Game Thread: #5 Tennessee (19-11, 10-6 SEC) vs #1 South Carolina (30-0, 16-0 SEC) Saturday 3/9/24 ~4:30 pm ET (ESPNU)

I can understand the need to blame somebody for the sad ending, but…

what about a coach who had a huge lead after one quarter, and “let” the other team
come back to tie it up? Should she be fired for coaching malpractice? Come on now, she is undefeated, has a big talent advantage, a big double digit lead against a team with an inferior record, and allows them to tie the score with just seconds left. That should lead some loyal fans to call for her head on a pike, shouldn't it?

What's good for the goose and all that, right?

My point is people are screaming should have guarded Cardoso at 3 point line. I say let her shoot it.

Reverse the situation if Keys had received the ball at 3 point line . Would you have had a problem with Cardoso not scurrying out to contest the shot. That most often Keys don't come close to hitting.
Of course they should have at least made a run and waved at Kamilla, careful not to foul. Not sure it would have mattered, but a couple of our best players simply didn't react. Sad but true. Also should have closely guarded the inbound. Not sure if that was coaching decision or player disorganization.

Key, standing 15 feet away from the shooter, with her arms straight up in the air like she's being robbed (the irony) shows the value of how badly a strategic timeout was needed at that point...Kellies use of time outs, or lack of, has been questioned for years on this board...

Of course they should have at least made a run and waved at Kamilla, careful not to foul. Not sure it would have mattered, but a couple of our best players simply didn't react. Sad but true. Also should have closely guarded the inbound. Not sure if that was coaching decision or player disorganization.
Well I watched Iowa dare Raven Johnson to shoot the 3 in FF and never attempted to guard her.

But everyone has different views.

Rather Cardoso shoot uncontested three than Pao Pao is all I'm stating..

Dawn said she wouldn't have called one. It's a 50/50 coaching call whether to give them a chance to draw up a play. I think KJH was reasonable to think our veteran players could have set themselves up better on defense. Of course, in hindsight, they should have used the t.o.
Personally, I would rather err on the side of going down after using a proactive solution to make something happen in my favor (using the time out/making that last non-shooting foul) than take the passive approach by just hanging back and letting their actions dictate what happens next.

The timing of the free throw misses was tragic, but I don’t blame that at all. There were plenty of other free throws and missed baskets by us, as well as points SC got that they shouldn’t have — those free throws on that foul called on Sara at the end of the 3rd — were all plays that affected the score.

I guess Edie is the only player to not have done at least one thing to affect the score by at least two points. It’s a 40-minute game that we never scored a point until half of the first quarter was over. All those misses and miscues were just as crucial to the outcome.

I can understand the need to blame somebody for the sad ending, but…

what about a coach who had a huge lead after one quarter, and “let” the other team
come back to tie it up? Should she be fired for coaching malpractice? Come on now, she is undefeated, has a big talent advantage, a big double digit lead against a team with an inferior record, and allows them to tie the score with just seconds left. That should lead some loyal fans to call for her head on a pike, shouldn't it?

What's good for the goose and all that, right?
Boom off the top rope ...

I am finally recovered enough to post something about the game. It literally would have been the most thrilling victory since the days of Pat, so to have that snatched away with a series of extreme situations was so difficult. Two decisions that Coach Harper made were by the books and yet still ended up backfiring: the foul and not taking a timeout. The biggest one to me was the foul we needlessly did at the end of the game. Yes, it is typical to impede the flow in the last seconds if you have a foul to give, but in this case the SC player was already out of control, closely guarded, and in a corner well away from the other SC players with limited vision with just over a second left. I was so upset with the foul when it happened, as I knew it gave SC a chance to calm down and organize a throw in play. Before then, they were completely out of sync. However, that is not on coaching or Jewell as most coaches would have used that strategy. It just was the difference in the game that it was used exactly at that moment.
I like Kellie and thinks she brings a variety of strengths and weaknesses as a coach. Perhaps the most frustrating weakness has been execution at the end of quarters. Even before this game and throughout her career, we have witnessed in almost every game some great last second of the quarter play by the opposing team and/or some really poor execution of the last second play by us (images of Powell bulldozing her way in a crowd rather than giving an assist to an open player is a recurring nightmare). And remember, the crazy ass foul at the end of the half at mid court with less than a second left, which gave SC a gift of two points that ended up being more than the margin of the game. Yes, we have had a few successful quarter endings, but not nearly as much as our opponents.
It is understandable but still dead wrong that the very thing that people are calling for Kellie's head comes at a time when Kellie is coaching her butt off. This team has improved more during the season than any LV team has that I have ever seen. No, there are nowhere near Pat's best team, but it has really been remarkable how much better they have become over the course of the year. Could anyone even imagine this team playing this type of overall defense of the past several games against the best teams in the country? Also, it was Kellie's coaching adjustments that helped fuel our unbelievable comeback. She also made great adjustments in the Alabama game. We almost always do much better if we face a team we lost to a second time, which is in part due to coaching adjustments. So, I know Kellie will need to prove that she can recruit better and also get some high level transfer players with the players we are losing this and next year. However, I think her actual coaching this year actually gave me more confidence in her coaching ability than anything she has done beforehand. A hater can always point to instances that don't support this viewpoint, but no one can argue that this team hasn't dramatically improved during this year.

