Game Thread: Lady Vols 69 - Chattanooga. 39

Yeah, it's hard not to like someone who posts 30 times a day mostly schmoozing hard to be one of the gang. Thanks, I'll pass on the chicken in favor of beef and on sexist avatars that objectify women. Thank a farmer if you ate today.
To each their own, I’m not in that crowd cause there was a time I was apart of the Boneyard and despised people we weren’t welcoming. No need to be rude or dismissive of fans of other teams when they don’t have an active space of their own.

Excerpt from Postgame quotes....

On trying to game plan with players being out…

"I'll tell you what, it's actually been quite difficult. We battled some concussions early in the season already, and then here again this week. It's not always easy, but that's where having the adversity of missing players, we've had other people really step up. Someone asked me at radio about adversity, whether that's losses or not having all of your teammates out there, and how they're handling it. And they're handling it like you want them to handle it. They're attacking it every single day. Great teams don't become great without adversity. They don't. And our players have to understand that this is a moment that can define who you are. It's not always easy, but that's okay. We can figure it out even in tough times."

Probably the best time for something like this if it has to happen. I can see much better overall play. Good defense so far, Stanford will expose flaws so we'll see how things go from here.

Sounds like from kellie last two youtube presses after game practies will be harder. she told them evermore like this. It paid off last game. Sara said they had run plays over if not done right. using a word kellie use grit might be what see more of.

The fact is, we have played decent 5 of the last 6 games compared to the first few games. They are melding into a team. If Jackson can be part of the team, I could easily see us having an impressive SEC record and making noise in the tournaments.

And probably would have played better that 6th game if we had put significant work into preparing for that Ohio State press.

"I'll tell you what, it's actually been quite difficult. We battled some concussions early in the season already, and then here again this week. It's not always easy, but that's where having the adversity of missing players, we've had other people really step up. Someone asked me at radio about adversity, whether that's losses or not having all of your teammates out there, and how they're handling it. And they're handling it like you want them to handle it. They're attacking it every single day. Great teams don't become great without adversity. They don't. And our players have to understand that this is a moment that can define who you are. It's not always easy, but that's okay. We can figure it out even in tough times."

Probably the best time for something like this if it has to happen. I can see much better overall play. Good defense so far, Stanford will expose flaws so we'll see how things go from here.
Stanford tara she got one of best freshmen point guards she had. She might have said the best.

I’m rewatching the game and I like the 2Q lineup of Miles, Powell, Puckett, Darby and Striplin. They had nice offensive chemistry.

The problem I noticed in the UTC game with Miles is that the UTC players wouldn't guard her off the ball. Zero respect that she could beat them shooting a 3. UTC was sagging off her in a major way and that was making things more difficult for her teammates. If she could ever develop a decent shot, just good enough to require being guarded, she could really be something.

The reason I still have confidence in CKH if even tho things aren't going great is she is working on answers and solutions, and in doing that she projects confidence in herself at the press conferences. I never got that with CHW, she always seemed frustrated and lost as to how to fix things. I would have enjoyed playing for CKH back when I was able to climb a flight of stairs without getting winded.

The UTC game almost seemed like a Puckett test. Is she going to be a key player this year or not? She passed with flying colors IMO.

The UTC game almost seemed like a Puckett test. Is she going to be a key player this year or not? She passed with flying colors IMO.
Agree. And same for Jillian. The only good luck KJH has had lately is the current homestand and relatively easy games coming up. With players out and a bad, definitely not Wes Moore type UTC team in the house, it was the perfect chance to finally let the sophs just play. You could tell she was particularly determined to see Sara and Jill for extended time. That makes me happy because I think those two, plus Franklin, are the most likely to help off the bench.

I thought both played very well. Sara had 4 assists! That's one of the reasons I'd play her over Marta.

AND 0 turnovers to Marta's 3 in double the minutes. I like that Puckett knows her limitations and doesn't try to do too much.
As crazy it sounds, the five we started last night is a pretty darn good grouping. They played together very well. Powell can handle ball, the other three kinda got out of way to let Horston do her thing. Then, they all three hit 3-balls when you left them open. Reminded by of Michael Jordan and the Jordanaires.

From the bench, Jill was my MVP. She helps immediately.

Wynn is fast but I don’t know.

As someone said last night, we have a collection of guards who aren’t great shooters.

I have Miles at bottom. Pissott can get minutes in early games, but don’t see her helping much this year. Jury still out on Marta…what energy! I like Powell over Walker.

With Jill being that good, and Kato also able to fill middle, we should realize that we can beat some decent teams even when Key has foul problems.

They looked good and appeared to be having great fun last night.

Last edited:
The problem I noticed in the UTC game with Miles is that the UTC players wouldn't guard her off the ball. Zero respect that she could beat them shooting a 3. UTC was sagging off her in a major way and that was making things more difficult for her teammates. If she could ever develop a decent shot, just good enough to require being guarded, she could really be something.

She needs more confidence. She’s 1/5 on 3s for the season. Practice will help and she’s gotta shoot more. Developing a midrange game could really help. She's one of my favorites. Love her defensive tenacity.

.....Great teams don't become great without adversity. They don't. And our players have to understand that this is a moment that can define who you are. It's not always easy, but that's okay. We can figure it out even in tough times."

Worth a repost. If you don't like Kellie, might want to get up and get some coffee......then scroll past the post.....

Kellie is going to get this season pulled together. They are getting better every game. All those minutes Kellie gave the subs paid off last night. So glad we have great coaching and great players. It is only a matter of time with this team. You don't just flip a switch to improve. They have to learn how to play together and they are getting closer to that understanding.

Worth a repost. If you don't like Kellie, might want to get up and get some coffee......then scroll past the post.....

Kellie is going to get this season pulled together. They are getting better every game. All those minutes Kellie gave the subs paid off last night. So glad we have great coaching and great players. It is only a matter of time with this team. You don't just flip a switch to improve. They have to learn how to play together and they are getting closer to that understanding.

I am all for that!!

George Washington was the ultimate master at this strategy..

Even when things look bleak, sometimes, things just work out.

VN Store

Back