Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

Just no reason not to have a defender on everybody. No way they were going to throw it around it was a catch and throw whomever got it. I'd rather have a player in their face than a clear look. Four on five if you don't defend the inbounds should be to your advantage.
Didn’t make sense for Rickea to guard the inbounds pass either. Because she played off the inbounder. If anything probably should’ve had Key play the pass since Raven was inbounding and make them through it backcourt.

They've been using this the last little while and Rickea has been rolling up assists. One thing Kellie has added to RIckea's game is she's an excellant passer. Actually started this when Strip came in the first half, and it turned the tide. A really nice coaching adjustment, lost in the shuffle.

I said earlier our three games against them provided the blueprint. Problem is, very few other teams have a RIckea. The other part of the blueprint is how well we've controlled Pao Pao all three times. God love JP, she played tenacious D.
And very few teams have a Key who can neutralize Cardoso, to some extent. The close games that South Carolina have played in this year, are the ones where they weren't able to overwhelm their opponents on the boards.
Not that many teams that can battle SC evenly in rebounds.

We seem to be a little snake bit this season anyway. The Notre Dame game. HVL making 8 in a row couldn't throw one in the ocean against Ole Miss even though they won and yesterday.

1.1 seconds you body everybody up and all you have to do is deflect the pass and the game is over. No way to get a good shot up unless you do what we did yesterday leave a player totally unguarded. We also had a foul to give so you could foul somebody after the catch. If we'd been close to her could've just fouled her after the catch. Just to big a percentage to win and somehow we lost.

ICYMI

Painful deja vu. Remember the missed obvious double dribble against LSU at a crucial time?

Same official who spent several minutes coming up with a way to call a foul on Sara Pucket when replay clearly showed time was expired at end of third quarter as he blew the whistle. Did not know that official could use replay to ascertain that. Thought that checking for flagrant fouls and out of bounds were reasons for checking replay. Nonetheless oar Lady Vols did a great job in coming back in this game.

In a game like this you can find many reasons for the loss but Powell missing both FT's was the real bad luck at the end.
To me it looked like JP missed the free throws on purpose. I guess hoping for TN rebound and game pretty much game over.

By far the most heartbreaking loss since that horrible day against Duke which ended this lady's playing career

I said the exact same thing. Can't remember a more heartbreaking Lady Vol loss since that one. Maybe the 2003 National Championship game - I remember Pat being devastated that she couldn't get that natty for Kara and Gwen.

I wouldn’t have called one if we had one. Don’t give Dawn the chance to set up a play…of course she set it up from the side court anyway… 😒
I think had 2 timeouts and also more important a foul to give. She should have called timeout and set something up. Cardosa regularly hits shots regularly foul line area. A practice shot, think the odds are pretty good she hits it. Key , Hollingshead or Jackson contesting inbound pass

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Yep. If they are dog piling, gotta let them dog pile. I guess once you get past that 20 or so straight wins you can forget to respect your opponent.
Last two minutes of Tennessee vs South Carolina YouTube video channel WBB Clips
Posted a video that showed one South Carolina Gamecocks
Who went through the handshake line.
Think she might been# 6
Couldn't see her jersey# clear
@chuckiepoo
Maybe someone knows who she is don't watch as much as others of other teams besides lady Vols

Drawing up a 3 LOL.that was a pure luck bank in, you take it and say darn we got all the best players and still need luck to win
We had already beaten you guys twice this season. & everyone knows it's extremely hard to beat a team 3 times in a row. Maybe you should be upset at your coach for her team being wishy washy & not playing with maximum effort all the time.

Your post just rubbed me the wrong way like the lady vols never had any luck on their side in any close wins over the years.

I have read a few bad things posters have said about the Lady Vols’ lose to
USC, however, I refuse to castigate the ladies because the they gave up a 3 point basket to a player who had never scored a three. Should the player have been covered, undeniable. Am I dejected, of course I am. Am I disappointed, very much so. But after falling behind by 23 points, these ladies could have packed it in and given up, but they didn't. Lop off the first quarter and this was the best coaching and playing we have seen in a long time. The only thing that saddens me is why can't we play like this all the time? Why can't we coach like that all the time? Why is it that we can’t play with that same energy every game? For 3/4 of a game we played like we could beat any team in the nation. Whatever was said, or done, after the first quarter of the game, needs to be repeated over and over again.

My point is people are screaming should have guarded Cardoso at 3 point line. I say let her shoot it.

Reverse the situation if Keys had received the ball at 3 point line . Would you have had a problem with Cardoso not scurrying out to contest the shot. That most often Keys don't come close to hitting.
I understand that Jackson was supposed to cover Cardosa while Key protected against a lob inside. Kelly even said there was a miscommunication.

DS wanted to get the ball to a shooter but soon realized there wasn't enough time for Cardosa to make a pass so she told her to go ahead and "shoot the damn ball". She used those strong words because Cardosa has always been reluctant to shoot from long range. Not because she couldn't make the shot but because it's not the normal role of a post player.

For years after practice Coach Boyer has had the bigs shooting from outside.You might recall it worked well for Boston and maybe it paid off for Cardosa.

VN Store

Back