Key, standing 15 feet away from the shooter, with her arms straight up in the air like she's being robbed (the irony) shows the value of how badly a strategic timeout was needed at that point...Kellies use of time outs, or lack of, has been questioned for years on this board...
GameTime, somewhere else in this thread a couple of posters said that CKJH was yelling at Key to stay where she was to prevent a lob pass at the rim (Something I can't ever remember seeing in a last second attempt in a wcbb game).
Since they weren't guarding the inbound pass, that left an extra defensive player to pick up an open player. But that didn't happen.
There's only 1.1 seconds left. It's a catch and immediate shoot situation for whoever gets the ball. Any resistance the defense can provide decreases the chances of the offensive player making the shot. The problem was, there was no defensive pressure, anywhere.
Neither on the inbound pass or the shooter.

When she she shoots them all the time in practice (as you say) does she practice banking them in or not?

Any coaches whom I've ever known has players practicing shots they expect to be taking in games. Given that Cardoso doesn't shoot those shots in games, why would she waste time practicing them? That odd thought, to paraphrase Staley, "doesn't smell too good right now.".

Like many players, Cardoso may goof around and shoot shots for fun ) including half-court heaves) at the end of practice or when just fooling around, but if it was really a thing, she'd have been popping out and shooting the occasional three every now and then.

Love these players so much. Said lots yesterday when very emotional. They left it all on the court, just very sad for them that they didn’t get the victory they earned.
agree VB
These kids have grown despite all the drama
proof is not how the game ended, but how the game started and how it go to that end

These girls are ready for the NCAA,,,,Elite 8 here we come

Two decisions that Coach Harper made were by the books and yet still ended up backfiring: the foul and not taking a timeout. The biggest one to me was the foul we needlessly did at the end of the game. Yes, it is typical to impede the flow in the last seconds if you have a foul to give, but in this case the SC player was already out of control, closely guarded, and in a corner well away from the other SC players with limited vision with just over a second left. I was so upset with the foul when it happened, as I knew it gave SC a chance to calm down and organize a throw in play. Before then, they were completely out of sync. However, that is not on coaching or Jewell as most coaches would have used that strategy.
Great post, thanks. Exactly, by the book coaching calls that fell to the incredible bad fortune of this team. Dawn said she wouldn't have taken the t.o. As for the foul, no way of knowing the SC player would panic, right after she double dribbled almost off the refs foot. Jewel is apparently taking the foul really, really hard.

And my God poor JP. Reminds me of that Utah player who gifted LSU the natty last year w her missed fts in the FF.

My point is people are screaming should have guarded Cardoso at 3 point line. I say let her shoot it.

Reverse the situation if Keys had received the ball at 3 point line . Would you have had a problem with Cardoso not scurrying out to contest the shot. That most often Keys don't come close to hitting.
The thing is the Tennessee knew she was going to shoot it if she caught it. There was 1s left on the shot clock, so no time for a pass. Once they saw the ball heading to her, everyone should have rushed her screaming. At least make her work for it.

Well I watched Iowa dare Raven Johnson to shoot the 3 in FF and never attempted to guard her.

But everyone has different views.

Rather Cardoso shoot uncontested three than Pao Pao is all I'm stating..
I guarantee you that if Iowa was up 2 with 1.1 seconds left in the game, they wouldn’t leave Raven Johson alone, by design, to take an unguarded 3 point shot.

Of course leaving Kamilla wide open wasn't by design.
I'm not so sure. If, in fact, Key was directed to stay near the rim to protect a possible lob pass, that leaves whoever wasn't guarding the inbounds player (Rickea ?) to do what ? What were her instructions, if any ?
Maybe a timeout would have made responsibilities clearer.

So now the fan base has blamed JP, Keys, the refs and of course Kellie Harper.

So who gets the credit for fighting back from a 13-0 start and a 23 point deficit during game?
I wish they had used Rickea like this all year as a primary playmaker. 8 assists and 1 to…wow. Against SC. That little two man game she was doing with Key was nearly unstoppable because they couldn’t sag off Jackson because she had a lethal jump shot. They out scored SC something like 51-30 after falling behind by 20+ late in the 2nd quarter.

Tennessee inadvertently also provided the blueprint for how to beat SC, and it largely centers around having the best player take over. They are deep with excellent players, but they don’t have a star (yet) that you can get the ball to and watch them work. I could see them losing to Iowa again or USC if Watkins goes nuts, but much like the banked 3 by a 6’7 center, the stars will all need to align.

I'm not so sure. If, in fact, Key was directed to stay near the rim to protect a possible lob pass, that leaves whoever wasn't guarding the inbounds player (Rickea ?) to do what ? What were her instructions, if any ?
Maybe a timeout would have made responsibilities clearer.
Yes TK was directed to the rim, but should have come out when Kamilla stopped. Also, RIckea could have reacted more quickly to make a run at her. And JP should have hit the fts, and in that one particular situation, Jewel shouldn't have given the foul.

All painfully horrible, none the coach's fault. Those are veteran players. Without whom we'd be nowhere.

Just no reason not to have a defender on everybody. No way they were going to throw it around it was a catch and throw whomever got it. I'd rather have a player in their face than a clear look. Four on five if you don't defend the inbounds should be to your advantage.

I wish they had used Rickea like this all year as a primary playmaker. 8 assists and 1 to…wow. Against SC. That little two man game she was doing with Key was nearly unstoppable because they couldn’t sag off Jackson because she had a lethal jump shot
They've been using this the last little while and Rickea has been rolling up assists. One thing Kellie has added to RIckea's game is she's an excellant passer. Actually started this when Strip came in the first half, and it turned the tide. A really nice coaching adjustment, lost in the shuffle.
Tennessee inadvertently also provided the blueprint for how to beat SC, and it largely centers around having the best player take ove
I said earlier our three games against them provided the blueprint. Problem is, very few other teams have a RIckea. The other part of the blueprint is how well we've controlled Pao Pao all three times. God love JP, she played tenacious D.

VN Store

Back