence.

I guess some are sad we won but this game was a stepping stone and as such was not pretty at times. With Key, Jackson and Franklin out, a good chunk of scoring was not present. It was offset by a tough defense and players not named Jordan stepping up. It was good to see Jordan not having to take all the scoring on her shoulders..

Double digit minutes for everyone except Edie.

1670422768554.png
I personally wish they would run their offense and take the best shot when they have the ball for the last shot. Standing out front and dribbling until there is a couple of seconds on the clock then driving into a double or triple team is not working. It's extremely easy to defend. Maybe Jordan can pull it off occasionally.....

Last edited:
Nice summary. Ms. Walker should play within her abilities and stop trying so hard to be flashy. I thought this was the most under control and smooth game Ms. Horston has played in recent memory. She's the go to LV and last night she showed exactly why. Unlike some other folks, I do not favor Ms. Suarez's style of play. Her size and strength suggest she should be down low and doing the tough work of rebounding. But someone has told her she is a ball handling guard. Maybe in Europe, but here, she is kind of too slow, imo. Leave that role to Powell and Miles. Hollingshead is going to be a star.

The Lady Vols held Chattanooga to opponent season lows in four specialty stats categories. Chattanooga generated only four points off turnovers, 14 points in the paint, five second-chance points and no fast break points. The Lady Vols scored season highs of 19 points off turnovers and 18 fast breaks.

Reactions: Bret178
I thought Jordan H played efficiently. She didn't appear to force play and played good defense. Hit some nice outside shots. Top scorer and had the fewest minutes other than Kaiya and Edie.

Karo had a better than average game in her first start as a Lady Vol. She is physical and had a bit too much contact occasionally resulting in a foul but overall, the officials let them play. I thought she played better than her stat line shows.

I don't know what has happened with Walker but she seems to have taken a step back. Just does not seem to make the right decisions with the ball in her hands. Been that way all year. Just don't know.....

Jillian played really well given how much she has played this season. IMO, she could be a starter. She's pretty agile for her size and is not afraid of defending the basket. She attacks the basket with skill and has a nice jump hook. I believe Jillian could be a star for us.....maybe by the end of this year.

Sara played well and hit some nice shots. I was surprised she played more minutes than any other player.

Jasmine P. tried to shoot herself out of a mini slump but was unable to hit some wide open shots. Need to hit some of those to get some confidence.

I guess some are sad we won but this game was a stepping stone and as such was not pretty at times. With Key, Jackson and Franklin out, a good chunk of scoring was not present. It was offset by a tough defense and players not named Jordan stepping up. It was good to see Jordan not having to take all the scoring on her shoulders..

Double digit minutes for everyone except Edie.

I personally wish they would run their offense and take the best shot when they have the ball for the last shot. Standing out front and dribbling until there is a couple of seconds on the clock then driving into a double or triple team is not working. It's extremely easy to defend. Maybe Jordan can pull it off occasionally.....

I have been a Jordan Walker supporter her whole time here. Yes, at PG she was a bit up and down but more often than not she got the job done and played with great heart. Though the off guard spot is supposedly her natural position, she is not a great shooter and she did not work well in that spot given the team needed more of shooting threat. As back-up PG, it is not going well this season. I agree she is trying to force her scoring too much. She, like Marta, has been trying too hard to have an impact (though Marta now seems to be settling in!).

Jordan is a great trooper but I feel that Brooklyn has earned the right to get most of those back-up minutes. She is a better defender, runs the offense better and has a longer future with the team so her continued development is important,

Last edited:
I was thinking that a week ago! I’ve adopted Rooster in my eyes! 😂

Yeah, it's hard not to like someone who posts 30 times a day mostly schmoozing hard to be one of the gang. Thanks, I'll pass on the chicken in favor of beef and on sexist avatars that objectify women. Thank a farmer if you ate today.

Last edited:
I have been a Jordan Walker supporter her whole time here. Yes, at PG she was a bit up and down but more often than not she got the job done and played with great heart. Though the off guard spot is supposedly her natural position, she is not a great shooter and she did not work well in that spot given the team needed more of shooting threat. As back-up PG, it is not going well this season. I agree she is trying to force her scoring too much. She, like Marta, has been trying too hard to have an impact (though Marta now seems to be settling in!).

Jordan is great trooper but I feel that Brooklyn has earned the right to get most of those back-up minutes. She is a better defender, runs the offense better and has a longer future with the team so her continued development is important,
Jordan could play a good role if she didn't think she was one of the main scorers. She is not. She is good defensively and can set up players if she want to, but she is much more inclined to try to do something on her own that usually fails. Marta after a couple of horrible plays went to the bench and played a lot more under control in the second half didn't do as much forcing and did a good job. I like Puckett over her for the most minutes she does not try to force anything has some fairly good moves in the low post although she missed a couple in there everybody does.

VN Store

Back