Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

And Cardosa was standing unguarded at the free throw line when the inbound throw was made. Should have called time out to set up, very unorganized but SC players seemed to know where they should be. Cardosa had to step out a couple steps to catch the ball which made it a 3 point shot. Team didn't give up despite very bad start. SC player double dribbled coming up court and ref didn't call it.

I wouldn’t have called one if we had one. Don’t give Dawn the chance to set up a play…of course she set it up from the side court anyway… 😒
Monday morning quarter back ING
Get Wynn in and they each player their man to guard if they called time out.

The ref didn't call the first foul. His hand didn't go up until 00 on the clock. You can't go back and call the first foul when you missed the first time. Rigged.
If you do that should review all the Miss calls where they miss where a player was knot down or push ..
If they are going to go back and call fouls they miss or wouldn't call
Tennessee wins by double 10 Points

Taking the number one team on is not easy task. I respect this team and the coaching staff for the effort they gave yesterday. Do I wish we had played that last play differently sure, but it is what it is. Does not takeaway at all how much effort this team gave to come back from way down and have a chance to win the game. Even in losing looks like Creme has moved us to a seven seed with an arrow up. Looking forward to the NCAA Tourney think we can win against anyone we play.

Cardoso shoots them all the time in practice. That was a practice 3 pointer. I will guarantee she would hit that shot more than 1 out of 100 times. You don't let anyone take a practice 3 pointer.
When she she shoots them all the time in practice (as you say) does she practice banking them in or not?

Yes it was a lucky shot if South Carolina fans can't admit that then so be it..
Well, considering how the most accurate 3-point shooters only make 35 percent of their shots....you can call it luck. You also have to take into account that you have to try many times to get the distance down and how much arch and push to put on the ball, so practice is necessary. She wouldn't have made 3-10 even if she was elite. Luck was a part of it....but luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Just saying.

Yeah, I suspect even those who don’t much care for using time outs will have to admit that using one yesterday for everyone — players AND staff — to reaaaaaalllly think the situation through and then plan accordingly, would have been helpful.

Kellie said they didn’t call a time out because South Carolina didn’t have one, so I guess she was trying to limit THEIR time to thoroughly prepare for that final moment.

But it was, IMO, a mistake to not take a couple of minutes to settle everyone down and talk ALL of the possibilities through. If they’d taken a time out, it’s possible someone on the staff may have realized that using that last non-shooting foul they had left to give would have been a smart move.

The result of not using one yesterday may have been the single most outstanding example of why a staff should use their time outs. That South Carolina DIDN’T have one was irrelevant. WE had an opportunity to be better prepared for the moment and we intentionally passed on it.

But none of this will ever take away the pride we should all feel in how hard the team fought. Man, that was really sometime special!! 🧡

Watched Maria’s interviews with the players (Jewel linked above but also Jill, Strip, Kaiya, and Tess) because I’m a glutton for suffering, I guess. Everyone mentioned their pride in each other and Kellie’s pride and love for them, and they should be. I was ready to turn the game off after the first quarter, and I don’t think I’ve been more impressed with the play this season in the remainder of the game. The missed double dribble just feels par
for the course this season. This team (and Kellie) really deserve a break, and I’d love to see them get one in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah, I suspect even those who don’t much care for using time outs will have to admit that using one yesterday for everyone — players AND staff — to reaaaaaalllly think the situation through and then plan accordingly, would have been helpful.

Kellie said they didn’t call a time out because South Carolina didn’t have one, so I guess she was trying to limit THEIR time to thoroughly prepare for that final moment.

But it was, IMO, a mistake to not take a couple of minutes to settle everyone down and talk ALL of the possibilities through. If they’d taken a time out, it’s possible someone on the staff may have realized that using that last non-shooting foul they had left to give would have been a smart move.

The result of not using one yesterday may have been the single most outstanding example of why a staff should use their time outs. That South Carolina DIDN’T have one was irrelevant. WE had an opportunity to be better prepared for the moment and we intentionally passed on it.

But none of this will ever take away the pride we should all feel in how hard the team fought. Man, that was really sometime special!! 🧡
Dawn didn’t need one. She saw what we were in and made a play on the fly to win.

Dawn didn’t need one. She saw what we were in and made a play on the fly to win.
It's why your bench is on the end you'll finish on. Her players could hear her. Kellie was trying to set up defense but they couldn't hear her. In retrospect, of course she should have used the t.o. But Dawn said she wouldn't have either, it's a 50/50 coaching call, which naturally went against KJH.

Poor, poor JP. Can't stop thinking about her. I didn't see her Mom w the other Moms this weekend, hate she wasn't here. Hate that it gets lost what a freaking great job JP did guarding Poa Poa. In fact, one of the reasons we played them so close everytime was how well we controlled their guards. I think we set a blueprint for their future opponents.

Dawn said she wouldn't have called one. It's a 50/50 coaching call whether to give them a chance to draw up a play. I think KJH was reasonable to think our veteran players could have set themselves up better on defense. Of course, in hindsight, they should have used the t.o.

The foul, which you almost always do if you have one to give, turned out to be a big disadvantage. Sara was trying to get the last foul we had to give called before the final shot went up. The irony of a foul not called on us.

But it was the missed free throws . . .

Sure there was luck involved like those missed free throws that could have sealed it but every game has some elements of luck.
My point is people are screaming should have guarded Cardoso at 3 point line. I say let her shoot it.

Reverse the situation if Keys had received the ball at 3 point line . Would you have had a problem with Cardoso not scurrying out to contest the shot. That most often Keys don't come close to hitting.

VN Store

Back